Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can MS cause TIA-like symptoms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Can MS cause TIA-like symptoms?

The other night I all of sudden had problems with blurry vision, numb arm, face, hand and leg on the left side and trouble understanding or speaking. This only lasted about 20 minutes and then I felt alright again. Not great but better.
I have had this happen to me two other times in my life. Once when I was 19 and then again at about 24. I am now nearly 27. The first two times it happened I was on the pill I assumed that was the cause and went off it. This time it happened I was not on the pill and I am infact 35 weeks pregnant. The doctor doesnt think it was the pill or pregnancy that has caused this and wants me to get an MRI after the baby is born to check for MS.
I have been to doctors in the past concerning flare ups of burning feet, tingling arm/hands and difficulty swallowing through the years (mostly happening in summer) but was told not to worry and never given an explanation. I have been doing some research on MS and these could be symptoms?! Although I do not have any difficulty or weakness in the legs or walking etc..so now I am confused...My blood pressure is normal and what I had the other night I thought was some kind of TIA but obviously not? Can MS cause these breif TIA like symptoms?
When I went in to the emergency dept with numb arms and hands, uncoordination, etc, etc.......they suspected I had had a TIA.

It wasn't until after they shipped me off to another bigger hospital for a CT scan (our local hosp didn't have a ct machine, but does now) that they determined I did not have a TIA, but had white matter disease, possibly MS.

Now I am dx'd with MS, so to answer your question, yes, MS can present like a TIA.

Mike
I'm sure there can be many causes for transient events, so know I am only sharing my own personal experience here.  That being said . . . I (and my neuro) initially thought I was having TIA's, because my most troubling symptoms were transient.  I would have brief episodes were my right arm and leg did not "respond", and I would experience the MS hug for five minutes.  These brief episodes delayed my MS diagnosis and almost resulted in a "small strokes" diagnosis . . . even with the MRI.  Fortunately, I had two MRI's so when comparisons were made and an LP was performed . . . I was diagnosed with MS.  

I do have symptoms that persist such as numbness, tingling, fatigue, brain fog, muscle spasms, blurred vision, etc.  I barely made note of these because the "paralytic type" events were so scary.

Hope this helps,

Sherry    
I too started my journey with what your describing,  transient symptoms, TIA Like .   I was diagnosed with MS in 2008 at the age of 41 after having symptoms for many years.  Looking back now  we can find symptoms I was having such as heat intolerance and extremeeeee fatigue as early as my mid teens   Symptoms picked up again when  I was about 24..which has led me to where I am now.  I had A clear MRI in 99? no lesions at all, then in 2004 when I thought TIA's  lesions showed up,  though they were consistent with MS, I was not diagnosed until another relapse in 2008.  Ive had all the sypmtoms you describe as well as what sherry describes.   I too had a Lumbar Puncture in 2004/5 which was negative.  But was told back then that a Lumbar puncture does not rule out MS only other things bands may not always show unless caught at just the right time during attack.    Thank God LP is not a standard to diagnose (according to my Neuro)  It was the worst headache I ever had in my life for 7 days.  But I blame that on the hospital that sent me home within an hour of having the procedure.
Congratulations on the impending birth, what a joyous occasion!  and Best of Luck to you in finding a cause of your symptoms.

Mike
Thanks everyone for replying. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens when I get tested after the baby.
Just to update others that may come across this post I had the MRI and it was clear so there is nothing to suggest MS. The neuro wants me to do an EEG in a few weeks as she thinks it maybe something electrical going on. I also had blood tests for various things including lupus but they came back clear. I am not sure what to think now. I guess its just a matter of different tests to figure out what is going on! Also I had another one of these episodes a few weeks after I wrote the original post (after I had the baby) which had me worried as I had not had this happen so close together before. I am hoping it doesnt happen again....