Multiple Sclerosis Community
Contrast MRI Refused

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Contrast MRI Refused

I posted a question a short while ago about MRIs for Optic Neuritis. I was due to have a contrast MRI of the head and orbits on Wednesday; well I was due for a normal one and a contrast one. My opthalmologist specifically requested the contrast one saying the normal didn't show up what was needed and he needed more detail. He went into great detail in my appointment with him why I needed a contrast MRI. But when I went on Wed, the radiologist did the normal MRI and then her technician told me I could go. I queried the contrast, but as I was talking the technician just ushered me out of the room saying the radiologist didn't want to do it, and wouldn't answer any of my questions. I was just told "you go now" and he started with another patient as I was still talking to him. I wasn't making a fuss, just asking why, as my op was so insistent. I went and spoke to my op's secretary and she checked my paperwork and said, yes, I needed a contrast.

So now I'm scared. Could anyone here think of a reason why the radiologist may have refused. I'm not allergic to shellfish, or anything like that... the only thing I can think of is that within 6 weeks between the two MRIs, something which wasn't obvious before is now very obvious. And I've got no-one in real life to talk to about this :-(
I hope it's ok to post??
C x
Hi CX, it is so darn easy to read too much into everything when we are on the diagnostic path.  I would not dwell too long on not having contrast for this MRI series, and here is the very simple explanation of why.

If lesions, active or inactive, are going to be seen on your MRI, they will be seen.  Period.  The contrast is given to see if there is active disease activity.  If there are active lesions - no older than about 40 days -  they "glow" (for lack of a better word) because of the contrast.  This allows the doctors to distinguish between old and new lesion activity.

Let me repeat - if the lesions are there and visible, they will be seen without the contrast agent so you can put this worry aside for now.  

Why didn't they do it?  My guess is you are on NHS coverage and it was not done to save money.  But that is just my guest.

Enjoy your weekend and talk to your doctor about this lack of follow through from the lab next time your are there.
Lulu
Hi Lulu

Thank you for your comment. It is so easy to have imaginary conversations in your head isn't it? Especially at the weekend when there's no-one to ask!!

I'm liking the too much money for the NHS answer :-) I'll hold with that for now!! I just wish the technician could have had 2 minutes to answer my question :(

I hope you're having a lovely weekend. The weather's gorgeous
C xx
C,
It seems the health care rationing that goes on at the NHS in the UK has a weird sense of what is important and what can wait.  

You are so right about crisis conversations always happen on the weekend.  I hope you can quiet the voices until you can talk to the doctor next week.  Knowing what I know now, i wouldn't read too much into this.  BUT if this happened when I was knew to the MS journey I would have been totally freaked out with the wondering.

best,
L