Multiple Sclerosis Community
Continued bilateral arm pain and weakness???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Good morning everyone,

I am still having bilateral arm pain and weakness into my chest since I posted on November 25th.  I feel that it is getting worse and scares me.  I go for an EMG/nerve conduction test tomorrow morning and then I have MRI of cervical spine on Monday.

Does anybody think I might be closer to a diagnosis at this point?  

At this point, I am not confident that these tests will be positive considering none in the past were.  Last night in bed I started worrying about ALS for some crazy reason.  I guess I am just getting tired of waiting for somebody to tell me what is going on all these years.

Thanks,

Terri

Yes it can take awhile for a diagnosis. All my tests showed MS and all the test to rule out MS were negative. It took me two years for a diagnosis. Neurologist follow you over time. Does your neurologist specialize MS? That can be key.
The EMG will give the neurologist some useful information, and so will the MRI. As to whether you get a diagnosis, I have no idea! People get stuck in the diagnosis loop because the neurologist won't sign off on what's causing the problem - I guess because it doesn't look like a classic case.

Remember that the neurologist is there to treat your symptoms first and foremost. Finding a diagnosis is also good, but they're there to make you feel better.
Hi and Thanks for your comments,

I had the EMG today and it was negative for any peripheral nerve damage or for any muscle disease.  I guess everything is still pointing to CNS disease/MS.

I am so glad that my neurologist and pain management physician are treating all of my pain symptoms.  If there were not, I would be in bad shape, so I am thank to that.

I guess after this many years and not having an "official diagnosis," it can be so darn difficult not knowing.  I am glad that I have had a neurologist who has treated me all this time.  It is almost like not having any (closure) I suppose.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

terri
Is your neurologist an MS Specialist?
Does help to have a diagnosis. I had my first and only neurological hospitalization in 1965. I saw neurologists my whole childhood. My parents never explained it to me. In 2007 my GP did a neurological exam when she noticed my eye looking in the wrong direction. It took 6 neurologist and two years to get a diagnosis. All my tests and symptoms pointed to MS but no one would call it.

Alex
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response.  I agree.  I feel that no one wants to give me the MS diagnosis as well.  I have progressively shown new signs and symptoms over these past 11 years, but no MS lesions on the brain MRI or cervical spine MRI.  

Will see what this cervical spine MRI shows Monday.  I am not counting on anything anymore, that is for sure.

Thanks again,

Have a wonderful holiday to you and all on the forum.

Terri
Thanks for your reply.  I greatly appreciate it....

terri
Yes, my previous neurologist in the same practice is MS specialist, but I switched to another neurologist in the practice due to my continued migraines with aura and he is in the pain management unit I go to as well....

Thanks,

terri