Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can anyone help?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Can anyone help?

This may be a little long winded - but I thought someone on this forum might be able to help.  Around 9 years ago I had huge issues with health related anxiety.  I would read symptoms of a disease and then I would talk myself into actually having that disease.  MS is something I thought a lot about as I was having strange tingling sensations all over my body.  I made several trips to the Dr - who, in the end, thought I was a bit mad!!  Anyway, after a bit of therapy I got over the whole thing until until about 4 months ago when all the same stuff started going around in my brain.  I have some slight tingling in my left foot (which, I must admit, seems worse when I am lying in bed on my left side or after I've crossed my legs) and I think I can feel a buzzing in my arm.  These symptoms are both very subtle (ie. not there if I don't really think about it).  So I guess my question is that if these symptoms 9 years ago were a MS related thing - would they have worsened by now?  It just seems strange that these neuro type things are almost exactly related to my anxiety levels.  May be I should post in anxiety forum also!
ANXIETY CAN CAUSE SOME BIZZARE SYMPTOMS.

BY ALL MEANS YOU ARE VERY MUCH WELCOME HERE,YOU ASK COULD THESE NEUROLOGICAL SYMPTOMS WORSEN OVER 9 YEARS NOT NECCESARILY(FORGIVE MY SPELLING).

MANY WITH MS MAY ONLY HAVE ONE OR TWO SYMPTOMS THEIR ENTIRE LIVES.SOME GO THROUGH LIFE WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING THEY HAVE MS WITHOUT AN AUTOPSY.

THAT SAID ARE SUFFERING ANY ANXIETY,AS THIS IS A SYMPTOM OF MS FOR SOME.

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT YOU SEE YOUR GP AND ASK FOR A NEURO CONSULT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.

T-LYNN

Your post shows just how much people can suffer when they have anxiety, especially over their health.  We have talked about this topic before and on this forum we are inclined to believe what the person tells us.  But, the main message that I hear from you is that you know you can have periods of severe worry and making yourself believe you have a disease.  You know right now that your anxiety levels are running higher than in the past after you got through that period 9 years ago.  And you say you can barely notice these symptoms of tingling or buzzing, unless you pay attention to them.

What we often say here is believe your body.  You know yourself better than anyone ever can.  Are these definite sensations that you know you have like if you have the flu?  When you are really ill, you have no doubt about it.  It sounds to me, and I could be totally wrong, that deep inside you don't really even believe you truly have these sensations except caused by something you understand, like lying on your side.  But, the anxiety, creates fears and causes you to examine and re-examine every new body feeling.  It makes you need constant reassurance.

That said,  MS can occur to someone with anxiety disorder also.  So, no one but you can really tell if you are having abnormal sensations or paresthesias.  It sounds like the anxiety that you have had in the past is creeping back up on you.  If you remember those times, the anxiety, and the fears it creates, rob you of all enjoyment in life.

Yes, severe anxiety can magnify innocent body sensations into what seem like real symptoms.  I would recommend that you take whatever steps are necessary to bring the anxiety under control, through therapy or meds.  Anxiety tends to respond fairly well.  Then see what sensations or "symptoms" you are left with.  If they are still there, then request a neuro referral to relieve your mind.  If you don't control the anxiety first, you know from your earlier experiences that nothing will reassure you.

I hope I have not come across as harsh.  What you are going through is horrible and miserable.  The abnormal brain chemistry colors all of your perceptions and leaves you at the mercy of your imagination.  But, I think trying to control the anxiety first gives you the best strategy of determining the validity of these "paresthesias."   Also, I have read many posts over on the Anxiety forum.  There are very good people there to help walk you through handling these fears.

And you are welcome to keep posting here.  If I am way off the mark, let me know and I would tell you just what Lynn told you.  Get a neuro eval to rest your mind.  I wish you the best in handling this.

Quix
Thank you so much.  I really do think I can feel some of these things, however, I know that I over-analyse also.  I think I am just so in tune with my body that every little twitch gives cause for concern.  I am also slightly worried because I am having a few eyesight issues.  I have an astigmatism (and wear glasses at night) but also don't like looking at really busy patterns etc as they tend to 'move' on me.  Once again, I have to almost think about this to make it happen.  But it is there.  My eyes have played up for around 10 years - if this was MS related is the eye thing more dramatic/constant or can it be very mild/almost not noticeable?  I am 34 year old Mum of 2 litttle ones - and haven't experienced any other problems with muscle weakness, etc.  Have just started running 3 - 4 times per week (about 25 minutes) after the birth of my son and am not having any issues here.  I know that MS can start off as a very subtle disease - but I think you are right in that I need to get my anxiety under control then re-assess.