Multiple Sclerosis Community
Butt numbness

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Butt numbness

Hi.

For the past 3 days, I have had a numbness/discomfort in both of my butt cheeks.  It feels like your rear end feels after sitting in a car for hours on end.  But it feels like that all the time.  Sitting, standing, laying down, etc...  I have tried tylenol, advil and neprox sodium and nothing helps.  Could this be my ms?  Can't find this listed as a symptom anywhere.  Has anyone else had this?  
Hmmmm.  It sounds somewhat enjoyable, but come to think of it, it's most likely not.....

It is certainly possible that you are experiencing a parasthesia in your gluteus maximus.  Although in MS, I believe it would be odd for it to be bilateral, on both sides of the body, cheek to cheek, so to speak.

Is it actual numbness, or 'pins and needles?'  What have your docs said so far?  Have you had an EMG/NCV done?

Feel well,

Zilla*
For a month or so I had 'burning butt syndrome' so I imagine numb butt is very possible. Are you on any painkillers?

ess
Heh... burning butt syndrome?  That's funny...

My behind is numb on both sides.  I've told hubby to pat me higher up on the bum so I'll feel it!
Hi, instead of writing it all out here, I wrote a little post on paresthesias and put it on the front page.  I hope it helps answer your question.

My worst numb spot is my perineum.   We once had a discussion about numb private parts, and a whole lotta people could commiserate.

Quix
It is pretty much impossible to treat numbness from MS.  The meds for paresthesias do not work.  In a positive paresthesia, the nerve functions, it just does it badly or too much.  You could say it spazzes, and the most effective meds for symptomatic and disturbing paresthesias are usually in the category of "atypical anti-epileptics."  This are meds like carbamazepine, gabapentin, and Lyrica.  It really does make sense to think of nerve pain as a "seizure" of a pain or sensory nerve.  So, treating it with a seizure med makes all the sense in the world.

However, there is no med that will make a non-functional nerve (like the one causing numbness) to begin working.

Quix
Avatar n tn
Thanks for all the info.  I will check out your other post tomorrow quix.  time to get kids to bed and myself there too.  Very tired as of late.

jewski
hi I cant visualize or see pictures in my head they perform an mri but found nothing so if its not directly targeted at my brain where is it please help me out