Multiple Sclerosis Community
Dismissed by doctor... is it my age?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dismissed by doctor... is it my age?

Can anyone help me understand these results?  I am a 50 year old woman who has been experiencing tingling, numbness in my legs, feet, side of face, fingers in left hand and spine.  The feeling up and down my spine happens off and on and feels like spiders crawling.  This is not painful.  Many of these symptoms are transient, although lately my left foot has felt numb for weeks.  My MRI results showed the following:
"There is scattered punctate T2 hyperintensity in the white matter of the corona radiata and centrum semiovale: gray white matter differentiation is maintained.  Ventricles and sulci are normal"  
No acute findings, no significant change since previous examination... 8 months prior.
My doctor said these white spots are most likely due to age.  
I have been going through this for about a year and a half and feel so frustrated.
Should I just chalk this up to age?
Hi and welcome.  Have you been seen by an MS specilaist (neurologist)?  IT is important to have a thorough exam.  You may not have MS, but something is causing that leg numbness and you want to know what it is.  

There are many people here who have gone years looking for answers - I hate to share that thought but it is true.  

At 50 you still have lots of good years ahead and you want to have some answers as to what is going on.

welcome again,
Lulu
I think the age thing is a cop out. I hate it when they say that to anyone. That means I do not know what is going on. I do not know what is wrong but something is going on. Neurologists specialize. You have to know what they specialize in. I for example went to one who was a headache specialist so she missed my MS even though that is what I was there for. She only wanted to treat headaches and I did not need headache treatment.

Alex
Comments to a 50 year old attributing anything to age are patronizing, and not comments I would accept from a doctor. It says to me "I'm not sure what's wrong with you. I am sure I'm not interested in finding out."

I would find a new doctor ASAP. As Lulu mentioned I would try and find a neurologist that specializes in MS. They would be they will be able to either diagnose MS or rule it out.

Kyle
PS I'm 52 and was diagnosed last year.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I have started to feel as if I am over focused on my symptoms. I realize they are more sensory, but they still are there... hard to just put them aside.
I'm not sure I would put numbness in my feet in the sensory symptom category. I also wouldn't try and put them aside. They are there for a reason. Your body is trying to tell you something. The trick now is to find the doctor who can translate the message :-)

Kyle
It is hard not to focus on what you do not understand. Not knowing what is wrong is hard.

Alex
Hi, I am 56 and was dx with MS last year, so age has nothing to do with it! Go see a neurologist ASAP. If one will not listen and give you the time of day go to another. I had many test done and some came back neg and some pos until they did a LP which showed all the bands. My doctor looked at all the tests together and determined I have relapsing remitting ms. Then the next step is the right medication. Good Luck in finding the right doctor.
Hi and welcome...
I was diagnosed in 2009 with PPMS (primary progressive) at the age of 52.  Don't let anyone try and use the "age thing". Like everyone else said... Find a neurologist that specializes in MS. Good luck and keep us updated.
Debbie
~Live as if all your dreams came true~
Can you tell me what your symptoms were prior to your diagnosis?   Sometimes I wonder if this time between symptoms and diagnosis is as difficult as living with the reality of disease. Probably shouldn't say that... I know it must be so very hard living with significant disability.  
This is the hardest time ever, we call it LIMBOLAND.... and it is very hard.  I'm 54, and was dx at 52 for sure.  So, don't let the tell yoy it is your age, we can get MS dx at any age, we just have to fight for it sometimes.

It is very possible, that you have had un diagnosed things in your past, that might relate to the MS ..... it will help your Dr. if you can think of things like that, unexplained illnesses, or things like that in the past years, ..... that is what I did, and it did help, it is just more information that will hopefully help them get a dx.

Hope you can get an answer soon,

welcome to the forum, this is the best place to be.  

take care,
Candy
My first MRI, showed two lesions,   At the time  I saw just a regular Neuro  she said don't worry about it,  it was age related, I was 48 at the time.  
Other big myth is men rarely get MS

Some time after that I found this forum.

I now have six lesions and one on the Cspine I also have great MSLogist now.  I'm still in Limboland

take care
JB
I was 39 when I had my first flare and 69 before I was dx.........so don't let them throw the age thing at you.........they are forgetting that you didn't just get this, its just now showing itself.........

find a doctor who specializes in MS and if that's what it is, they are more in tune with finding it.

I went thru 4 neuros who told me the same thing.  Fibro, age, alzheimers, anxiety, carpel tunnel, you name it, they tried to label me.....

Good luck!