Multiple Sclerosis Community
Cold Bones

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Cold Bones

I am nearly 53 years of age and was diagnosed with MS in May 2000. I too started with pins and needles in my arms and legs but was not diagnosed until I lost the sight in my right eye.  My sight went blurred ar first until gradually I could not see through it at all, this is when I was referred to the hospital for tests including an MRI scan and some weeks later I got the diagnosis. It has only really been this last 4-5 years that I have noticed the cronic (chronic) fatigue and if I go out now I use either a walking stick, wheelchair or mobility scooter depending on how I am feeling on the day.  Recently however I have noticed pain in my joints and the only way I can describe it is my bones feel cold and I can't seem to do anything to warm them up.  I assume this is another symptom of MS and would be grateful for any guidance anyone can provide in this connection as I have suffered with this now for approximately 6 weeks and was putting it down to the weather until I came across this thread....
Hi, Kazz. Welcome to the gorup here - I am glad to see you found us.  When you talk about pain in the joints I immeditately think of arthritis and not MS.  Have you had this checked with the docs?  Even though we have MS, we can always have other disease processes going on, too.

welcome again and I hope we see you around, Laura
I " feel" the cold, too.  I actually hate the cold weather as much as I hate the hot weather.  It makes the spasticity really bad and the muscles hurt like heck.  

If the pain is in your joints, you may also want to consider hypothyroidism.  It may cause the achiness that you may be feeling in your joints and the fatigue that you've mentioned.  MS may also cause that too in regards to the fatigue.  It is not uncommon for people with MS to have hypothyroidism as a result of another autoimmune disease or from the result of your DMD therapy.
I am 49 (did I really admit my age?) and diagnosed with MS nearly 3 years ago. I feel the cold a great deal and at present in UK we have lots of snow so it is on with the thermals and I wrap up at home with a blanket when cold at night or in the day if necessary. I am convinced this is MS related as I have never previously been affected in this way..it makes me feel miserable. I also think that if we are low in vitamin D it can affect how we feel so have you had your levels checked?

Best wishes

Sarah