Multiple Sclerosis Community
Chronic sneezing

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Chronic sneezing

Q? Does anyone else suffer from Chronic sneezing?

Now, I admit, I do have lots of allergies, and have taken anything from Clari-ton to Zyrtec.
I current take "generic" Zyrtec, daily, and many days I take "generic" Dayquil (i.e. Daytime), also

Unfortunately, I still have multiple lapses of sneezing 2-4 times in succession, several times per day.
I do not have a cold, nor sinus infection, etc, and yes, I know I have several airborne allergies.

I just wish I could figure out, why, if I'm taking allergy medication daily (along with Daytime),
am I having multiple bouts of sneezing fits on a daily basis.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Socrates
Yes, I have a hypersensitive nose. Went through a lot of testing a year ago, and found I have minimal allergies, though I had a lot more when I was a child and into my twenties and thirties.

The last allergist I went to was totally useless. He had me on up to 5 meds, and still I was a mess. There have been days I've sneezed  50 times, and used dozens of Kleenexes (Kleenices?)  Once I get going, the problem feeds on itself, so the more I sneeze, the more irritated my nasal passages get, to the point where I can't really function. Not to mention that no one wants to be around a sneeze machine.

From searching the web, I've decided that my main problem is vasomotor rhinitis, compounded by some allergic rhinitis. Nasonex didn't do squat, but Flonase has been wonderful for me. I use it every morning, sneezing or not, and it's been a long time since I've been literally disabled from sneezing. This time last year I was out of commission for a month.

I think it's a matter of trial and error to find what works. Antihistamines help only if the big problem is allergies.

Just as an aside, I'm sure this has nothing to do with MS. We have a lot of functions that can go haywire.

Hope you feel better soon.

ess
Oh how I would love to only sneeze 2-4 times in succession! When I have my sneezing attacks I will sneeze for 5-10 minutes constantly to the point I am gasping for breath. This usually happens evry few days and several times each of those days.

Right now I am confused about allergies as in the past when tested I was allergic to almost everything under the sun. But the last time I was tested they said I was not allergic to anything. But yet I still have the sneezing attacks.

The only thing I have found to releive this is taking a hot steaming shower. I also have a nasal spray but that does not work, nor do any allergy medications. I have been thinking of trying a pot of steaming water instead of the shower, but have not tryed it yet.

Dennis

Dennis
Dennis, that sure is a lot of sneezing!  My personal record is 18 times in a row.

Hot showers are not good for MS patients, so I'm glad you don't have problems from that. Another thing to try is a neti-pot or its equivalent. I've used an ear bulb syringe with warm salt water, several times in each nostril. That does seem to clear things out.

ess
Oh the hot showers do effect me, but it is better than not being able to stop sneezing.

I had never heard of the neti-pot before this so I just looked it up. From what I read I suspect the sneezing is probably because of my Sjorgen's syndrome that is drying up my nasal passages to mess up the cillica (sp?). Thanks for the tip!

Dennis
I was Googling MS + Sneezing and was pleased to find this is a common experience. I was diagnosed with MS about 1 year ago and started daily sneezing about 6 months ago. I don't have 10 minutes of sneezing but I do have several major sneezing bouts every day. I have had allergies my entire life but never had these daily sneezing episodes. I thought maybe they were caused by the meds. Any other ideas?
I have possible diagnosis of MS and i  also constantly sneeze. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2077498/
This may help.

Sarah x