Multiple Sclerosis Community
Crossing eyes, dizzy, headache

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Crossing eyes, dizzy, headache

Today I was at work feeling fine getting ready to switch classrooms with my students and my eyes all of the sudden crossed and I wouldn't get them to go back I was very dizzy, I got very hot and my heart started to race.  After a few seconds I was able to see clearly again and sat down.  I felt a little better but within 15 minutes my eyes began to cross again.   I am thinking that it was probably a migraine I have had some severe migraines with aura's , numbness, and speech impairment.  Haven't experienced eyes crossing and it freaked me out.  Would it make sense that it was a migraine?
Welcome!  

Are you diagnosed with MS?  I have migraines and MS symptoms.  For many people, migraines cause odd symptoms.  I've never heard of crossing eyes as a migraine symptoms, but I learn something new every day!   Dizziness could be caused from migraines.  Before my diagnosis, the doctor told me that it was due to complex partial migraines.  

I have had problems with my eyes crossing--typically in the mornings or late evenings when I'm tired.  I've had lots of visual problems other than this.  You are the first person that I remember reading that has had problems with the crossing eyes, other than myself.  

Are you having other neurological problems besides the dizziness,

Hi, my wife was recently diagnosed with MS. She is experiencing her first (and hopefully last) flare up. Her symptoms have mainly been limited to fatigue, strange sensations including periodic numbness in her extremities, and blurred vision. Over the course of the past several days, her eyes have been crossing. However, if she patches either one of her eyes, the crossing subsides and her vision is not impaired in either eye as long as one is patched. Does this mirror your symptoms in any way? And if so, has the crossing subsided once the exacerbation remits?
Fitz:  Hi there! Welcome. I too would like to know a little bit more about what you are going through, are you dx'd, etc. If not, have you been to the Dr. about this? So very important. I hope this message finds you ok and that you are able to get back to us soon.

Compellor: Your post slipped to the 2nd page. Welcome - welcome. Sorry for your wife's dx.  I hope it's her 1st and last attack too. Is she on anything, i.e., steroids? It took about 5 months for my 1st bad one to simmer. I wasn't on anything at the time.

Is she able to get the rest she needs?

Thank you for trusting us w/your info - hope we can help.
-Shell
Shell,

Thank you for your response, and for your warm welcome. My wife took intravenous steroids for 3 days in high doses, then did (I believe) 12 days orally on a tapering dose. With little improvement, the Dr. put her on another oral tapering dose for 8 days. She has come to the end of that 2 days ago, still with little or no improvement, and will not be receiving anymore steroid therapy per doctors orders. She gets fatigued easily, and her eyes continue to cross when unpatched. Her vision is pretty good in her left eye, but it causes her pain with movement. Her right eye is pretty blurry, but doesn't bring her much pain. She still has periodic numbness and strange little anomalies here and there. Still, she manages to keep a pretty good and positive attitude though all of this, but is understandibly scared, as am I. She met with the neurologist this morning, and he gave her a lot of material in reference to available medications. He also is giving us a referral to UCSF, which I am happy about. Apparently they have a group of doctors at that facility that is dedicated to treating MS patients. Any insight you could offer to any of this would be wonderful. This is all uncharted territory to us, and it brings me comfort to see individuals such as yourself living life and not letting this disease define thier existence. Thank you again. :)

Sincerely,
C
Hi Fitz and Compellor, for most of us it is uncharted water when we enter the big MS pool - and wow can it ever feel like the deep end.  Remember that any and every question here is fair game - we c an talk about it all.

There is a site that I almost always refer folks to who are trying to learn about the MS treatments and make a decision - it is out of the UK, but the information applies to anyone, anywhere.

The address for it is

http://www.msdecisions.org.uk

This site does not include Tysabri, which is considered only when other drugs have failed, or the new oral med Gilenya, which may not be offered to her yet.  

One of the best things you can do is educate yourself about MS - knowledge really is power.  When you go to UCSF - we hear good things about there and have several people who go to their MS clinic - you will be able to have an informed conversation.

I have to run - its my anniversary and time to go to dinner, but welcome again.  We're here to help you sort this out -   Lulu
Hey, welcome to the forum!

I think I can help you out with the eye crossing thing - sometimes the muscles of the eyes are affected in a flare.  Double vision is pretty common.  

Will this pass when the exacerbation passes?  Maybe.   New symptoms appear because of lesion formation, and old symptoms get worse during an exacerbation because of the inflammation.  Sometimes it takes a while for symptoms to resolve.  I've had symptoms that took three months to go away, and others that took a year or more.  Neurological damage does take a while to heal.  

I know somebody that had a stroke, damaging the (6th?) cranial nerve, which caused the same kind of double vision.  Her doctor had her wear an eye patch until it got better.
Hi again Compellor,

You are very welcome. I'll leave the eye help to the others, as I'm not very versed. Hope Jens and some others have more thoughts where that is concerned....

What a good doc you have to send your wife to an MS center. I'm glad to hear this. The medicine mentioned is going to be the DMDs, that is the disease modifying drugs available to treat the disease of MS. Basically, all DMDs have proven to lessen the severity of the disease, and it's progression. While not everyone receives this benefit, at least there is a chance your wife can be one of them.

Steroids works sometimes and sometimes not to shorten the effects of an attack. She may come out of this one over time.  Do you know if her MRIs showed enhancing lesions (or plaques) at the time of her MRIs? Either way it can take time for inflammation to simmer down and after that time she may see some improvement.

I'm sure you are both just wishing on a little relief of this attack, so I'll wish for that along with you. Attitude and outlook is going to be key right now, and you may both find yourselves just getting through each day hr by hr. and sometimes minute by minute.  

If you can convey to her to go with it and just keep resting when she has to, and that you totally have her back now matter how long this takes, that message alone will bring calm her fears.

I'm proud of you both -  Her hunkering down and staying positive, and you seeking information and support.

Glad to have you here,
-Shell
Thanks to each of you for your insight and support;

Lulu, the site that you referred me to has been a wonderful resource for gaining knowledge about the disease in general and also in regard to the available medications. I think that we've got it narrowed down to Avonex, Betaseron, or Rebif. They each show promise, but the potential side effects can be a little daunting. However, I feel that if the medication can slow the progression of the disease, then the benefits are worth the discomfort and/or risks that can come with it.

Jens, I appreciate the insight regarding the vision problems my wife has been having, and continues to have. I was hoping that maybe you could tell me that she WILL get her vision back to normal. But, I'm quickly learning that this is not how it works with this disease. There are no rules or norms, and what has been the experience for one person may or may not be the case for the next. The waiting and wondering is perhaps the most difficult part.

Shell, you asked if her MRI had shown enhancing lesions. The answer is yes. She has had 2 MRI scans. The first one was was of her brain. But, because her doctor did it more as a precautionary measure, and not really beleiving he would find anything. He didn't use a contrasting agent, so all of the lesions shown white. With the second MRI, he did a scan of her brain, and her brain stem while using a contrasting agent. That scan reveialed that she has one visible active lesion on her brain, and the rest appear to be "black holes". No lesions were present on her brain stem which we were happy to learn. I have taken your advise and have been doing my best to stay positive for her, and reasuring her that I do have her back, and that WE will get through this together.

Again, Thanks so much to each of you for your support. It feels good to be a part of a community that understands the fears and concerns associated with this. I'm grateful to have found a place where I can ask questions, and get real answers from people living with it.

Sincerely,
C
GAD, the paramagnetic contrast, shows lesions less than 40 days old.  The GAD enhances only on T1 weighted sequences.  The classic "Black holes" (thought to be gliosis)  only show up on T1 weighted sequences.  Lesions (old or new) show up as whiter/off-white on FLAIR/T2 weighted sequences.  

So Enhancing lesions are only shown on Post-GAD T1.  If you are seeing true "Black Holes" on T1 weighted sequences, the radiologist should have commented on the brain volume.  Large numbers of "Black holes" are thought to be the result of gliosis of old lesions and will result on loss of brain volume over time.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your input. I'm not exactly sure what you've told me, other than I've got much to learn. I already know much more than I had ever hoped to learn about this disease. I much preferred it when not so long ago I knew only that it was a neurological disease that Montel Williams had. Ignorance was bliss.