Multiple Sclerosis Community
Costochondritis

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Costochondritis

I was looking back at when my symptoms started and remembered that I had been diagnosed with costochondritis back in 2005.

It came on fairly quickly (within a couple of days?) and was an intense pain in my chest that radiated down my left arm.  I thought I was having a heart attack and called 911.

After lots of testing, I was diagnosed with costo.  I had the chest pain for 6-8 weeks.  It wasn't an "MS hug" that I have read about.  The pain was constant during that time ~ just varied in intensity.   I didn't have other symptoms until 2006.

This is actually the start of my physical "downfall" so to speak.  Now, looking back, I'm wondering if this is related to MS.  

I can't find much info online relating the two.  I do find some info regarding costochondritis and sarcoidosis, which is a mimic of MS (neurosarcoidosis).

Has anyone else experience costochondritis?   Is this associated with MS?  Have you read, or been told, that this is an MS symptom?

TIA!  Pat :)
Actually, I've been told that it's NOT an MS symptom, but who knows.

I've had this diagnosed several times over many many years, so I know what it feels like. I went to my GP because it was so bad at times I couldn't turn my head properly, so I couldn't drive, etc. I was put on muscle relaxants, which worked only after about 2 weeks.

Costochondritis is an imflammation of the muscle and cartilege tissue between the ribs, and for me it was also a very sore feeling, like I had very severe bruising, and it hurt to the touch as well. This is not like any MS sort of symptoms I've had.

During my MS-like flare in '06 I also had this, but not as bad, as it hurt mostly just when I touched it (my solution: don't touch it! Not necessarily yours, though.)  When I went to the 'good' neuro, relatively speaking, I mentioned this in trying to be comprehensive. He dismissed it entirely with a wave of the hand.

In the midst of our flares we also are subject to all the other odds and ends of pain and illness that everyone gets, and it's so hard to know what is neurologically significant. So we report everything. Absolutely understandable. I find for myself, though, that it's a slippery slope, because the more I say the longer it takes, and the more likely it is that I will be considered a crank. This is not a failing on my part, or for any of us. Rather, it's the doctors' fault. Yet the reality is that this happens and we have to deal with it. Personally I'm being very careful in preparing for my neuro visit on Tuesday but still may not only not get it right, but get it WRONG.

Having said all that, I'll also say that costochondritis could well be provoked by MS, for all I know. Maybe Quix could add some much-needed medical expertise here.

ess
Yes, I think I've finally learned what to mention and what not to my neuro.  Gee, it only took about 9 months!!

I had previously typed up a timeline with everything not knowing if it was pertinent or not.  My neuro probably thinks I'm looney tunes as well.  I actually left off the costcochondritis since I figured it wasn't related, but was just curious.

I'm trying to set up an appt with a rheumatologist and I'll mention the costo to her.  As well as the constant, sore lymph nodes, hair falling out, pulsatile tinnitus, etc., etc.....

Thanks for your reply ess and have a good night!  Pat :)