Dilantin and Tegretol
My doctor is looking at both of these drugs (one at a time) to help control my TN pain levels (as well as for other forms of nerve pain.)  Gabapentin was making me feel too drugged, so I stopped taking it.  Low and behold, I am in pain.  No shock there. (Pun intended.)

The drug side effect lists are scary for both of them.  If any of you have experience with either of these drugs, I need help deciding what side effects I can handle.  Increased facial hair was a big one for dilantin.  Yikes!!

Thanks for your help, in advance.  I'm in a lot of pain. but I just don't want to trade one serious problem for another one- you know what I mean??
I'm in the process of changing to Tegretol at the moment as my previous drug made me really tired and didn't kill the pain.  So far I've got zero side effects.

Poppy
Just started tegretrol this week so far no side effects. I am weaning off lyrica for the 2nd time so I hope it works this go around. Good luck in your adventure hope it helps with the pain

Take care
Kat
I'm not familiar with Tegretol.But as an epileptic,I took Dilantin for 32 yrs~~~way too long! Can't remember all the side effects;but do remember you have to have a CBC every 6 monthes due to the possible risk of leukemia.The main reason the neuro got me off of it was that Dilantin leaks into your body,building up in your organs.Wishing you the best in finding relief from nerve pain!
I guess we'll all have to keep an eye on how things progress.  Hopefully the Tegretol will work, without too many side effects.

Tammy
My doctor wanted me to start with the Dilantin first, but then I read that bone-thinning and excess facial hair can be the some of the side effects. (So, I'm going with Tegretol.)  I had no idea about the risk of leukemia!  

Are you okay?
Tammy
Hi, Tammy,

I'm no stranger to TN, and it's rearing it's ugly head again, lately.  I take a combination of Gabapentin, and Trileptal (a kin to Tegritol).  Trileptal makes me dizzy, but if I ramp up very slowly, it becomes tolerable.   So, I start with 300 mg each of G and T at bedtime, for three days.  Then, I add the same doses in the morning, so that my morning and evening doses are 12 hours apart.  I do this for three days, and then add a noon dose if necessary.  

Right now, just the morning and evening dose are controlling the pain, but back in January, I was up to 5 doses/day to control the pain.  My TN was really bad!  I weaned myself off in the same fashion about two months later.

I hope your TN goes away soon!
Hugs,
Lisa
Tammy,
   Thanks for your concern.So far,I don't think my health issues stem from the use of Dilantin.
A friend of mine has it on both sides of her face,  In the end, only surgery helped her.  I hope yours goes away too.  Thanks for the hugs, :) (Back at ya!

Tammy
Well, this was a failed experiment for me.  I developed a rash, and blisters in my mouth.  

I hope it works better for the rest of you.
Tammy