Multiple Sclerosis Community
Can you tell me a bit about the approval process for DMD's?
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can you tell me a bit about the approval process for DMD's?

From all indications, my appointment with my neuro on the 9th is going to be to pick a DMD. I can't see any other reason why he wants my husband there too.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to start copaxone. My insurance covers it, with a note of "prior authorization" needed. I've never had to deal with a prior authorization medicine before. Is it just the doctor tells the insurance about the diagnosis then they review the Rx request? Kind of like if the doctor makes a request for an MRI or some other expensive test?

Once insurance approves it, does it take long for you to get it? I know that a nurse will come out and teach you how to do it. Does it take weeks to get that appointment?

Summer is hitting me a bit hard, and I'm impatiently wanting to get my new routine started.
Thanks for any thoughts you have on this!
~Jess (who is dropping her "baby" off at school for his trip to Gettysburg in 30 minutes *sniff sniff* how do they grow up so fast?)
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
667078_tn?1316004535
It took me a few weeks for the Doctor to get me set up on Copaxone. Then another week to get there and a few days for the Nurse.

I assume you do not need copay assistance because that takes sometimes months.

Alex

Blank
1040373_tn?1273691088
My insurance doesn't cover my Copaxone but as soon as the patient assistance program approved me, Shared Solutions set up a nurse visit and had the pharmacy contact me to set up delivery. I'd say it only took about a week for those two things to happen.

Good luck!!

Blank
667078_tn?1316004535
Good.

Alex
Blank
I have Aetna ins it took about 3wks and shared solutions are covering my co-pay up to $50 a mth. Be sure to call them and ask about shared co-pay
Blank
Usually, when the pharmacy gets the prescription from your doctor, they also get your insurance info.  Then the pharm contacts the ins company for the pre-approval.  But just in case, you need to call your insurance co for clarification of the process.
Blank
572651_tn?1333939396
Jess, just keep in mind that the copaxone won't instantly make you feel better.  This is a gradual fix- and often takes 6 months or so to achieve.  

Good luck with this next step being fast and efficient.

-L
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank