Multiple Sclerosis Community
Celiac disease mimics MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Celiac disease mimics MS

Two weeks ago my gastroenterologist, Dr. F told me he was comfortable dxing me with Celiac disease.  He said my antibodies were the highest he had ever seen, thus the endoscopy on Fri. to confirm.

In my research I came across an article on Celiac and MS...short version Celiac can mimic MS.  Here is the link.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  I know there are other members who have anemia...unexplained anemia.

http://www.denvernaturopathic.com/news/celiac.html

If the link gets deleted I will repost.

I was being checked for various things because of the anemia I had experienced last year.  I don't know what to make of this yet but you can be sure I will be following up with my GP, etc.

I am going to print the article and ask my GP to read it.  I am also going to discus this with my gastroenterologist.

Blown away in KY because I had never heard of Celiac disease in regards to possible MS.  I was tested for Lupus, B12 deficiency and all the other mimics but not this.  Finding this was just luck.
terry
This link sums some of the info on celiac and neurological disorders inc MS.  There may be nothing to this but I feel one should be aware of the possibility, esp those whose neuros keep saying not MS or those who have anemia and neurological symptoms.  It might not hurt to be tested for celiac disease.  It begins with a blood test and is confirmed with the endoscopy.

http://   www.celiac.com  /articles/124/1/   Multiple-Sclerosis-and-Celiac-Disease   /Page1.html

I spaced this one because I believe they may have forums.

terry

thanks for the information, I'll check into this...Its on my list...]

take care
wobbly
undx
I saw an interview with Elizabeth Hasselbeck (of The View) on the 700 club the other day & she has this & was explaining it on the show, but this was the 1st I had ever heard of it. I'm glad you now know whats going on!! Keep in touch!!
Tammy  I wished I had seen that interview.  maybe i can find the transcript or something online.  As to knowing what is going on all I know is my doctor feels comfortable dx celiac disease and online there are several schools of thought surrounding the two and there connections.  I have also seen where multiple people are dx with both.  So I am still in limbo land until someone tells me this isn't MS or that it is MS and/or Celiac disease.

Still searching for answers
terry
I have celiac disease.  I have been on a GF (gluten free) diet for 18 months.  Unfortunately, I've had my worst exacerbation of MS-like sx starting in February of this year (over a year after starting the GF diet).

My neuro sx have been going on since the birth of my second daughter.  I was severely anemic when pg with her (to the point of having cardiac problems).  My guess is that I developed celiac after the birth of my first child.  I waited 4 years to have my third and, despite supplementing with extra iron from day one, was severely anemic again.  No one ever paid attention to it until I was anemic to the point of tachycardia when I wasn't pg (my ferritin level was 1!).  My GI dr. tested me and I also had antibody tests of the chart (they stopped counting--just >450!)  He did the biopsy to confirm.

Like I said, I had desperately hoped being GF would help my neuro sx, but not only did the ever present ones not go away, I developed new ones.  My GI is sure that my intestine is healing, since I have gained back the weight I lossed before my dx (despite eating everything in sight!) and my iron levels are the best they've ever been!  

Not trying to be a downer here--you should defintely treat the celiac (the diet is really not that hard after you get used to it, especially if you like to cook and eat at home a lot), but it's an auto-immune disorder and people who have one are more likely to have another.  I do hope the GF diet helps your neuro sx, though.

Good luck with the GF diet and I'd be happy to answer any questions about how to cook/eat out GF!

Stephanie