Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can Amantadine be used long term?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Can Amantadine be used long term?

I am not sure who can answer this for me but my gp has never received a letter from my latest neuro that I first saw in 2008 (big surprise eh) and I will need refills and my gp probably won't know!  he he

My neuro has me on Amantadine for fatigue and I have been on it since September 2009, 1 capsule twice daily and it has done wonders for me!  I still have the odd "incredibly tired, can't keep my eyes open day" but for the most part it has been great!  The neuro only gave me a prescription to last three months and I will need some more but I will have to get the script from the gp.

Can Amantandine be used long term for fatigue?

Thanks so much to whoever knows the answer to this!

Happy New Year to all my buddies here as well!

Lots of Hugs,
Rena
As far as I know it's a go. Amantadine is actually an anti-viral, but was found by accident to be helpful for MS fatigue in some people. Unfortunately I'm not one of them, even at 200 mg/day.

It has a low side-effect profile too, and as you already know, it's inexpensive. If it works, that's great. But of course get your doctor's opinion on this.

Sending good wishes (and Happy New Year!)

ess
Thank you ess..really appreciate your help on this!  I would really be upset if I could no longer use it because it has made my life so much more productive with it.  It's too bad that it doesn't work for you but perhaps another accident will happen with something else soon that will help you!

Lots of Hugs,
Rena
I've taken Amantadine for over 10 years with no long-term (or even short-term) side effects. I depend on it. If I forget to take it in the morning, I can really feel it by about 11 AM.

That, and liberal doses of Diet Dr Pepper, make it possible for me to get through the day.
Yes, it is too bad that Amantadine doesn't help you. According to my neuro, about 25% of people with MS are severely affected by fatigue. And of that 25%, only 25% are helped by Amantadine. That's about 6 out of 100 people with MS. So you have plenty of company.

terpy