Multiple Sclerosis Community
Chemo Therapy?
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chemo Therapy?

I was reading on another MS information site that they are testing out and some have already, taken Chemo for thier MS symptoms? Has anyone heard of this? It also said that this can stop some of the symptoms, or help with relapses? I don't know much about this, and there wasnt a lot of information to grab. Has anyone heard of this?
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
199882_tn?1310188142
I would really like to read up on this.  Could you please send me the site where you got this information.  I actually have heard of chemo helping MS patients but I forgot until I read your post.  I'm pretty desperate right now and I'm about to the point where I'll try anything for relief.  My symptoms and pain have become almost unbearable.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Blank
Hi singinalong,

Yes, I have heard of this, but forgot what I read.  My computer died a couple months ago and all my research is on it.

I think I remember they were having good results, but with any chemo there are lots of side effects.

Thanks for bringing this up.

doni
Blank
721523_tn?1331585402
It is a stage 3 clinical trial.  Currently it is for pts who have never taken MS meds before.  I am trying to get in.  The clinic that participates in AL is suposed to contact me this week.

Try this link.    http***clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00530348term=multiple+sclerosis&rank=28&show_locs=Y#locn

Sorry it wont make a hyper link.

Blank
382218_tn?1341185087
There is a chemo drug already approved for use in aggressive RRMS, as well as SPMS.  It is mitoxantrone (Novantrone).
Blank
721523_tn?1331585402
The trial that I an thinking of jioning is Rebif vs Campath.
Blank
Actually, a number of chemotherapy drugs have been tried for MS.  Novantrone, as mentioned, is one.  I believe it is used for the progressive forms, but has cardiac issues associated with it.  Methotrexate, Azathioprine (Imuran), and Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) are others that have been used to try to suppress MS activity.

Then there are the monoclonal antibodies.  Tysabri (natalizumab) is one of these.  Rituxan and Campath, which is showing promising results for RRMS, are also being used.
Blank
I am one the patients that have been taking chemo for my MS for over two years.  I had terrible allergy problems with the standard MS drugs.  I have been taking methotrexate with a folic acid suppliment as I already stated for over two years.  I have had great success with this treatment.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...