Multiple Sclerosis Community
Do brain lesions show up on a CT [without contrast[

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I am asking because I am about to shell out money I do not have for an MRI.  My symptoms are enlarged right pupil and in the left eye I am having greying of vision [minor; I still pass all eye tests in both eyes.]  I am sure I got nothing in my right eye and I have been to the ER twice now and they send me home.  I was going to see a nuerologist but am told that I am wasting my money as they will just order tests I do not need and charge me another few thousand dollars.  Should I just wait this out ?  I had a Cat Scan a wk ago and they said everything was normal.
I went to an Ophthalmologist and he said my Optic Nerve looked fine but this was two weeks ago.  He also said both of my eyes looked normal and was not very worried about my enlarged pupil except saying I should see a neuro which I do not have the money for ! [esp now being told that they aren't going to do much for me either.]  I have had a couple tests done on me at the ER and they never said anything either way so I am assuming I passed?
The only type of scan that is useful in MS is the MRI. CT scans reveal nothing about MS lesions one way or another.

If money is a problem then make sure of what they're testing for. You could also have an MRI without contrast only, and that would be cheaper. Contrast is helpful but not totally necessary.

Good luck,
ess
I'm wondering who it is that is telling you a neuro visit isn't going to tell you anything ?  Well meaning friends who want to save you money or informed health care providers who believe there is nothing wrong with you?  There's a big difference between the two.

Ess is right that the CT scan is worthless for the brain lesions imaging.

my best,
Lulu
The nurse who got fired from that nuerologist's office.  She is my friends mom.  I don't know who to believe anymore.  I have something seriously wrong with me, 2 parents who have money, and NOBODY wants to help me out!  I am so frustrated everybody is going to feel really bad if something happens to me.. well I hope who knows!  Because if my family really cared they might call once a day to see how I was doing or pay the money to help get me in!
So do you guys think I should pay the $180 to go to the neuro on Monday ?  Like I said I was told it was a waste of money and I know 180 doesn't seem like much but I am a single mother and it basically is my grocery money.  I will get by somehow.  But who is going to take care of my child if something happens to me and I am gone ?  It is tough trying to decide.  I will go if yall think I should.
Perhaps you should consider the source of that advice - if she was terminated by this doctor I'm sure there are not real friendly vibes.  If that is a real problem, you may want to consider seeing a different neurologist.

As for your parents, have you talked with them about how you are really feeling? Maybe its time to be honest with them and tell them you need their help to figure this out.  

If you know you have sometyhing wrong with you, don't take no answers as the easy way out.  Find a way to get the diagnositic help you need.

be well,
Lulu
I just wanted to let you know that my 1st visit was $175 (also my grocery money) but all my follow-up visits have only been $57 which is way cheaper than my PCP.I only wish I had found this neuro 3 yrs ago when all this started!! He is willing to write the orders for the needed tests & the hospitals (most, you can ask which ones) have hardship programs that will cover all or a large percentage of the costs. The Msaa offers the free diagnostic MRI & (brain only) & the diagnostic center had a financial hardship program that covered the MRI of my cervical spine. Since your a single mother have you checked into medicaid or a spend-down card? I didn't qualify because all my kids are over 18 but you may qualify.Its took me 3 yrs to figure out alot of this stuff so hopefully I can save you some precious time. There is help out there it just takes a while to find it & sometimes its right under your nose. I raised 4 kids alone so I know what your going through! I would write down all you symptoms, when & how often they occur, & have a list of questions ready when you go for the neuro visit. If he/she is dismissive or you don't feel comfortable with them then ask around & find a better one. You really need to find out whets going on for your sake & the sake of you child. I pray this helps you! I'll be praying for you!! God bless you!
Thank you for the prayers and information... both are always GREATLY appreciated*
I'm also praying that you get your answers!  

I think you should should have the MRI with and without contrast to get the best pictures you can!  Also try to get a Tesla 3 if possible.  Go somewhere where they only have a Tesla 3.

CT scans are almost totally useless when it comes to the brain - I'm amazed they still use them for potential stroke patients in the ER!!  So often they just give false negatives and then the patient, who really is having a stroke, is sent home.

Have your parents seen you lately?  I think if they saw that one of your pupils was much larger than the other, they might realize that you have real issues and pay for the necessary medical inquiry!!  How would they feel about having to raise their grandchild if something happened to you?

How could your eye exam have been negative with pupils of different sizes?

Like you, I had a negative eye exam for glasses not too long ago, but my eyes didn't feel right.  Recently, my MRI revealed increased T2 signal along the optic nerves bilaterally.  Routine eye exams are no match for an MRI well done.

Good luck to you!  I hope your parents help you out or you get government help!

WAF

Hey, don't think CTscans without contrast can show lesions, I think the ones with contrast sometimes do but even with those, they don't always pick up.

Sammy :)
If the money is a concern with the MRI cost, please go to the MSAA.org website and checkout the form that you and your doctor can submit to have the diagnostic MRI cost covered.  I know Tammy just used their services and it really does work, and it came through pretty fast.

good luck,
Lulu