Multiple Sclerosis Community
Current opportunities to trial stem cell therapy or Tysabri

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Attention all Buckeyes (PwMS living in Ohio):

This study is recruiting 24 people diagnosed with RRMS to participate in stem cell therapy research.
Testing and procedure will be conducted through the Cleveland Clinic Mellon Center

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/news-detail/index.aspx?nid=2525

----------------------------------------------------------

This one is a clinical study being conducted by Biogen to evaluate the effectiveness of Tysabri in people with SPMS.
800 people are being recruited worldwide to participate in a double blind study (meaning some participants will receive Tysabri and some will receive a placebo and you won't be told which group you are in during the study).
The site has a list of USA cities enrolling participants.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/news/news-detail/index.aspx?nid=5417
Thanks, Mary, for pointing these out.

Unfortunately you and I are beyond the age limit for the stem cell trial.  I would be willing to do that one, because I think it holds a lot of promise.  I have been saying that for years about stem cells being used to cure a number of serious diseases.  

I sure hope the Tysabri trial for SPMS yields positive results.  There needs to be more therapy options for SPMS and PPMS.  I hope the Gilenya trial for PPMS works, too.

I believe you could slip by for the Tysabri if you qualified with SPMS.  It seems odd the age span isn't higher for that one since it so often indicates years of disease.

Maybe this is why we're sometimes told we are "too old" to be diagnosed.  They wouldn't know what to do with us post diagnosis?  Or maybe they just mean too old - period.

Actually just wanted to bump this up but thanks so much for sharing your observations.  I'll have to investigate applying for clinical trial disability status now.

Mary

bumping up for a member

Might this be an option for Michelleric?
Thanks for thinking of me.  I checked it out, but I dont Qualify, due to on tysabri already. (you have to have been off for 3 infusions to qualify, which might be me soon)

I also have a dx of Asthma. Another no no for the study :(

Also, the fact I am on Coumdin, would probably be large issure as well, Oh well.

Thanks, sounds like a really worthwhile study!

Michelle