Multiple Sclerosis Community
Dizzines/Vertigo During Childhood "Precursor to MS" Symptoms?...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dizzines/Vertigo During Childhood "Precursor to MS" Symptoms?

Good morning, everyone,

I have seen posts from folks who have had things happen since childhood that they believe were early signs of MS.

This isn't meant to be scientific by any means, yet one thing really sticks out in my mind.

When I was a child I was prone to car/motion sickness.  On several occasions, my parents had to pull over quick!

When I was about 8, I had my first episode of debilitating vertigo.  I woke up one morning, went to get out of bed, and fell down.  I didn't cry or anything, just pulled myself up, let go of the bed, and down I went again.  My mother came in to see what the racket was about and I told her I couldn't stand up.  She took me to the doctor and I didn't have an ear infection or anything.  They just recommended bed rest.  It lasted for two days, and as quickly as it came, it went.  I had another episode of that when I was about twelve, then a couple in my twenties, but haven't had it that severely since then, although now I do tend to walk like a duck and cut corners too short and end up bumping into walls.

So, I was wondering.  Would these childhood episodes be worth mentioning to my neurologist?  I never really gave it that much thought (duh) but could they provide a clue?

Thank you for taking the time to read!

Hugs,
Minnie  :)
We meet again!
I'd write everything down (if ur hands are working), & tell him/her EVERYTHING you feel May be pertinent. You Never know when some Neuros May be @ lunch, & discussing stuff, & then BOOM! A Connection! A Cure! & all because patients like yourself are helpfully providing details. Right?
Ps - my dizziness / vertigo is pretty new NOW, but definitely a lot of it when I was a Kid. I'd even get that "Alice-in-Wonderland" thing (google it - it's weird!), where items in my room would grow and shrink, for years...
So I think ur onto something, myself...
:-) Am
We meet again!
So I think ur onto something, myself...
:-) Am
I'd like to add a couple of things.

I had not even considered the car/motion sickness and didn't recall the childhood incidents of vertigo until my mother mentioned them to me last night.  She even recalled the time I barfed in the back seat of a family friend's car.

Back then my parents had a large car (I believe it was a '73 Caprice) that was so big you could register it in two counties.  It had a bench seat, and I would have to sit in the front between my parents.  This, of course, infuriated my brother. :D If I sat in the back, every time that car would turn so would my stomach.  Ugh!  I don't know why I never thought about those things or made any possible connection to what I'm going through now. Or, maybe there isn't any connection at all

So, I was wondering, do any of you all have things that happened back during childhood that you believe was a precursor to your MS?  If I recall correctly, HVAC had symptoms from childhood.  Anyone else?  And again, would it be worth mentioning to my neurologist?

Thank you all very much,
Hugs,
Minnie  :)
Thank you!  Haha, I believe we were posting at the same time.

I have heard of the Alice in Wonderland thing.  I didn't have it, but the vertigo and motion sickness were definitely there.

Thanks you very much for writing!

Hugs,
Minnie
My thoughts?  The motion sickness, maybe not so much MS-ey.  The inability to stand up? Probably so.

I had lots of motion sickness, and so did most of my friends and relatives, and my grandkid, too.

My first childhood "event" that I can think of that might be MS-ey?  I had my first major depression episode at age 10.  Didn't get out of bed for about 4 weeks.  Mom asked if I'd like to visit a "talking doctor".  I declined, but a few years later, I wished I had.
I haven't been diagnosed with MS, but I have an appointment next week to start the process to see if I might.  I have had two other autoimmune diseases.  Hoping third times NOT a charm, but I have a strong feeling it is.

I have been thinking back to my childhood.  I have one major event when I was 12.  One side of my body when completely numb, everything.  My face, arm and leg.  The doctor didn't even want to see me.  Just chalked it up to my graduation and going to visit my father in Japan.  Now, I'm not so sure.

A childhood history of car/motion sickness is  a known precursor to migraines. Migraines a very common among MS'ers. Some of the symptoms described above COULD be  migraine related.

I know as a child and still sometimes as an adult, I suffer motion sickness but it now quickly turns into a migraine instead of stopping when the motion stops.

Just my 2 cents,
ren
I was told this story by my Mom and Dad several times....

When I was 2 1/2 my mom put me down for a nap....but when I didn't wake up she went and checked on me. I was in full seizure.

After over 24 hours and being sent to 2 hospitals .... getting a dx of Grand Mal Seizure and Bell's Palsy....the doctors told my parents "IF I lived, I would have permanent brain damage." They never did find out what caused that episode and I didn't have brain damage. (?)

After that I was constantly sick with "weird illnesses" The kind the doctors can't figure out....(I am STILL doing that at 53!) My dad called me a 'lemon' all through my childhood/teen years.

I was 15 when I got a Very severe case of Mono/hepatitis....It took over a month to recover. Then a few months later I had dizzy spells and then fainted....more tests...they said I had low blood sugar....I felt horrible for a couple of months and everything just went away... that never happened again.

I got "sick" again when I was in my mid twenties....went away again....then when I was 33, I had the BIG attack when they first took a brain MRI and my " MS" not "MS" journey began...

Laurie

I so appreciate your taking the time to share your experiences

My mother believes that, looking back, these episodes, especially the vertigo to the extent that I couldn't stand up, is related to what I'm going through now. Since those particular incidents were four years between each other (I truly don't recall the exact dates it happened in my twenties) I didn't make any connection.

I haven't told a whole lot to my parents because I don't want them to worry. They know the bare essentials because my dad has taken me to a couple of neurologist appointments (the first doofus that was kind of far from my house) and my LP back in early December. Sad for me but great for them, my parents are way healthier and more active and "on the go" than I, and they are in their seventies! They were, I think, "Health Food Nuts" back in the 1970's. My mom was a believer in natural remedies ande vitamins. My dad drank vinegar, V8 juice, and even sulpher water. Luckily I have inherited a lot of those habits, (not the sulfur water... Yuck).

I recall when I was expecting my daughter, my mother got me a supply of Red Raspberry leaf tea and honey, and told me if I drink that every day and walk every day that I would have an easy birth.

Lol, perhaps it was luck, but I did that with both of my children andhad tthem quickly and natural, meaning NO EPIDURAL. Which is why I am, in part, so ticked about STILL not having my results, but as Laurie advised, I am making myself a bit of a pain. Not rude, but vocal.

Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to readtthrough all this.

I hope you have a blessed day,
Hugs, Minnie

Haha, forgot to say that the results I am waiting for are of my LP.
You ARE NOT A LEMON.

Wow, as a parent I find that absolutely terrifying!

You know, I am thinking there are clues that just get overlooked.

Love and hugs, my SFAM ;-)
Minnie

To All of u - I learn more everyday!

Thanks for all of u sharing with me, & I'm ever grateful for my new virtual family on here.

I've run the course of all the 'weird' syndromes (to the point of my mum & daughter not believing I was ill @all, for over a year, until I got my lesiony MRI back).

I finally know that I'm not nuts, & that MS sure likes to test the patience of everyone concerned.

I was even accused of faking my Bell's palsy attack at first, until I was viewed sleeping with one eye open, lol.

I guess it's cos no one can believe that one condition can affect so much, but it's our BRAIN that's affected, & last time I heard, our brains are running the whole operation.

Anyhow, this community is a very validating experience. A group where Everyone 'Gets' it. Sooooo thankful for all your shares!

Stay healthy as u can, all!

A :-)
Amythyst, I so get what you're saying about the faking! I haven't been directly accused  of it, yet my first neurologist certainly implied it and indicated that I was wasting his time.

I love this forum. The people here are so nice and understanding.

Hugs, Minnie :)
Hugs right back atchoo!  :-)
I was always car sick as a child but had head injury as a result of bring hug by a truck ad s pedestrian and this really interested my neuro (I had 42 stitches behind my ear alone)

My passing out episodes and dizzy and falling episodes started about 4 yrs latrr
Oh my goodness, how frightening and painful that must have been! I can't even begin to imagine. Maybe I read it here, but I recall seeing thatprior ttrauma and/or infection can be an indicator.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Hugs, Minnie
wow I see my "cog fog fingers" are mis spelling again today!

meant hit by a truck as a pedestrian.......egads........
mom said I was thrown about 10 feet into the air

I was about 9 at the time, if I remember right.
Oh dear, 9 years old! And thrown in the air. You and your mother must have been terrified.

Odd, though, that apparently children perceive things a bit differently.

When I had the severe vertigo, I recall I was more puzzled than actually scared. Like, okay, why can't I stand up today? I thought that if I kept trying I wouldbe aable to stand.

Once I fell into a shallow creek bed. Probably about 8 or so. I was laying there catching my breath when a neighbor came and began checking me for broken bones. I remember thinking, "He's silly, people's bones can't break!"
Everything is worth considering and merits a notch of recognition on your health (or symptom) time-line.  Some caution may be in order with the neuro.  It all depends on the 'feel' you get or the rapport you have with your docs.  Some of them want to consider Everything.  Others consider people who pay 'too much' attention to their own bodies as suspect and don't take us seriously.

The episodes of true vertigo may be significant - of something.  Several possibilities exist.  Many involve inner ear mechanisms.

Motion sickness is actually an inherited trait in most cases.  My sister read to her heart's content on our weekly trips to visit relatives when we were kids.  Constant nausea gave me two choices.  #1- keep my eyes on a long view of the pasting landscape or #2 - nap.  To this day traveling from here to there via anything other than my own feet will leave me feeling sick.  I got it from my dad and passed it on to one of my kids and one of my grands.  

You bring up an interesting idea but I doubt there's any connection between MS and childhood instances of motion sickness.  It's so tempting to blame MS for all types of things.  In reality most of us can't even be sure which of our health events happening TODAY are MS influenced.  I would think childhood retrospective assessments would be both harder and less accurate.
My MS started at two. I was hospitalized and sent to the Mayo Clinic because of not being able to swallow. Then at 6 I was sent to a Neurologist at Duke for my double vision. Both instances they knew I had something wrong with my brain stem, but in the 60's no one had heard of pediatric MS. I saw Neurologists a lot growing up and no one told me. My vertigo never went away it is not something that comes and goes, it is something I have learned to climb three story ladders with and play sports.

Alex
Wow.  Quite a variety among us.

I had at least two concussions of sufficient severity that Dad (the cheapskate, even when he had great insurance ) took me to Children's Hospital ER.  I was always free of motion sickness; even into my 40s I loved roller coasters, fair rides that flip people upside down at 60 feet above the ground, etc.  That all stopped in July 2008.  I can't remember if it was the 3rd or the 5th.  I know I called in sick, and the management @ that job later often seemed to suspect me of faking all of it.  (They even told me I took too much time off for my wife's death).
Wow, I thought my almost 5 years was a long time in imbo.
I swear sometimes I think I must be adopted. No one else in my family has any of this type of thing going on. My brothers never got car sick or had vertigo.

I jokingly commented to my mom not long ago that I must be adopted because I'm the only one with all this weirdness and she got pretty angry and said, "You are NOT adopted! You are the daughter I always wanted!" I told her I was just joking but I could tell it upset her. Kind of makes me wonder even more, but I will never say that again!
you know my twin sister told me a few months ago that when we were kids, she used to sit on the floor beside my bed, because I could not get up because I said the room was spinning and I didn't know why or what was happening, it happened quite abit too.  I forgot about this and have never mentioned it to the Dr.  I never was good on ride, I always got sick on them, but the car I was OK with.

???  who knows for sure with MS.  
take care
wobbly
I know the feeling about being the only child of 5 that has these symptoms etc.  but my twin has RA... not good.

Oddly enough, I could do roller coasters. Of course, now, due to my funky neck, I have been told I can't ride them any more. I am taking that advice seriously. The last one I rode was Chang at Kentucky Kingdom when on a field trip with my son about 7 years ago.

Now, rides that go in circles, or even the merry-go-round would make me sicker than a dog.
This is fascinating.  I haven't been diagnosed with MS--I won't recount the epic investigations once again--but when I was in third, fourth, and fifth grades, I missed two to four weeks of school each respective year because of extreme dizziness.  My parents took me to various doctors, and we ended up at Children's Hospital, where I had an MRI.  The doctor told my parents that "your son most likely either has a brain tumor or, if not, a mental disorder."  ...aaaand, nope, no brain tumor.

The dizziness stopped after fifth grade, but then returned several years ago, along with a host of MS-type symptoms.  I actually forgot all about the childhood problems, but my parents were quick to remind me.

I also get seriously car sick when I ride in back seats, but I don't equate that with the dizzy spells and vertigo I've had; I don't get nauseated from the dizzy spells, just...dizzy.  And sometimes it's actually a kind of fun feeling in a way, as it comes in a big rush that makes me light-headed, almost like being tipsy.

Anyway, in the end--when I was born very ill, and then later when I had these dizzy spells, and then more recently, "idiopathic" is the closest thing to a diagnosis I've gotten.
I mentioned the car-sickness because it used to be really bad. Since I've become an adult that hasn't been so much of an issue for me, although riding in the back seat does make me queasy.  I haven't been sick to my stomach after riding in the back seat in a long time though.

Lately I have been having vertigo at varying levels.  None so severe as to fall down as I have in the past, yet on a couple of occasions, enough to impact my life and affecting my ability to stand and take a shower.

Very interesting, though, to read people's stories.  After talking to my mom, it just got me to wondering how many people had "mysterious" childhood occurrences that could be a precursor to MS or whatever this weirdness is that I have going on.

All the best,

Minne  :)
Hi... Obviously new here :-) I was intrigued by your question about possible childhood events and the correlation to possible MS. I have been ill with many things from as far back as I can remember. Specifically 10 yrs. old. with right sided facial pain, dizziness on standing or climbing stairs. Car sickness and nausea, too. But as ArtistLike said, I don't associate that with the dizziness or light-headedness. I have had so many things, that early on I learned to ask myself what is that am I feeling, where is it coming from and why.  To say I've been told a few times since 10, that it's all in my head is an understatement.  Everything I have ever had a symptom of points to MS today. I want to get into it more, but I also want to read more.  And I am currently just coming out of a bad month of what no one can give me an answer for, except the pain clinic apt I have this Fri. Thanks new rheumy..not. I just wanted to at least say that I am so happy I am digging further, after a yr of thinking maybe they were all right and I'm certifiable. But, after this month, 1 yr out of 35 is just not enough. So thank you all. I am just beyond thrilled I found this forum and a cpl of others. My brain fog is hanging around pretty strongly, so I hope to have the energy to read more and get back soon.  Again, thank you for drawing me in.
Just wanted to say hi, welcome, and glad you found us. This is a great forum and there are a lot of nice helpful people here.

Take care,
Hugs, Minnie :)
I was one of those who could read a book while riding in a car cross-country. Nothing gave me motion sickness...until all this neurological business began. Now I can't even glance down at my lap while riding in a car.

Until my other sx showed up I thought it was just age. Maybe it still is. I don't even know what to think anymore.

I posted a question regarding tremors and motion sickness, because sometimes even the vibrating/shaking of my body makes me sick to my stomach.

Maybe if I ever find a neuro who will give me the time of day I'll find some answers.
Hi, I understand about being "blown off."   I was referred to an MS specialist by my PCP. I didn't request it, but apparently she thought my symptoms warranted it.

So, I self-referred to another neurologist and so far I like him. He read my timeline and had it scanned into my record.

I still don't know what I have, but at least he appears to  be willing to work with me.

All the best, Minnie