Coconut oil
Has anyone heard the claims that using or taking Coconut oil helps their MS?   I was watching a TV program and
they did a story on it.   It was about Coconut oil helping people with Alzheimer's, ALS, MS and other autoimmune
diseases.   I was dxd w/Tic-douloureux in 1967.  They didn't connect it with MS until about 19yrs ago.  I was dxd with MS in '94. although I showed many signs of it since '67, living in the Northeast.  I have been using coconut oil for a few years now because we heard it was better for you and melted at room temps where other oils didn't.  I've had slow progressions of MS.  Just wondering if maybe the coconut oil is helping with that.  I've had some progression, more UTI's, balance is getting a little worse.  Can still walk pretty good with my cane and leg brace.  I do use my wheelchair when going on trips or to parks, it's just easier.  Recently dxd with vertigo, so that's fun....NOT.   Went to therapy for it and it did help.  My energy is waning but I'm still pretty active and rest when I need to. Well, just wondering about the coconut oil for therapy use. Would like to hear your thoughts.  
Welcome Terri,  I'm not sure if it does or not. The only info I can find online is a little vague.  May I ask?  Where did you get this idea from?  I'm interested in new ideas...

Tammy
Hi Terri,

Thank you for joining us, and welcome!

I'm not sure about the coconut oil where MS is concerned, but have used the cream or paste-like one in a jar (can't remember what it was called). It was really good, and all natural, and tasted great - especially in smoothies..Not sure of all it's properties, but know many praise it as one of natures miracles.  All I know is I like it :)

Were you ever on a disease modifier for your MS? Thank you for sharing a piece of your journey. Hope to hear more.

There are other members that may be able to speak to the coconuts  properties.

-Shell
I hadn't read about coconut oil being good for MS specifically, but I try to follow a paleo-ish diet and that uses a lot of coconut oil.  I do know that since I went paleo my blood pressure and cholesterol have improved significantly - related to coconut oil?  Maybe.  :)  It's supposed to be good for digestive health as well, which supposedly plays an important role in immune system health.  

Laura
Hi, Terri, and Welcome!

Like Laura, I'm Paleo, and I use coconut oil in my cooking.  I have slow to moderate progression, and I don't know if coconut oil is a factor in keeping things slow.  It's yummy, though...
All
I have gone Gluten-Free (looking at going totally paleo if I have to) and i must say I feel great and YES I use only coconut oil in my cooking with heat (I use grapeseed oil and other oils for "cold" cooking like salad dressings etc).  I think it has helped in a lot of things for me and my family.

Hope you all stay as healthy as possible!
Val
I heard about it from a tv show.....I was just passing channels.....ummm...
Oh...the 700 club.  Yes,  That's where I heard it. The woman who came on to talk about it takes a shot of coconut oil every morning.   The way I see it...because it melts at room temp it must act as a detox or cleansing agent.
It doesn't stick to your organs or clog up your system.  
Along with the properties that coconut oil contains, it must help.  
No, I was never on a disease modifier for MS.  

I would like to ask if anyone is having trouble with tunnel vision?  
Thank you for your welcome to the site.  I appreciate it.  : )