Multiple Sclerosis Community
Cold weather

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Cold weather

Has any one ever notice that a change in the weather brings up some of your symptom, as the change in cold weather tends to bring on more cramps in my legs and I had a bad one last night in my left leg I took a Valium 10mgs earlier when I felt it coming on but a little bit later I had a friend come over and had a few beers with her and she wanted to show off her new truck to us, Well we got up and my leg started getting real tight on me but I was still able to go outside but as soon as I hit the stairs down my leg cramped up so badly that I ended up falling down with my leg folded up and I couldn't get back up without help and straitening my leg from the cramping and pain, I have had cramping in the past but never this bad that I couldn't walk. But it seems like the colder it gets the worst things happen to me.

Any one else have problems in the change of weather as well

Cowboy
I'm undiagnosed right now but do experience the same thing. Heat is my enemy but then the cold seem to be too. The heat brings on my extreme fatigue and extreme leg shaking, but the cold seems to bring on bad spasms and along with the leg shaking. The fatigue does not seem to get worse with the cold though.

I would be a happy camper with a constant temp of 68-70 degrees but somehow I don't see that happening. lol

Moki

This is spooky!  I truly was just thinking of this exact topic.  I live in Florida where we only get into the 50's or 60's at night but I notice that these dips are making my cramping worsen.  I feel for those of you up north!!  But I did have to endure a Florida summer with the symptoms also and that was not fun.

I am not diagnosed but have alot of MS'ish symptoms and some peripheral neuropathy.  How about you,  are you dx'd?  When?  What's you history with symptoms and diagnosis?

Nice to meet you!
Kristin
  You need to be a snow bird from Alaska as are summers are in that range, but the winters here really seem to hit me harder and I have seen it down as low as -55 below and talk about not wanting to do anything at all from it.

Cowboy
  we must have cross post I'm not dx's just yet but going though the process right now with my pdoc and then to the neruo and will go from there for now

Cowboy
I have a Dx and the cold has increased my spasms and usually during the winter my spasticity meds are raised and then lowered in the summer.

The heat is my worse enemy as in it causes visual disturbance ,fatigue, off balance and so forth.

T
  Boy that sure sounds a lot like me but in the winter time just the fatigue along is enough to stop me Sorry for the delay my horses keep getting out and they can't feel the hot line with all there fur but will talk latter got to hit town now.

Cowboy
  You should try to rounding up 3 horses that keep braking out of there pen if it's not the moose it's the horses doing it and walking in two feet or more of snow really gets me down fast I been trying it with the snow machine and it helps but when you get stuck in the deep powder that really where's one out fast, but I thing that is one of the worst things for me is fatigue at this time but I hate driving at night with my eyes but jeez I can go on and on about symptoms.

Cowboy
Yes, I do notice that my symptoms are worse when there are seasonal changes, as also when the barometric pressure changes.  

Let me be a mother here for a minute.  Don't take Valium and drink any alcohol.  The combination could be deadly.  Okay, I am through with the lecture, Cowboy.  Forgive me....

Hope you will keep us posted.  I know how much discomfort you are going through.  I am pulling my hair out trying to get a grip on these spasms.  (Been diagnosed with MS for over a decade)

Glad you joined us.....Heather  
  Well I was right about one thing lol the weather has change we just got over night about 10 inches of new snow and still falling

But you are right about the meds I don't normally drink but she came over with a 6 pack so I did had 2 beers Heather

I been dealing with it way back in 94 and still no dx but I'm heading to the pdoc on monday and see how all my blood work went and then to the neruo

Cowboy
BOTH THE HEAT AND COLD WEATHER EFFECTS MY MS. THE COLD WEATHER IS MUCH WORSE ON ME. I HAVE MOVE LEG CRAMPS, AND MY SKIN BURNS SO BAD WHEN IT'S COLD WEATHER. MY SKIN BURNS ALL OVER, MY LEGS, EARS, HANDS, FEET. THEN I HAVE THE NUMBNESS IN MY HANDS AND FEET. I'VE JUST ABOUT DECIDED THAT COLD WEATHER IS ALOT WORSE ON MY MS THEN HORT.
Hapevillegirlofgeorgia
Cold and rain make my walking much worse. I haven't noticed any problems with heat making my symptoms worse, but that's all I can find reference to online. My doc said cold may make spasticity (stiffness) worse. But it feels worse than that. I'm uncoordinated and exhausted in the rain, and do pretty well on dry days.
Bump for ladygraycloud
Ok I live in florida and wanna move to kentucky where I'm from last time I was up there in feb I was all messed up got back to fl and was told I have ms by my brain doc sorry not good at spelling. So would it be better in ky or stay in fl and ssit inside all day cause its so hot out what do y'all think
hi hoss and welcome.  Would you please copy your question and start a new thread? you have posted on a very old conversation and most people won't see your question here - they tend to skip the older posts.

FL or KY are two good choices - people with MS live in both and find ways to cope with the heat and the cold.
welcome again, Lulu
am a bit concerned that I read that you said:

I took a Valium 10mgs earlier when I felt it coming on but a little bit later I had a friend come over and had a few beers with her

Valium is NOT a drug that you follow by alcohol  !!!!!!!!  It certainly obsificated the issue!
I live in KY.  Was diagnosed w/ MS 7 yrs ago, but probably had it at least 20 yrs before that.  The cold weather here is making my MS as bad or worse than the heat does--rainy, cold seems to really get me down.  In fact, we are looking & hoping & praying to move to South Florida and get a home with a pool so that I can exercise in the summer/winter in a pool.  Also, my Vitamin D is constantly low even after taking the mega, mega doses that they give (can only give me so much because it's dangerous to give it too often).  Hoping we can sell this home here and head south.  I am in my mid 60's and my husband is 69 so we are retired--just gonna really miss grandkids.  Maybe they'll come see us more there than they do here.