Burning wood smell
For at least half of any given day, I'm smelling burning wood and I'm no where near a fire!  I would love a physician's opinion in this. Is it remotely common?  Typically the sign of something more serious?  Time for an MRI?
I don't think it is out of the ordinary for MS'ers to have 'strange' smells as well as the typical strange paraesthesia's.  For quite awhile I could smell a really stale smell that everyone assured me wasn't real.  It's now gone, but unfortunately my sense of taste went with it   :-(
I do not want to frighten you and I am not medically trained, however I have heard that smelling burning can indicate a stroke. I'm sure this is not the case with you, but would strongly advise that you see a Dr, or at least speak to one.
I smell coffee sometimes in certain rooms..............not sure about the stroke idea, Poppy, my husband and I often smell cigarette smoke in a room that no one has smoked in..........only on occasion.......double we would both have a stroke at the same time, LOL

I've not chalked it up to MS, just to wierd stuff......
Strange smells, including burning can be a sign of trouble. I just googled it and was very surprised at the number of sites that came up.

We are not doctors, but I think you should see one as soon as possible.

Kyle
I too get a strange smell.  It is sometimes reported with MS but I won't necessarily blame it on that.

My phantom smell is a scorched one - you know the smell when you first start your furnace for the winter heating season and you get whiffs of dust and lint being cleared out?

I've suspected it comes from my hair at times - and stopped using my flat iron to see if that makes a difference.  It doesn't.

I've been at work and had this happen and none of my coworkers smell anything.  I've asked!

It's a crazy thing to have happen and I know we've discussed this before - quite a few years ago.  

Still I would agree with everyone else - you need to be seen by your doctor.

Laura

Thank you all for your help. I've just set up an appt with a neurologist about it....
I have been smelling burning wood for over a month now.  It is as if someone lit a fire and did not open the flue.  It makes food and drink taste weird as well.  I have been told in the past that I had 'sinus disease' based on a CT scan of my face for swelling and pain.  I am not experiencing any sinus pain or pressure at this time.  have not for a long time.  help
Hi JW - Welcome to our group.

This thread is a little on the old side. It was last updated almost a year ago. There is a current thread on the topic of burning smells located here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/E-stim-Stockings-and-Burnt-Matches/show/2175787

You may get better response there.

Kyle