Multiple Sclerosis Community
Change in PTSD dinner requirements.

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Change in PTSD dinner requirements.

Monday when I saw my PTSD shrink she was not happy that I went to different restaurants for my dinner assignment, but was pleased that I did manage to stay at least 5 minutes for one of the dinners before I bailed.  

So this week I have to go to the same restaurant each night, but I am allowed to use some distractions in order to be able to stay longer.  Still no book reading, but can describe stuff on the table to myself, figure out how my feet or butt feels. Things like that. Oh yeah and deep breathing exercises. I wonder if she didn't allow any distractions last week to get a base line of how panicky I get with crowds?

So far I have done one of the dinner assignments and it was a breeze to complete. The hostess put me in a section that only had one other person in it and he left shortly after I sat down. From that section of the restaurant I could not see any other part of the restaurant so basically it was like I was all alone in the restaurant. I guess people that live in the country don't go out to eat on Mondays.  

Dennis
I am pleased to hear that you lasted five minutes myself.  What a brave thing you have done!  Seriously, people do not realize how hard it is to conquer a fear by desensitizing oneself all by yourself.  Quite a feat if you ask me.

So the next time see if you can last 6 minutes.  Baby steps Dennis, baby steps.

Congrats in my book!

Lisa
Dennis,
  Glad to hear you were able to stay the 5 minutes! Does the waitress seat you without asking you your preference? If she asks you,go for that same section each time,if there's room! Atleast you are allowed some minor distractions this time! Actually,paying attention to your breathing,is a good way of calming yourself!
I think you have been doing real good. I have trouble doing that even with a safe person. Just to much going on. Do be sure to give yourself pats on the back.

I was wondering how you are doing with this now?
I forgot to include the bad news. I will only have 2 more sessions with this shrink as she is leaving my VA. You would think that they would not assign a shrink to your case if they are leaving in a month when the therapy is scheduled to last 14 weeks.

She told me that the my new shrink will be a man and I tried to find out if he was African-American, but she became very coy about answering that question.

Dennis
Yeah way do they do that. Hopefully you will be OK with new person.
well, if she didn't outlaw pencil and paper, you could amuse yourself with that.......you know, taking notes..........you are doing good.....nothing wrong with finding a section with a few people!  You can always ask for a back corner......

you are doing great!  Keep it up!