Multiple Sclerosis Community
Dent in my leg?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dent in my leg?

A weird question for you all. I've had this dent in my upper thigh on my left leg and didn't pay it much mind until recently I noticed it is getting bigger. So much so that when I was staying at the hotel with my mom and sister, when daddy was in the hospital, they commented on it.

It is a little over 1/2 inch wide and about 1and 3/4 in length. It is a little sore to touch and when I push on it it goes white. Any ideas?

Moki
Moki,
   Sorry I don't remember (anything,ever, lol) but do you inject meds like copaxone? I have one on my upper right thigh a little bigger than you describe and it came from an injection (or so the doc told me). I don't remember a specific injection that caused it but my neuro reminded me of the "dimple effect" they warn us about. I said this is much bigger than a dimple and she said that is still what the cause was and that maybe I should change the setting on my auto-inject.
   I would ask your doctor next time you go just in case and for peace of mind.
   Hope this helps :)
   Erin
Nope, no meds, no diagnosis. Just this weird dent. But then I am weird so this shouldn't surprise me. heehee

I just wondered if anyone had an idea as it seems to be slowly getting bigger. But thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

Hugs
Moki
Hi Moki,
I'm tempted  to make some joke about a flesh eating virus or something else really weird, but obviously you already have something weird going on with this dent.  I would show it to the doctor the next time you are in and see what the medical world would think.... - Lulu

PS I see you're thankful for your forum family - well we're thankful you're here and glad your dad is progressing nicely from his surgery.
I have had a weird dent in my left leg...the leg that is worse with pain etc... it started as a smaller dent and then went all the way down and across my leg...

I asked the Dr..he looked at it...I said it hurts sometimes... badly at times too..he said he didn't know what it was?  maybe a vein that collapsed?  He hasn't done anything about it.. I have these dent in my arms and hands...and a nurse at the lab said it's from giving blood tests...and my arm ones are collapsed veins...they hurt when I push on them too?  

I try not to worry about them.. they are not sore everyday..just once in awhile...say once a month or so...it gets very painful in the dent area? ?  

let me know if you find out what your is and maybe I should ask my Dr too look into it more??  I also have cysts under my elbows in both my arms?  they get sore too?

take care
wobbly
undx
Hey Moki Kid

Like Lulu , my first reaction was to want to make a joke .....     The Ever Expanding Sink Hole Event . Probably because I don't have anything good ideas for you.  :)

Could it be your first experience with cellulite??  Someone should have some info on this .

I was so glad to hear your Dad is out of the hospital and doing well..  You have to be relieved.

Hugs
Jo
Don't know what it could be, my little dented friend.

Could it be from all the muscle spasms you have?  I have knots on my arms and legs from all the spasms and sometimes there will be a dented place, but it usually goes away when the spasms ease off.

Can you have it checked by a dr?  Probably wouldn't hurt to have a professional opinion.  Though the last few pro opinions you've had haven't been very enlightening...heeheehee

Love & Hugs
Me

I have a dent, but it doesn't get white when I press on it.  The muscle underneath is atrophied, so there's this sinkhole - yes!  The Ever Expanding Sinkhole Event Horizon.  I think it's the peroneus longus muscle that runs from the knee to the ankle.  Seems to have gone away.  My right leg is weak, and gives out without warning.

Another possibility is spasticity - the muscle is constantly tensed, and causing a dent.  Dunno, cause I'm not looking at it.  My right thigh all yesterday had this little tensed sore muscle in it - right in the middle.  Just sitting there, all tensed up.  It was great.  And then my little toe decided to point toward my big toe...  That was great too!  ;-)

I also get sore in the muscle that's right next to the atrophied muscle...  Yeah, go see a doctor about it - it's almost certainly one of the two, but if it were a collapsed vein, that would be bad.
You gals made me chuckle. Hey the could thing is it is a dent in my leg and not in my brain.heehee Although I'm sure that is up for debate at times.lol

Well let's see, not flesh eating as the skin is still there. Not cellulite cause goodness knows I got lots of that.lol I'm thinking the Ever Expanding Sink Hole Event. heehee

It definitely is where the muscle is and I do seem to be having a lot of spasticity of late. The thigh has been spastic since the summer. It does seem to be as if something underneath has disappeared that was holding the skin and fat up.lol

Thanks for the support and ideas and definitely the chuckles. As for a doctor, well not in the near future. I'm going to wait till after the holidays to start again. I need a break.

Hugs and love to you all
DentaMoki
Brain fart, meant to say good not could. Sheesh I've been doing that a lot lately but usually catch it. Maybe I do have a dent in my brain heehee
Brain dent?  Wouldn't we have to have a brain for it to be dented?  

Oh yea, I forgot, I do have a brain, the MRI had a picture of my PERFECT brain.....heeheeheehee

Your MRI had a picture of a brain too, it was PERFECT only had a few lesions, but that doesn't count, right?

Love u
My first thought was Morphea or a type of localized scleroderma.  Is the skin a different texture than the surrounding skin?  Does it seem fixed to the underrlying tissue?

Just a thought.

Quix
I wish I could answer your question, but I don't know.

In MY case, I have dents all over my butt and my legs, but as I say in MY case, it's celluite.  I call it my 18 hole golf course, complete with divets and putting greens.

Mok, I was walking past a mirror the other day, naked as a jay-bird and screamed.  Someone was following me...little did I know, but it was my own B u t t.  It was a sight to behold.

See I told you I didn't know what was wrong with you.  You're too little to have an 18 hole golf course in your legs and behind.  Now in my case, they have been following me around for YEARS.

Huggie Wuggies,
Heather
my foster mum had a mintue cut from falling over but because of MS the cut grew bigger each day, she has had several skin grafts over it to try and close the wound but they failed. touch wood though the wound has healed now but its left a great 3 1/2 inch diameter circle wound in her leg that is indented.
we make jokes when people ask about it and say its a gunshot wound lol
maybe you caught your leg on something, cut it but it healed and made a dent?
but i dont really know anything about MS just that i am very close to my foster mum and she shares everything with me.
hope you find the source of your dent!
good luck
Thanks all for trying here. I guess I'm an enigma.heehee

Doni, ya I was amazed a brain did show up and only 8 lesions.lol Now if only the brain would work.lol

Quix, I looked up that Morphea and nope, not it. The skin is normal, just indented and it only goes white if I push on it and then it goes back to normal. The dent runs on an angle, not that means anything.lol I've also had a lot of spasms through that area so....eh, not sure.

Heather, you made me laugh. I almost fell of the chair.lol I'm not that little though hon, but thanks!! Huggie Wuggies to you to.

Sandy, don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting you yet, so hi. No I've had no cut but I know my mom had the same thing as yours and she has quite the dent in there now to. Thanks for trying though.

Hugs from
The dented one
I am amazed to see that so many women have these 'dents' on their upper thighs.  There are quite a few boards that talk about this.  I too have had them for the past year or two.  I was working out quite a bit and thought they were from my leg press machine and that maybe I wasn't doing them right and developing the wrong muscles.  Then I noticed that the dents were right where I leaned against the sink as I leaned over to the mirror about 20 inches away, to check my eyes, skin, hair, etc.  I really believe this is what has caused it.  You might want to check your bathroom sink, office desk, etc. to see if it is a fit.  My sink is exactly the right height and my left leg, which is the worst, is the one I always lean against.  I'm going to try to remember to stop leaning and hope that it hasn't done permanent damage.   I hope this helps.  Good luck to everyone.  Sunshine... :0)
I don't think we've met yet so, Hi and welcome to the forum.

It was an interesting idea that you gave and I checked everything out at work and home and for me it doesn't fit. Nothing I lean up against is where the dent is. Ah if it only were that easy of an answer. lol But thank you for responding.

Hugs
Moki
I'm glad I found this!
I too have a dent that just appeared on the outside of my right thigh, about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.  It's the weirdest thing, didn't injure it, no pain before it appeared, skin is normal. I'm very slim, and when I run my hand along it it just feels like my muscle all of a sudden doesn't exist in this space and then continues on after.  Any information or updates out there?
Thanks!
I believe it's from Copaxone. Are you on Copaxone? I have big dents in each thigh, abdomen, flank area. I asked my Dr about it and he says it's from the lipoatrophy that comes from injections. I only inject  into my abdomen, hips, and flanks. I feel like I will run out of places to Inject eventually,. But it beats some of the other DMD 's that affect the liver and causes flu symptoms..
I guess I'll take the uneven skin over body aches.

Kristi
Kristi,
You need to start a new post this is years old. Thanks

Alex
I also have a dent in my left  thigh closer to the hip between my hip and knee. I am a 27 year old female. I am not over weight. I weigh at the most 115. It's about 3 inches long and two inches wide about a half inch deep. Does not hurt, the vein that runs threw it sometimes is very blue. Inside the dent under the skin is hard. I have never hurt the area leaned on anything or get shots. I do not have enough money to go to the doctor so i was wondering if it is something i really need to go for. The dent has been on my leg for about three months now. I don't sleep on just my left side.
So no one knows what this is??? My goodness, I just noticed a dent exactly where everyone is describing theirs and I've searched for answers on a ton of forums and still have not found one good explanation.

Does anyone have a clue, please??
I know this is an old thread but I discovered it when searching "hole in leg".  I too have a large hole in my upper thigh.  I'm hoping it's caused by the Copaxone but the worrier in me is worried its some kind of muscle wasting disease!  It's pretty big, about the size of a teaspoon.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
My daughter has the same issue in her left hip. Xraays showed her bone stopped growing on that side. We are going to a special Dr just in congenital issues. Hope they know cause she is out of some classes inschool and her future dream of military training is not looking good.
Hi to you and all the others with a dent in their leg. I have a similar dent as you describe that appeared out of nowhere this december. I'm guessing mid December. It's 4 inches long, perhaps 1 inch wide.

It wraps around my upper right thigh.  At first I thought it might be cellulite but It doesn't look like cellulite at all. It is smooth.

Please let me know if you find out what this is.

This isn't my area of expertise (and I'm not a medical professional), but have you ever looked into this? Lipoatrophia semicircularis?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoatrophia_semicircularis

It probably won't provide many answers as it just means semicircular fat loss of unknown origin, but as it specifically mentions the thigh area in a way you describes and suggests some groups of people thought to be more susceptible, I thought you might find it interesting. The photographs that show up on google are also just as you describe.