Multiple Sclerosis Community
Curious about hip/calf pain.

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Curious about hip/calf pain.

So yes, I have something new going on for about 2 days.  My left hip and calf are VERY painful, getting worse. Perhaps I pulled something, or knocked into something, but I don't recall either. It came on fast and I am having a harder time walking, due to the pain.  I am even more limpy than ever.

If this doesn't clear in a few days, do you think I should call neuro or PCP. I don't think this is a MS thing, but really, who knows? Does anyone else experience this? I could hardly get out of my car this afternoon and am grimacing from the pain/stiffness I have.

Anyone?
Michelle
Michelle,

Could you describe a bit more the type of pain you are having? I have spastcity in my right leg, and it causes stiffness through my entire leg, including my hip. In my calf it causes a muscle pain, which at times will go into a full spasm. In my hip it is both a tightness and what feels like a mechanical pain issue with the joint itself. My dr says it is caused my the spasticity putting pressure and tension on the hip joint.

I walk pretty gimpy already with a drop foot and the tendency of my knee to want to give out (I guess due to weakness - that part doesn't hurt thought). But when my hip starts really hurting it makes walking very difficult. I have to be extra careful because it feels like it wants to break or something, though my dr assures me it won't!

I would definitely call your neuro, because it sounds like spasticity to me. Especially since you can't recall doing anything that may have brought this on. But it wouldn't hurt to call both your neuro and your PCP.

I hope you get some relief soon!
Melissa
Thanks for getting back to me Melissa.  The hip pain is similar what you describe. I have drop foot on my right side, and the right ankle/foot/leg is weaker.  My left calf is very stiff, and perhaps I am walking even "funnier" and that could be hurting my hip?

Yes, it feels like my hip might break, even if I push on it when sitting it hurts.  I dont know what neuro or PCP can do.  I take zanaflex at night, maybe I should take 1 doing the day, although it really knocks me out.

Thanks again    ~ Michelle
Michelle,

YES! you should call your neuro!  I have hip pain but mine is due to weakness of my hip flexors. That was what I thought was bursitis for so many years. When the right doc finally dx me, I was sent to PT and it helped tremendously.  My calf pain sounds similar to yours and Melissa's and the calf will go into the dreaded spasms if I don't stretch.

Hope it feels better soon.
I would definitely call your neuro. This could be one of several problems, including compensation for other leg issues that make you change your walk. This something you can't diagnose yourself, so let the doc do it.

Best of luck,
ess
Thanks all. Still bad hip pain, if not better over the weekend I will call neuro Monday. I am working tomorrow, so I hope I can make it the whole day. Going to be a tough one...
Michelle
I have had hip pain for years but when I was diagnosed just last year with scoliosis, I thought it could be due to that.  My hip pain has caused me to walk funny many times, and back in my 20's I used to get remarks from people, what's wrong, why are you walking with a limp, and I would tell them my hips were hurting and then they would say wow, you are too young to be dealing with arthritis so soon. Of course, I had no idea at the time what would cause my hip pain.
I now often wonder if all of the pain and stiffness I have had is an ms thing/