Multiple Sclerosis Community
Dent in Thighs - Don't Laugh!!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dent in Thighs - Don't Laugh!!

OK, well it is funny - if it wasn't happening to me.

About a month ago, or so, I noticed that I have horizontal dents about 2 inches below the bottom of my hips running across both thighs.  I started noticing it when I had yoga pants on.

My first thoughts were either muscle atrophy or muscle definition.  I do work my thighs with isometric squats, lunges, and calve raises on a vibration trainer.  But they are not anywhere near the shape they use to be in.  I am not overweight at all, just softer than before I was sick lol!

So I tried researching somethings on the internet and had no luck.  All I seen were a few things that mentioned dents from nerve problems.  But this is on both legs, and usually everything is on my right side.  Here's the funny part.  One of the posts on ask yahoo, or one of those, said it was caused from leaning on something like a counter!  So I just laughed and continued my search.

Then I was in the bathroom, and out of morbid curiosity, I checked the dents against the counter (LOL!).  And guess what?  They line up.  I lean on the counter to floss (but not brush), put on mascara, and pop the odd zit.  But that's just a few minutes and not even daily.  

Is it really possible?  I mean what about people who lean their arm out their car window for long periods?  Or sit on hard chairs?  Why don't they have dents?  Wouldn't there be tons on the internet if women were all dented from counter tops!!!

Is it possible that because I have something going on, nerve/muscle/whatever, that leaning would cause a dent?

This is ridiculous!  But I'm hoping someone can give me some advise as to possible answers.  I'm only 40 and still have some vanity issues (lol!).  I'm hoping this is reversible...

Corina
Maybe you are retaining fluid and when you lean up against something the dent stays. I have a big problem with this and because of it I have lots of "dents".  Just a thought.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Do you take Copaxone? I have the same dents on the thighs as well as other areas that I inject into. It is fat destruction from the Copaxone injections. You may want to ask your Dr.

Hugs
Kristi
Not just Copaxone.  Any subcutaneous injection can cause localized lipodystrophy.  

Bob  
Grannyhotwheels:  Do your dents stay?  I've had these continuous since I noticed them.  If you retaining water you're suppose to drink more, right?  It couldn't hurt to up my intake and see if that helps!  Thanks for your input.

Starryeyes2 and Cobob:  Thanks for the info.  I'm currently not on any meds for MS (in limboland).  But the fat destruction did get me thinking and I looked more into it.

There is, apparently, a thing called semicircular lipoatrophy which is caused by an atrophy of fat tissues.  Two causes, in published journals, are said to be pressure and electromagentic fields.  While this seems a little far out, it does seem to have some backing, and I live with my laptop on my legs.  

Every once in a while I'll complain that I think my laptop is actually causing pain in my legs but who knows?  I do believe we just don't know enough about electric fields and their influence on human bio-electrical systems to totally rule anything out.

I just hope I can find an answer to make it go away.  For the people taking copaxone, did the dents improve when not using that site?  In other words is atrophy of fat tissues reversible?

Thanks for the input guys!  It seems like a ridiculous problem, but with all that gets dealt with when your ill, who needs dents to top it off!

Corina
I have dents everywhere it seems and its from the copaxone injections..I have paid attention..lol

But there may be other reasons, it is realy very interesting.  I just gave up, it seems a small problem compared to others and that is just for me..I am older now too.

Thanks, meg
I use to get a dent in my one thigh from a chair lol... and sadly I have almost no leg muscles left. My husband was just complaining last night because I've lost almost all muscle tone (saying I need to exercise but it hurts!). Anyhow, I have noticed that since my muscle tone is almost non existent anymore I no longer have the dent or get them.

I know, not much help. But yep use to get dents. I stopped sitting in that chair lol Maybe I need to sit in it again and see if I still get them :)
meg:  Thanks for your comments.  You're absolutely right, it is a small thing... I'm just so sick and tired of the big things.  So in some ways I notice the little things because I just want SOMETHING to go right.  Also, I would really like to just be OK with me as I am, sick and all, but I'm not there yet!

tripnstumble:  Hmm...so maybe it really is from leaning on the bathroom counter.  Who knows?  But it's good to know I'm not crazy and others get dents!  I don't know what I would do if my husband complained about my lack of muscle...I would be heartbroken.  Mine (whether true or not!) always goes the other way (you're still beautiful...blah blah blah lol!)

Corina
I just had to comment on this... A year or two ago I noticed a giant dent in my right shin that seemed to be there most of the time and I couldn't figure out what the heck it was for the longest time.

Finally I realized it was from having my shin jammed up against the leg of the dining-room table for hours while reading the newspaper, etc. Boy, did I feel silly, worrying about that dent! I stopped jamming my leg against the table and the denting stopped. I hope your problem is nothing more serious. :)
The dents in the thighs and other areas are from my Copaxone injections. The fat is destroyed and will not come back. I am told not to inject into those areas that have fat destruction. It is getting harder and harder to find areas that are ok to inject. They either have lumps, flat spots..

I don't want to change DMDs but at some point I might have to.
Hugs
Kristi
I don't mean he complained in a bad way. He knows I'm miss emotional and can't say something that'll hurt my feelings lol or he'll have to sit here and hug me until I'm done crying haha But, I have lost a lot (for me) weight in the past few months 135 to 123. So with the weight loss and no muscles it's really showing and I think he's just worried. But, with the constant fatigue it hurts to exercise ughhh.
Thanks for your post and I'm not laughing!    I had the exact same thing many years ago when I worked in a hospital.   Five days a week I stood and leaned against the lower desk whilst filling out patients forms on the top level of the desk (if you get what I mean).  I got the very same dents in my thighs and I was really concerned.  (Seems funny now!).   When I was not doing that particular job any more,  the dents disappeared..    I was thinking that I would have to get a 'neck to knee' swimming costume for the summer.   Don't worry.....time heals all dents! '

P
tripnstumble:  sorry to misinterpret you, I'm just really sensitive on the issue myself!  And boy do I know what it's like to be too tired to exercise.  Such a stupid catch-22.  It's one reason this stupid issue is causing me more stress than it should.  I feel my whole body is going to pot before its time and feel so helpless to stop it.

Everyone:  Thanks for all the responses.  I guess the general agreement is that coxapone injection caused dents won't go away (which s ucks - hope I don't have to take that in the future), but pressure dents will.  It's good to know that others have experienced this and I'm not crazy!  

Corina
well hope its not serious- but we do lose muscle, - hey thats not bad-- i have wrinkles in my brain!!! lol hope i made ya laugh!! hugs
It's funny you posted this question over a year ago. I have the same exact thing on my Rt. thigh. I was reading you responses and I figured mine out.. ( finally after several months) I lean on my bathroom sink while doing my makeup in the exact spot that my dent is on.. Check it out on your counter top... Good luck!
I'm not on any medications. I recently got the stomach flu. While I was ill, I noticed a dent in my thigh that was never there before. It has been about 2 weeks, and the dent hasn't gone away. I did have my laptop on my thighs for extended hours, but I always use a cushion between my legs and the laptop. Could it be that my laptop caused this dent? I just started searching for more information about this because I'm quite concerned now. What should I do to smooth out my thigh?