Multiple Sclerosis Community
Cervical MRI
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cervical MRI

Hi all,

Just got back from my neuro. My neuro exam was all fine so he thinks it's "probably not MS."
He's ordered an MRI of the cervical spine. I can understand this for my numb arms and painful swallowing, but what about for cognitive problems? Wouldn't that warrant a brain scan??

Thanks & sorry for constantly posting, Zel.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1394601_tn?1328035908
Maybe he wants to see what the cervical MRI shows.  I would stick it out with him.  Many wouldn't bother running even the spinal with a "fine" neuro exam.  At least he hasn't dismissed you.
Blank
Thanks Sumanadevii,

Can you (or anyone else) explain to me how the whole MRI works re which part of the spine is looked at? ie which part of the spine is responsible for intercostal symptoms; arm symptoms etc??

Thanks, Zel.
Blank
739070_tn?1338607002
Hi Zel and welcome , I don't think we've "met" before.  First, the initial part of your question asked about how the MRI worked for specifics, I'd like to refer you to our Health Pages in the upper right corner next to the yellow icon. It has a wealth of information on a variety of subjects. There is more than one page on the how the MRI works.

However, I think what you might be asking is which lesion produces which symptoms. First, you don't have to have a visibile lesion on an MRI to produce a symptom. A lot of lesions are "invisible", the current technology cannot pick-up some of the smaller lesions.

Another thing you might be interested in is called a dermatome chart. It shows which nerves in the body correspond to which body part to  provide it with sensation, or lack of sensation. Below is a link to such a dermatome chart. There are many but they all provide the same information:

http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapter_Fig_folders/Ch06_Path_Folder/4Radiculopathy.html

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Ren
Blank
Thanks Ren,

Very helpful...looking at the Dermatome chart, I definitely think I should be having a T spine MRI as well.

Best, Zel.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank