Diagnosed - now to deal with it
so, the last time I saw the neurologist she took the wait and see approach.  Last week I had the strangest sensation of my foot being in cold water and my eye started getting worse.  Dr. has decided no more wait and see, now I have to choose a drug and I have soooooo much literature to read.  She also gave me a prescription for steroids (which my daughter has since eaten - the paper I mean).  I knew the diagnosis was coming but am still finding it hard to accept. I can't stop crying.  Hopefully I'll be able to get on with things soon.
I'm so very sorry...  I know what you are going through.  Even though you are in some way expecting this dx, the reality of it is terrible.  Allow yourself time to grieve.  It's perfectly normal and I think a necessary part of acceptance, and moving on.  

(((Hugs))),
Tammy
Mummy, I'm so sorry you've been diagnosed with this MeSsy disease.  Like Tammy said, allow yourself to grieve, and you may find yourself bursting into tears about it months down the line.  

One day at a time...that's my MO.

I hope your neuro didn't just plop a pile of fancy brochures into your lap and bid you adieu.  So many do, though...sigh...does your neuro have a nurse or PA who can help you sort out through all this stuff and help you come to a coherent decision?

Keep us posted.
Well Mummy, it is tough to digest - both the paper for the prescription and the diagnosis of MS.  I am so sorry you have this answer, but now you have a name for what you are battling.  

Being emotional is not at all unusual - it is pretty much the norm for everyone.  We know we have MS, we expect to be diagnosed with MS, but when it happens it is still a lot to process.  Be sure and take some time for yourself to absorb this news.

There is a lot you can do to learn to live with MS, including being proactive, learning what you can, make a choice for DMD and stick with it.  They do work in slowing the disease progression and the best choice we have.

Again, I'm sorry you have joined this club that no one want to belong to - but it's not a lonely place.  You have lots of company here and I hope you will come around as often as you need.

be well,
Lulu

It is a big shock. I never expected to be told I had MS. I never even thought about MS.

Be as emotional as you need to be. You end up going through the stages of grief. This is a big change. In the end you are the same person only you have MS. The hard part is this disease is unpredictable. The thing is not every part of MS happens to every person. It all depends where the inflammation happens in your central nervous system and it comes and goes for most people.

I was in a room with hundreds of people with MS from all over the country last week and no two of us had exactly the same issues.

Hang in there.
Alex

You can get used to this disease and live your life.
Thank you all for your kinds words.  This forum has become a lifeline for me.
(((Big hugs)))

There are many of us that are newly diagnosed and picking/starting medication soon.

I am here to support. Hang in there