Can you tell me a bit about the approval process for DMD's?
From all indications, my appointment with my neuro on the 9th is going to be to pick a DMD. I can't see any other reason why he wants my husband there too.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to start copaxone. My insurance covers it, with a note of "prior authorization" needed. I've never had to deal with a prior authorization medicine before. Is it just the doctor tells the insurance about the diagnosis then they review the Rx request? Kind of like if the doctor makes a request for an MRI or some other expensive test?

Once insurance approves it, does it take long for you to get it? I know that a nurse will come out and teach you how to do it. Does it take weeks to get that appointment?

Summer is hitting me a bit hard, and I'm impatiently wanting to get my new routine started.
Thanks for any thoughts you have on this!
~Jess (who is dropping her "baby" off at school for his trip to Gettysburg in 30 minutes *sniff sniff* how do they grow up so fast?)
It took me a few weeks for the Doctor to get me set up on Copaxone. Then another week to get there and a few days for the Nurse.

I assume you do not need copay assistance because that takes sometimes months.

Alex

My insurance doesn't cover my Copaxone but as soon as the patient assistance program approved me, Shared Solutions set up a nurse visit and had the pharmacy contact me to set up delivery. I'd say it only took about a week for those two things to happen.

Good luck!!

Good.

Alex
I have Aetna ins it took about 3wks and shared solutions are covering my co-pay up to $50 a mth. Be sure to call them and ask about shared co-pay
Usually, when the pharmacy gets the prescription from your doctor, they also get your insurance info.  Then the pharm contacts the ins company for the pre-approval.  But just in case, you need to call your insurance co for clarification of the process.
Jess, just keep in mind that the copaxone won't instantly make you feel better.  This is a gradual fix- and often takes 6 months or so to achieve.  

Good luck with this next step being fast and efficient.

-L