Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can Lhermitte's feel like chills on neck flexion???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi all,

The other day when I posted, I was having vibrating in my foot on flexion.

Today, I notice when I flex my head/neck, I get what feels like "CHILLS" sensation, which can be in my scalp, down my scapula/shoulder, down into my right leg.

I have had the "chills sensation" in previous years, but now have noticed it with neck flexion.

Can Lhermitte's sign exhibit itself in many different ways?

Thanks all.......

Terri
P.S.

The chills response is delayed slightly until I flex my head back into upright position.....
I'm a limbolander, but I do get the 'chills' or the electric shocking feeling down my spine when I move my neck down.

just wanted u to know you're not alone
You asked: "Can Lhermitte's sign exhibit itself in many different ways?"

The answer to your question is a huge YES.

I won't write in detail all the weird manifestations of Lhermitte's that I've experienced (I've done that previously); suffice it to say that according to MANY people's experiences that I've read about, not to mention my own, Lhermitte's can manifest as many different sensations (shocking, buzzing, vibrating, tensing, paresthesias of various sorts) and in many different places (usually from the neck down, but occasionally up, and sometimes just in particular spots in the lower body or hands) and with various movements (including bending or turning the head, bumping over something on a bicycle, taking a deep breath).

I have not heard of someone having the sensation only after returning the head to normal position, but I suppose that's possible, too! I'm sure that not all neuros would label this as Lhermitte's, but the mechanism must be the same or very similar--movement causing some irritation of the damaged nerve. That's my non-expert "opinion." :)

Nancy (not diagnosed with anything but having unexplained Lhermitte's for 10 years)
P.S. I have definitely had the vibrating in the foot upon neck flexion. Had that for weeks once. Very weird.
Thanks for your replies,

I did end up looking under the Health Pages some info on Lhermitte's manifestation.

I have been having these chills or "GOOSEBUMP" sensations for a lot longer than I originally thought, although now I do notice it a lot of the time when sitting in front of my computer working my job as a medical transcriptionist.  My head/neck is always adjusted in a slightly downward position looking at the screen and not straight forward.

When I go back to the neuro in 2 weeks, I am not sure if it is worth mentioning to him or not; he will probably just shrug it off anyway.

Thanks again...........

terri
Hi terri

I've just hopped over from Neuro Limboland and noticed your question. Thanks for posting it, because this is something I've wanted to know for a while.

I used to get electric tingly shocks all over my shoulders and back of neck. Now I just get icy cold little knives streaking about everywhere. It's always related to position.

So I gather this is also L'Hermitte's? (Dang. I've been trying to convince myself that I was imagining them...) Something else to mention to the neuro, if he's at all interested...:-)

bestest
sammxx

thought I'd add my own question to the mix because lately I have been having what I can only describe as 'electric shocks' from my hands when I open them, go to let go of something or try and pick something up.  

I seem to be highly charged or something because I can't even press a lift button without getting a shock and the other day I managed to give my cat an electric shock when I went to stroke him - poor thing!

Is the hand thing another way of experiencing the L'H or is it different and I'm just weird? LOL

Wishing everyone a happy/healthy weekend
Big hugs
x
My feet tingle and I have a cold rush from my neck down my arms and then my arms get very heavy.

I'm also a transcriptionist but I keep my monitor a littler higher so I don't look down. I actually work off two computers, so maybe moving back and forth between the two keep me from getting locked into one position for too long.

J~
J,

I hope you are doing better today and your hands are not as sluggish.  I know what you mean about the monitor, I am doing the same thing or adjusting the text on page so that it is higher.

My biggest problem lately has been with "editing" voice recognition reports, going along line by line fixing reports because of the old vision thing.  

cydpink,

From what I've gathered is Lhermitte's experiences itself in many different ways.  In the Health Pages at the top right of the page, there is something on this that explains it, which I found very helpful.

Hope everyone is doing okay today!

terri