Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can I get married again if I have MS? Will someone love me again?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

5306889?1264458072
I´m brazilian, 38 yrs. old,  I lived in USA for 12 yrs., I had been diagnosed with MS in 2005, since then I just have to use a cane to help me with my mobility issues. I would like to get married again, I have no kids and sometimes I begin to think about if someone will ever love me again or I´ll have to live for the rest of my life alone. Unfortunately the person who has MS have a little lack of self-confidence in themselves, it´s not because we want to, is because
some people from society judge us you by our illness what makes me really sad, because I still a human being and want to have a little consideration and to be loved again. And politely I ask you my friends... It´s possible to
remarried again ? Or my love life is completely over ! I have MS, but out of that I feel fine, can work, of course some kind of jobs I can do and others no, but I can have a productive life. Would you love me?

oh my - YES!!  i don't know you and i am newly-back to the board - but i cannot imagine why someone wouldn't love you.  yes, i am sure there are people out there who judge those with MS, those who walk with a cane, those who cannot do certain things BUT there are also a HUGE GROUP OF kind, loving, thoughtful, considerate people.  people who would take the time to get to know "YOU" and not the person with the cane.

YES, you can get married.
YES, you can find love.

you have so much to give of yourself to another person, to children, to your community.  i don't have any advice on meeting people but love yourself first and the rest will come.....

be well.  R

The most important thing is to be comfortable with yourself. If  you project yourself as very needy or as damaged goods you probably won't attract the right kind of person. I had another disability and figured I was destined to never marry.

I learned to like my own company. When I was not looking and happy with my life I met my husband.

None of us knows what the future holds. My one friend married a healthy guy who climbed mountains, white water rafted, and motorcycled across country. He ended up with a rare form of cancer. Another friend was training for a triatholon and was hit by a car and is in a wheel chair.

Only a shallow person wants a person in perfect health there are no guarantees. We do owe it to ourselves and others to do the best we can with our MS. No one wants to be stuck with someone who stops trying either. Basically we are as limited as we choose to be mentally at least. I am not saying to be attractive you have to be in good physical shape, but you do have to make the best of your circumstances and have a positive attitude no matter what.

When my husband comes home I make sure I take an interest in what he has been doing. I try not to make it all about me.

Taking interest in others makes you very attractive.

Also you do not have to feel like you have to settle for losers. There are plenty of those with out MS who are losers. The minute your warning bell sounds walk a way.

I am not my MS.

Alex

Alex....i like that....

I am not my MS.

that will have to be my new mantra.
Absolutely you can!!!!!! Always remeber one thing, YOU HAVE MS, MS DOES NOT HAVE YOU!!!!!

I'll be praying,
Carol
What wonderful answers you've received already!

Van, I remarried in October, even though I use a cane, have some visual problems, and worked in a job with a questionable future (which has now ended).  I'm not diagnosed, either, so this could be something other than MS, possibly something with a significantly more ominous prognosis.

Read the 13th chapter of 1st Corinthians for a good description of true love.  Also, don't let anybody fool you into thinking that desire is based on one's perceived gymnastic abilities.  My late wife was disabled.  My current wife could stand a nip and a tuck here or there, and so could I.  We prefer each other the way God and life have shaped us, however, and none of us know what tomorrow will bring.

Great statement, Alex.  I am not my MS (or whatever I have).  I like that.  U2, Carol.
Hi, Alex, I could be you, as your thoughts mirror mine,  You do have youth and time on your side.  I met and married a man who knew I had MS.  Unfortunately, for other reasons, we are now divorcing and I am no longer a spring chicken at 59.  My disability level sounds like yours.  I do not need a cane at home, but sometimes walk with one in other surroundings.

What I am saying is if you stay in the game, remain social, and confident, you have a very good chance of finding that great guy.  Then when you find him, which you will, do everything you can to let him know you appreciate him and recognize his needs.

I notice you wrote this in 2010.  Have you found love since then?

AnnaElise

If you look on her profile you will see that this is the one and only time she ever posted here, at least using that profile. I'd never seen this message before. It's a bit shocking that someone could feel so hopeless. I hope she found some peace with her situation. I just think of how joyful and in love Nick Vujicic and his wife (and now their child!) seem. Yes, yes, YES, love is never beyond our grasp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3QezBvN1BE