Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can a stroke at birth cause MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Can a stroke at birth cause MS?

My daughter was born under duress.  Four years later while getting her checked because her legs do funny things when she walks and runs I was informed that she may have had a stroke during labor.  Her symptoms since then have increased.  She always has pain in her leg joints and now she has tics.  The doctors say the tics are neurological and that they will go away.  I just can't help but think that the cause is from birth, it may not go away and it may get worse, and that is MS.  How would you check for MS? Thanks all.
Hi there, how old is your daughter now?  What does her Dr say about going to a specialist?  a Neuro... what kinds of testing has been done?  

checking for MS isn't easy... it's not like a blood test.. check out our "Health Pages" on the link at the right top side of this page...

they will give you alot of information....

take care
wobbly
undx
A stroke wouldn't cause MS, but it would cause neurological damage to your daughter's brain.  This would explain her unusual gait and tics.  

The problem with MS is it keeps doing damage.  The brain can heal up from neurological damage - the typical MS patient is healing up all the time.  So with brain training, your daughter can walk normally, and reduce or get rid of those tics.  It requires physical therapy - best to start that early, so she doesn't develop any habits that will be hard to get rid of later.    
I think it's pretty safe to say that your daughter's problems most probably may be from a brain injury at birth, as you say.  

She needs to be under the care of a Pediatric Neurologist who will know what testing should be done to identify where your daughter's problems are coming from.

I feel confident saying that she will not develop MS from her current condition.  MS in a child her age would be extremely rare.  Her symptoms do not present as having anything to do with MS.  Which is good news...

I am so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this.  Best Wishes for a complete diagnosis, so your daughter can get the proper treatment.

Heather
Just a thought...maybe this is Cerebral Palsy.  I have a young relative with this disorder and some of what you say sounds familiar to his condition.
You have been given good advice.  A stoke at or before birth can cause all of the things that you have described.  There would be no reason to suspect MS.  I agree that your pediatrician should refer your daughter to a pediatric neurologist.  Then you could get some good answers about what is going on with your daughter.

I would say, that if there was a serious injury to the brain at or before delivery then you should have been seeing problems from the beginning.  You might have seen things like being slow to sit or walk, poor coordination, delayed speech, or what are called delayed developmental milestones.  Has she had any problems like these all along?

Before I was disabled I was a pediatrician.  So I think you are best to get your daughter in to see a child neurologist, as Heather recommended/

Quix