Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can I take melatonin to sleep on sulumedrol

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I need to know if any of you take melatonin to sleep on solumedrol.
I read in the bottle that people with autoimmune diseases shouldn't take it but I need to sleep.
I amm on day two and know what will happen if I don't sleep since this is my second course.

My only other options are benadryl or klonipan.

I have klonipan in the house but try not to take it unless absolutely necessary.

So whats the verdict?  Melatonin, benadryl or klonipan.

Thanks for the hundredth time for all of your support.

Kerri
Benadryl may be the safest of the list.  Most sleep specialists warn that Benadryl can have some adverse effects on REM stage sleep.  My neurologist suggested Flexeril or Zanafelx as better choices.

I typically reach for 10 mg of Valium.

Bob
By the way, my comment about Valium would lead me to take the Klonopin (Clonazepam).

Bob
Thanks.  Soi guess I'll take the klonipan.
I try not to take narcotics because i have been sober for twenty years but at this point my reasons for needing sleep far outweigh the risk of taking the klonipan.

I am wndering what dose I would take.
I think I have 2mg tablets.

I shouldn't take the melatonin at all?

Thanks so much for your help.
The solumedrol is definately helping but the sleeplessness is a killer.

Thanks for all of your help.

Kerri
Kerri,
I would definitely not take the klonipan unless you talk to your doctor, first. There should be no problem with taking the melatonin - it is a naturally ocurring substance and is quite safe.  

I'm not at all sure what cobob was trying to say about valium making him reach for klonipan and hopefully he can explain it further so we can understand his point.

I hope you get some rest tonight - sleepless is a horrible state. Try the melatonin first- it might be just what you need.

hugs,
L
Ker -

Definitely ask the doc before taking it.  Also, I thought melatonin was an immune stimulator among other things like vitamin c. We've talked about it here, but I do not remember the details, so I'll look for the discussions.

All MSers should talk to their docs about immune stimulators - it's the last thing MSers need. Remember, our immune system already went in overdrive (laymens terms here) for the BBB and CNS to be comprimised in the 1st place.

Ker - please make the call. You need your rest, and the doc will understand :)
-shell
My opinion is that side effects are better understood between prescription meds than OTC supplements.  I assumed that a Dr. had prescribed the Klonopin.  My Neuro and PCP are pretty straight forward that vitamins and Calcium are fine, but I should stay away from other supplements since the interaction of these OTC supplements have not been well studied with the other medications.  The  benzodiazepines are well understood and my docs consider them safe for use with my Copaxone, Baclofen, IVSM, Norflex and Lisinopril.  

I have been told to stay away from "dietary supplements" other than a multi-vit, calcium, B-12 and D-3.  

In my case, I'd reach for the  benzodiazepine drug  doctors prescribed.

Bob
My doctor prescribes ativan when precribing steroids since there is such a known interference with sleep.  Maybe call the doctor who prescribed the steroids and ask what he wants you to take in stead  of self medicating?  He can call something appropriate in for you or you can ask if supplements are fine.  I agree with bob that supplements and precriptions don't always mix well.  
Thanks for the explanation, bob.  Now that makes more sense to me. -L
Thanks everyone.
The klonipan was prescribed for me by my psychiatrist specifically for anxiety/insomnia.

Last night I decided to bight the bullet and take the klonipan.
I took 1mg and it worked like a charm,  I felt great all day.
No wide effects and at about 3:00 I felt tired and took a nap.

Can you believe that i was actually above to nap on steroids.

Thanks Bob for the advice.
It really helped and I will take the klonipan again tonight and for the duration of the steroids.

After that I will stop taking them since I don't have any sleep issues when not on the steroids.

I Hqve taken melatonin in the past and never realized that it was something I shouldn't take with ms.

Happy sleep to yell qnd to all. Good night.

Kerri
I take Klonopin and tylenol PM and I still have trouble sleeping..it works after an hour or so enough that i had doze off for a bit.