Multiple Sclerosis Community
Curcumin for MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Curcumin for MS

I have read a little about curcumin (thumeric) having success treating MS, has anyone used it as a supplement and seen results worth mentioning?   Thanks.
Tags: ms, dietary suppliments, curcumin, natural health
Personally I think anything that has any claims relating to 'cure' attatched to it, is simply b/s, there is no cure for MS! I couldn't actually remember ever hearing of this one, so went looking, i found a bit of traffic on the subject but struggled to find the 'science' which backs up the claims.

In relation to MS, Tumeric is 'suppose to' have been shown to halt and or reverse MS in the mouse model. It also 'suppose to' protect against cancer, other autoimmune diseases and Alzheimers to name a few. I found statements like this one "Alpha Lipoic Acid has been shown to prevent T-cell migration across the blood brain barrier, like Tysabri. ALA is a powerful antioxidant that facilitates food energy into cellular energy" all over the place but like i said I couldn't find the scientific reseach that actually backs up these claims.

I did find some research, it didn't exactly prove the theory but is speculatory, theorising the posibilities. l didn't find any double blind trials etc. I did find more articles regarding the anacdotal association to countries with high Turmeric useage and low incident rates of MS, Alzimers and other autoimmune conditions, which doesnt really proove the theory imho.

There was a study by "the researchers at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, believe curcumin may interrupt the production of IL-12, a protein that plays a key role in the destruction of the myelin by signaling for the development of neural antigen-specific Th1 cells, immune cells that then launch an attack on the myelin sheath." That comes from a basic but balanced article but you should note that the reseach most places are talking about doesn't actually state that curcumin has been proven to be anything more than a 'maybe'.
http://multiplesclerosis.tribe.net/thread/0aae2bef-1f6f-4787-bfd4-e1895c5cc10a

If you look here [http://www.ayurvedicmedicine4u.com/research/ ] you'll see curcumin is connected to many serious diseases, the one on MS is about half way down the page. What i've basically got out of reading all this stuff on curcumin, its a natural anti inflamatory, antioziant (sp) but the claims going beyond that is just not proven, theory based, anacdotal but not proven.

Cheers.........JJ

PS oops, so my answer would be no never tried it, and i wouldn't be expecting it to improve sx of MS.

I am actually just getting started taking this soon, so I don't have any results to talk about here nor there.  A member here was actually kind enough to share her supplement plan with me which I tweaked for my own needs and am just getting started on.  

Firstly, JJ was correct that there is no cure for MS.  I've heard about 10 different "cures" since I learned what MS was just a few short months ago.  

However, my feelings on tumeric are similar to those of trying to eat better:  it can't hurt to try.  It's not a vitamin that I have to worry about interacting with drugs that I may take in the future.  It's simply a food that the western world does not eat that may or may not help giving my body something it needs to slow the progression of an autoimmune attack.  For all of the other things I'm willing to put in my mouth/body, I figure it can't hurt to try! lol I take a few other things that are basically just food extracts to help with sx's since my dear neuro isn't in a rush to dx me or to give me symptom management drugs.  

You can ask me in a month and I'll let you know how I find them.  Otherwise maybe someone else will have something more helpful to share.  
perhaps something I read in a book about MS sums it up pretty good,
if its a legitimate help in fighting MS, the MS website would definitely hear and know of it and would be blasting the airways with the infer for us.......
until then.......there's always someone wanting your money........even for supplements..............

If you track the literature backwards far enough, supplements usually fall thru the cracks in validation.............but then the power of suggestion is always lurking...

Good luck but personally I think you are throwing away money.........also, you have to consider where some of these studies take place............MS does tend to occur more in the northern climates, although the camps are still divided over that one........

just food for thought