Do your toes move by themselves causing spasms??
I know thats a weird question but this happens daily with me & its getting worse. I can be laying down watching tv or whatever & usually its 1 or 2 toes will move down(not the rest of them ) & then I have awful spasms in my foot & up my calf muscle. At 1st my Big Toe would move out sideways from the rest of my toes & then the spasm would hit but now it can be any of my toes. The Dr. just looked at me like I was crazy but can you move just one toe (especially one of your middle ones & not the rest?). Right before the spasm hits I get a feeling in whichever toe(like a pulse or shock) then the toe move & the spasm hits. I woke up this morning with pains shooting in my feet so thats a new one but the spasm thing has happened over a year & getting worse. It used to be only when I was trying to relax now I can be sitting up or even standing. Its tooooooo strange. You can also see other muscles moving under my skin at times (looks like a wave under my skin). When the moron e/r Dr. basically said it was all in my head my family told him it must be in their heads too because they watch this happening. I have twitches & the zaps & zings also but does anyone else have this happening too?? Does anyone else wake up with their hand drawn into fists to the point it leaves indentations in your hands?? Please tell me I'm not crazy as I plan to print my replies to this post & take them to my Dr. Thanks !!!
Omg i get this all the time specially at night time, sharp pain then my big toe pops out makes me cringe x
OMG it is so refreshing to read this and not feel alone!! My toes and foot have been spazzing periodically for a couple of years. The last six months or so, the calf gets so stiff.. It is so incredibly painful. It always occurs when I am lying in bed. Sometimes it wakes me up. I can feel it coming on and try to relax completely and occasionallly that helps. Mostly, I end up having to get out of bed and walk it out. I walk all around the condo. Last night, I was screaming and moaning and woke my husband. Yes, he has slept thru the others!! LOL.. Couldn't hear me moaning like I was dying? That's reassuring NOT. Anyway -- the past two months I'll have eye twitching in my left eye. Just all of a sudden for no reason, any time of day... Not sure if they're connected. I've never even mentioned any of this to my doctor, tho I visit him every 3 months. Sometimes I'll go a month and nothing happens so it's not always on my mind. It's not a daily occurence. Maybe three times a month or so. And I think, subconsciously, I just don't feel like going thru a bunch of tests. I think I'll mention it next time to see what he thinks.... Thanks for sharing because now I know I'm not alone!! and boy is it PAINFUL !
Same thing has started happening to me. I liken the feeling of side leg pain to shin splints on the side, but I'm not running. Wakes me up from a deep sleep. My right big toe pops up and I'm groaning with pain. Thought I was crazy. At least now I know I'm not alone.
I am having the same thing with my toes. My rheumy had no idea what it was but suggested low potassium levels. I notice that I have stumbled into an MS room, but I have never been dx with MS. I have Osteo-arthritis and fibromyalgia...interesting.
i have about the same things happen to me.i dont respond to these much.but you just made me laugh so hard,when you stated ..yes your husband  sleeps through this... i get it completely.have u found out what is wrong yet??me either.lol. ***@****  if u want to talk.mot making fun.i just needed a laugh.pam
i tried to send my info to u.dont know how this works.im OLD 60.LOL.but anyway you seem to have a sense of humor.im not a strange person.just talking.dont know if u can give info or not as i said. but pamj533 .and i have charter.pam.
hello I haven't been on here in quite a while but will send you my info :)
Hi Tammy and Everyone Else!  In 2011 I had cramps, muscle spasms in my toes also. They would split apart etc, very painful. Ended up at a Podiatrist that gave me a coritisone shot straight down in between my 2nd and 3rd toe. Two months later my 2nd toe started to raise and the 3rd toe bent at the knuckle, the spasms kept up. Six months later in 2012 I went to the Chief Surgeon of Podiatry and next I was in surgery. My 2nd was now up and over my Big toe and was dislocated and the plantar plate was broken. 7 months later I was back in surgery as the 2nd toe was moving up again, my pad hurt and the spasms occurred a lot.  He then wrapped my tendon or my ligament around the toe to hold it down, put a long pin in the toe and was a very long recovery. This all started in 2011 with the spasms, 2012 with the toe dislocating and moving.  Its now December 2013 and I am going in for my 3rd surgery, he may have to sew my toes together to keep them from moving but the spasms are getting worse.  I also had muscle spasms in my arms, hands, back and most of all,  severe constricting spasms with nerve pain in both thighs so bad I would be paralyzed and all I could do is scream.  This would last 5 to 20 minutes and my thigh muscles would be very sore and hurt for days. I was sent to a Physiatrist (doctor of muscles and nerves) and she sent me to an Orthopedic Doctor who specializes in spines.  Went to him in February 2013 and in March had cervical spine surgery as my spinal cord was being crushed.  He fused C4,5,6 and released all the nerves.  This took care of the spasms until last month. The spasms in my hands and arms returned and the feelings of the beginning of a spasm began in my thighs.  Just saw Spine Doc today and he said we needed to give it time as the nerves are still healing.  Could have permanent nerve damage but time will tell.  The spine has nerves coming out of each vertabrae and if they are restricted or being crushed will cause nerve pain and or Muscles spasms sometimes unbearable. Nerves cause muscles spasms!  My spine doctor does not believe the toe spasms are my spine but all the others are.  My Podiatrist says its a mystery and I call him Dr, Hosuse! lol He is the Chief Surgeon in a Hospital located in Boston, a major city.  He also teaches and has Interns and they are all mystified but won't give up,.
I have been reading a lot of these posts.  I am amazed that people are experiencing a lot of the same thing.  I question MS, low potassium, over worked tendons from trying to balance in all the movements we make to planters faciaitis.  I found it interesting about seizures and wondered how many people here have had trama to the brain from an accident.  It could be possible that a part of our brain is sending signals to our extremities and causing these painful twisting, painful, drawing, spasmatic salutes in which ever direction they pull.  It is not fun or funny.  I also wonder how many people have had their leg or arm banded to prevent blood flows during surgeries and then symptoms started.  I also wonder about our foods and the chemicals they put in them that our bodies can't eliminate because it is man made.  I think that there are too many things in us and what we take in that is causing what we all are experiencing.  I have found like so many describe is to do resistant push or pull during these episodes while yet not always able because our tendons and muscles are screaming out in extreme pain.  I really don't know of a cure as you can see I am on here just posting my thoughts after reading so many of your thoughts.  Glad to know that I am not the only one experiencing this.  
As far as my story about quack dr's.  I had one who set up a psych appt and didn't bother to tell me.  I got home from work at 6:30pm to hear the reminder for my appointment.  Come on now.  I called them and told the receptionist that the best thing I could do for my well being is to stay away from Dr.'s.  I am about to go postal and kill every single one of them.  They all think that what you have going on is all in your head!!!  They don't listen and they don't help.  I don't like drugs and I don't like Dr.'s who won't listen to their patients.  They treat everyone like they are all drug addicts who want another pill.  What about the person who does listen to their body, tries to take care of their body.  Who drinks there water and tries to eat the right foods, doesn't drink, smoke or use drugs.  You try to do right and they lump you as a whole nation.  Grrrrr!!!!!  Truthfully they are not God's!!!  Their diagnosis is only an educated guess based on gathered symptoms.  I will say there are really really good Dr.'s out there and I just miss not having one of them.  Mine retired.  :(  I really miss him!!!  
Well, best of luck to all in all that we share and experience.  
well Im glad you added this cause this just happened to me and it freaked me out I came right to the computer my toe next to the big one just turned side ways and started spasms I have knee problems so at first I thought it was from that but after this lasting about 15 to 20 min I decided other wise if you figure out what the deal is please let us all know sure got me worried. Im afraid it might be a type of authorities that older people get and cant control there body  movements my god bless you I know what you mean about not feeling alone it sure freaked me out!!!

Ginnie
I am one of these weird toencontortionists. This usually happens to me in supermarkets near the fridges when I wear sandals. The worst time (and probably funniest) was when my sister and I were once queuing at the checkout when my right foot went into spasm. Seemed like each toe went in a different direction and the pain was excruciating.  I dropped to the floor and sat rubbing my foot, trying to get some movement back and relieve the pain, but then the other foot joined in! I was trying to rub both feet, I was laughing and tearful at the same time and everyone was staring. By this time I'm rubbing one foot and my sister is rubbing the other. (She's seen this all before!) Eventually, it's my turn to be checked out, but all I can do is crawl through the checkout somehow and throw my purse at my sister. Somehow managed to get to my car and sat with both feet on the dashboard, massaging them. It was almost half an hour before I could drive home. My sis is still laughing!
I have the answer to all your spasms! I found this site looking for answers and came across an entry suggesting potassium and/or magnesium. I had not tried that yet. It works for me! I bought Amino-Max (by KAL) as suggested by my herbalist at the herb store, however there are others to choose from. The dosage is 3 a day, but I just take one at night and get a FULL night's sleep with NO interruptions from calves, feet, or the Vulcan Salute! I do not sell this product or any product. Try this if you are serious about ending your spasm nightmare. Let me know how this works for you.
My name is Lyann. I am a 34 year old female. This afternoon I had a similar problem where my toe was straightened out on its own. Prior to this, I felt an electrical shock/spasm in that area. After reading all of the comments above, should I be concerned this is common with those who suffer from MS? I am contemplating going to the doctor's for sure.
I had a neuro diagnose me with hyper excitable peripheral nerve disorder and cramp fasiculation syndrome.  This was in 2009.  Well I've had every lab study known to man, been on numerous seizure meds, numerous mri's of my brain and neck.  Well my neuro told me here awhile back not to come back unless things got worse.  I don't think anybody ever understands the pain.  They refer to it as spasms, Charlie horses.  I tell them it is ten times worse.  I currently doing hylands leg cramp sublinguals, apply heat.  I have tried muscle relaxers.  If anything just make me sleepy.  My EMG was abnormal from head to toe.  When my foot twists sideways I feel like it is going to break.  When it occurs in my knee(most always the left) it is almost unbearable.  Here recently my fingers have started bending in.  Usually if I am doing something.  Never hurts in my hands.  I thought I went to one of the best at Jefferson in Philly.  I feel I have been written off because they don't know.  Everybody has suggested MS.  I am so frustrated.  I just the last week joined a gym.  Starting out very slow.  As doctors keep telling me to exercise.  I've only been twice.  Currently have my toe pull down on right.  Cramping beginning in left knee.  I am glad to hear there are other people with this issue.  At one point it was effecting my trigimenal nerve on left side of face.  I will look into the amino max.   I just want out of this pain.  My fasiculations are really active this evening.  If anyone knows of a doctor up here In the Northeast that knows what this is or how to treat the symptoms I would love to know.  Thanks everybody for sharing.
Hi, Whattess. Did you try Amino-Max by Kal yet?  I never let myself run out. It is a miracle.  I promise you will see a difference and it may even keep ALL muscle spasms away. Mokeymon1
yes, a couple of toes, right foot, will move up and stay there on their own. i have the same type spasms in groin/lower back/tail bone area. terrbily painful/debiliating at tiems.

i have ms and spinal injury/issues.

i get different answers as to why this is depeinding on if i'm at a civilian medical center or governemt med center.

weird huh? at least my arms and leags aren't sticking out in the air like these toes. LOL
Check into this, Hypocalcemia,  Low serum calcium

My hands and feet do this as well. At first I thought it was due to dehydration, but not the case as I increased my water intake and it continues.

I do not have  good calcium intake, probably do a lot better. I am going to try supplements and see if this helps. if not I will ask my doctor to look at my last labs to see what could be the issue.
You are so correct, the dr's want listen and don't care.  they are so quick to prescribe pills.I just want to know why my legs are cramping and why do my legs try to twist on they own..  It is so painful and i want answers.After the leg cramps my legs feel weird and it's not easy to even walk around..
i agree lula
I have come here today because all night, and now as I am typing this, my big toe is twitching and I know the cause of it. Several years ago I noticed that if i push my big toe forward, it would lock into place and slowly release causing a temporary twitching motion while releasing. I found this most amusing so would often deliberately do this. I stopped doing it about 18 Months ago and now at random times this same toe will start twitching of it own accord without me locking it forward first. So, the cause of my toe twitch is scrunching/pushing it forward and probably damaging the nerve over a period of time. Just a warning to anyone else who has discovered this same toe lock oddity not to do it because it can, and in my case it has, leave you with long term annoying twitching.
It just happened to me right now. I'm scared. I'm very scared.

You may not realise but you've posted at the bottom of a very old thread (09) and in the MS community.

You don't actually say exactly what it is you are currently experiencing and there is no way of working it out, because there are various spasms, foot cramping, toe weirdness, spasticity etc experiences mentioned throughout this thread......

You may simply be experiencing a foot cramp, painful but not something to be frightened about, if you are very young please let your parent know and if your an adult i'd suggest you look into your diet and fitness levels and if it continues to be a problem, mention it to your doctor at your next check up.

Cheers.........JJ  
That sounds just like RLS. Restless leg syndrome.
Hi there and welcome,

I am not sure if you are aware but you have posted on the end of a very old post which was originally created back in 2009....

Your advice to 'adnilorotrot' was something that was written over 3 years ago and there hasn't been any recent activity but even so I thought i should mention to you that Restless Leg Syndrome would not actually be at all consistent with what adnilorotrot explained as  being organic....

"My right arm curls up (after a very painful feeling down my arm) and i can't control it.  It hurts very badly.  Also, from time to time one of my feet will begin to have great pain, and then the toes all separate sideways, and my foot twists to a weird angle.  An EEG revealed that I have some activity in my left temple that suggest a brain injury.  

They have put me on anti-seizure medication that stopped the arm fromcurling up, but I consistently have the pain/electric-type sensation that usually precedes the weird movements.  I have wondered about carpel tunnel syndrome, or something else....  My neuro says it is seizures....  any thoughts?"

The basic explanation of RSL is..........."People with restless legs syndrome have uncomfortable sensations in their legs (and sometimes arms or other parts of the body) and an irresistible urge to move their legs to relieve the sensations.

The condition causes an uncomfortable, "itchy," "pins and needles," or "creepy crawly" feeling in the legs. The sensations are usually worse at rest, especially when lying or sitting." http://www.webmd.com/brain/restless-legs-syndrome/restless-legs-syndrome-rls

Cheers.........JJ
I agree... I've been having exceptional calf and foot/toe cramps for so many years- and seem to have slightly become more prevalent as I have aged (42 now). I've had Dr's and wanna-be Dr's say, potassium, dehydration, blah blah blah- usual suspects as if I didn't know those things. I've been tested and all those nutrients are where they are supposed to be. Qty of exercise is not relevant- as I just completed a full marathon this past Dec. Now, if my hydration, sodium/calcium/magnesium/zinc/ Vit D levels weren't just right, excessive exercise would SURELY make for a TERRIBLE day/night following those long training sessions.
The one thing that truly worked was Leg Cramp pills (qith Quinine) but they have removed the quinine now and they don't work nearly as well, but also give me TERRIBLE tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
I am really at my wits end trying to speak about it to Dr's as they just don't take the time to truly listen to you past "leg cramps"- immediately it's- just drink more water/hydrate and take potassium supplements. I, like you, have done ALL those things- we aren't stupid... where the hell is a REAL Dr House (of course he would just make fun of us until we're dying and then would get interested). I have looked into FM and MS... I really don't think that's the case. I also don't think a TBI is the issue, while I have been to Afg and got blown up- I was ok- plus, this started really when I was a teenager.
I think I'll research what one person said "hyper excitable peripheral nerve disorder and cramp fasiculation syndrome"
I will say this, between exercising, wearing runner's calf sleeves/compression socks, the leg cramp pills and taking "sport legs", I had a very marked reduction in frequency and severity (until my mileage increases beyond 8-10mi/day) but I can never fully stop them. Now I run every other day about 5k-10k and practice martial arts for 2 nights (off days) for 2-3 hours, so, I'm still pretty active.
Still tho, even w/o cramps- I can EASILY put myself into a cramp at will, and when I watch my calf, that thing is moving and twitching NON-STOP.
I have asked family members and no one else seems to suffer from excessive cramping issues. I had to stop scuba diving because it causes intense cramps while kicking with fins. I LOVE being active and just want a way to mitigate these issues.
btw, I've got to stop now because I have to massage a cramp out of the arch of my foot. :-(
Best of luck to us ALL,
Steven W
For about the past year, this has been happening!!   Most often when i am lying down with legs elevated. I start to feel a tightness in thr ball of my foot, beneath my toes, then the dance begins.  Big toe separates itself, then remains tight.  Next is usually the second one from little toe, stretching straight out painfully and bobbing up and down.  Then the one next to big toe starts.  Its like a dance and funny to watch yet very uncomfortable. Have to gat up and walk it off.  I should video it!!!  Dr. Just look at you and shrug!!!  
I too have this and it is in both feet where my fourth toe takes on a downward pulling position and also spreads outwards.  I also get this in my hands where my small finger gets pulled down to the palm, almost like the tendon or ligament has been pulled very tightly...I found your question whilst looking for answers myself.  I can be sitting relaxed or exercising when this happens.  I also get leg calf cramps.  I do have neck and back problems, so was wondering if anyone else has neck/back pain and could it be connected to the spine...Lornaelizabeth x
Hmmm... Just another missing piece to this MS puzzle that now fits. I had this happen, not often but I can remember it happening once or twice in my childhood. Thought it was charlie horse.

Recently its happened  a few times over the last 3 years or so. I thought it was arthritis from me working standing on my feet for years and years not wearing  the right shoes.

My toes, and I can't recall if it was just my left or my right too but I know it was the left toes, they would cramp in a locked position and it would be painful but if I put my foot flat on the floor and put weight on it, it would stop. I thought it was a Charlie horse. It happened a couple of years ago when I was cutting hair, left hand middle finger just locked, very painful but a after a minute it let up. It happened twice during that time. I thought it was how I was putting too much pressure on it by the way i was holding the comb. I thought it was just wear and tear from doing the job for over 20 years.

Now I know its the MS. The last 2 weeks I can feel that middle finger feeling like it might lock. That feeling has let up a bit in the last few days but its still feeling like it.
Another similar weird symptom was when doing the Atkins like ketogenic diet I had been on for a few years, I tried this ridiculous "carb note" diet where you deplete all your carb stores for 10 days and then on the evening of the 10th day you had a carb note where you would binge on simple carbs and high sugar candy/ junk to get a insulin spike and then you go back to keto the next day. Well the blood sugar spike would give me the worse spasms in my shins and my feet would cramp in a upward position. It didn't last but it happened ever time I was carb depleted and the ate sugar. That was right before I had that flare last year and it happened right before the one this year that began this nightmare. It also was happening on a much lesser degree in the early days if this flare that has just evolved and is not ending.

So me thinks the high blood sugar spike was a trigger to a phsudo flare... Or maybe even it trigger the actual flares. I think cutting out sugar is a good idea as far as MS goes.
I have something similar going on as well. My 3 last toes on my right foot will become very tight and pull off to the right. It is painful when it happens. I wanted to upload a picture to show exactly what happens but can't. It has been happening on and off for the last year or so. It will happen for a few days and go away, sometimes for months. It's back now and has been quite frequent in the past 2 weeks. It's like the whole right side if the foot gets tight while those toes veer outward. I have referred to it as frozen toes. Eventually it will let up on its own.
Well now....... At least I know I'm not alone in this fun house of toe spasms :-)

I never mentioned it previously but I have the same issue. Very annoying when it occurs and no remedy but to let the action have its way until it decides to cease.

Informed my neurologist about this and she viewed me as if I had two heads or that it was not relevant to my symptoms.  

It truly is an odd and sometimes painful experience to see your toes react in this way. In my experience it seems to do better if I apply pressure but not always.

It's been happening more often in the last three months. Thx for sharing your experience as it provides me a sense of non craziness about the toe spasm issue I endure.

Ox
SC
I have expressed similar movements to my Dr. but it happens in my fingers. It's like they have a world of thier own. They move in multiple directions at the same time. It dosen't hurt, it just occures at will. I believe my Dr. thing I'm a little out there because he says it nothing he's heard of before. I've had ms for 30 years.
Indeed yes..... Isn't it the strangest phenomenon? When my middle toes tighten up and move on their own I can't help but to watch and almost laugh at their own will to move beyond my control  :-)

When the tightening happens ...it actually hurts but I've learned to let them have their temper tantrums and move on :)

Oh boy oh boy!!!!
I have the same problem but thought it was a cramp in the arch of my foot that spread my toes apart. I found relief with a simple free solution.

Muscles are more likely to cramp when they are cold. Try wearing warm socks to keep your feet warm. Does it work for you? It works most the time for me unless my feet are still cold in my socks.
Thank you all for sharing your experience
I also feel same spasm in my right feet toes 4th and 5th .... They move towards extreme right and slightly upwards  automatically ...
After pain starts.

I have gone through all your posts ... Searched ... And experienced also...

May be this could be useful for someone...

My experience.
1. When my feets are up in air/ sleeping ... i.e.  when having less blood supply at my feet .... I start feeling some pain .... That become alarm for me ..... I stand up immediately .... So the pain subsides and do not increase.

I mean to say study your bodies posture/position which invites spasm .... And avoid that posture/ spasm ...(for me if I will sleep on my stomach and fold my knee to keep my feet up in air .... Within 5 mins a will have toe spasm)
    Try may be useful

2. One thing is clear that we all do have neuropathic problem ... Our neurons are misbehaving .... But where doctors even unable to answer

3.I know that potassium and sodium are essencial component of neurons ...

As suggested by many members here banana will be very helpful because banana contains potassium

Sodium is our daily eating salt which is very abundant in our daily diet.

Coconut water also contains potassium

Daily dose of potassium per day is 40 milieuuivalent max

Try out some potassium chloride supplement(it may cause hyperkalamia also ) so don't take for long period

4. For more details about this condition .... Search for neuron working/damage/cure .... Your view will get cleared

5. This is the best page where I can read the experience of ppls facing exactly same situation like me ...

Thanks for all information you all given

Am not alone
as far as I know I do not have MS. I have been to a foot Dr who referred me to a neurosurgeon who referred me to a Neurologist who said L5 was bad in my lower spine and referred me Back to a neurosurgeon. My regular MD doesn't know.  I have had four knee surgeries, four ankle surgeries, and two back surgeries. I was wondering if all these surgeries as well as many breaks may have damaged the nerves causing the toe "erections" and spasms. I have EDS. ( ehlos Danlos Syndrome. Sp? ) it's a collagen disorder. Wonder if there is a connection. I am 69 yrs old and have had EDS all my life ( it's heredity) but the Spasms are only a year or so. Am very tired of it all.
I'd LOVE to video tape it and show it to my neurologist...but I'm in so much pain when the spasms happen, I doubt I could hold a camera!  My latest foot spasms start with the toes, then my foot bends in half.  One of these times I expect the bones in my arch will break!  All the neurologist says is that I have nerve degeneration, a narrowing of the spinal column, a bulging disc...none of which tells me what to do.   Used to be I'd get these for 2-3 weeks at a time, then go months without anything.  Now the incidences last longer, without much of a break in between.  Too bad doctors aren't more curious, like they used to be.  They used to LIKE a challenge.  Now they just want to pigeon-hole everyone, to avoid extra work.
I have the exact same thing happen to me. Sometimes I wake up screaming because of the pain in my calf and when I stand up, it goes away after a few seconds.
Sorry I don'tt have the answer for this question but I have that problem too. However it usally one of the middle toes and happen throughout the day mosly when relaxing with my legs crossed. The toe only raise upward not to the side. It feel like it about to be a cramp or like you said a spasum. Sometimes it happens even when i'm walking. I usually jump up out the bed before it locks in and push it down and hold it down until it go back to normal within about 10 seconds. It feels very painful as it trying to happen but I never allowed it to catch all the way before pressing it down. If the spasms comes all the way in it could be devastating pain. I have never been to a doctor for it but I have had this problem for about 2 years now and it continues to get worse. It happens a lot when laying in bed on my stomach and toes are pointed down toward to the bed. Now that I know there are more of you out there with this same problem, I will go and get it checked out. Because it consistently happens I looked on the internet to see if anyone else was having this problem and found you guys. Thank you for posting. Singed TeeDee
Your entire message was as if I had wrote it. I too jump out of bed when I feel it coming on and it is painful. I tell myself to think of it as jumping into a pool. Just do it quick and get it over with. I was wondering  if I was just really letting myself go and falling apart or eating to much salt. Glad to know others are experiencing the same issues. Hopefully someone reading these comments will have an answer. Thanks everyone
TeeDee,
  A doctor could give you a muscle relaxer. You do not necessarily have to know why it happens if you do not want to. They can still treat it. You might ask the doctor to do a neurological exam. That is reflexes and such. If that is abnormal they may send you to a neurologist.  Mine happen if I stand in place too much in a day.

Alex
this happens to me to

i'm only 21 and my middle toes will turns sideways and pull away from the other toes and it HURTS

it doesn't happen often but when it does, moving it even slightly will cause it to happen again
Yes been there done that! Exactly as you put it too, any fondling or attempt to massage the fingers in question after its subsided triggers it again....and yea it hurts. Might be an underlining spinal problem, if you guys also have some form of spinal or back bone issue in general, as I do, then that might be a common theme. Also, I've noticed this happens almost as soon as I raise my leg up more than a particular height for a few seconds, or twist it weirdly, got me thinking maybe the heart isn't pumping blood at adequate pressure down there or maybe a clogged main artery or vein. Do you guys ever feel feet/arm numbness after a few crosses of the leg or sitting tightly? I'm guessing a nervous system (esp spinal) culprit and possibly cardiovascular too.
I was diagnosed with MS a few years ago. My right big toe flares out to the left while lying flat or sitting in a recliner with feet up. Pain is about 7 on a scale of 1-10 for no more than 5 minutes and than the toe returns to the normal position. This happens at least a few times a week.
I have been suffering with this same exact thing for over 5 years now and is getting worse and worse , I can not wear closed in shoes or sneakers , I am on tons of medication just for muscle pain and can not walk without them , I often have panic attacks fearing to get an attack and have to call an ambulance because I get stuck In one place and can't move , I'm really wondering if you have ever found the cause because I have been to tons of doctors and they are all stumped , please let me know ty
I get exactly the same symptoms, but I have found something very simple that relieves my pain altogether--wearing a copper bracelet with magnets. If I take the bracelet off for a length of time, the foot contortions return. So now I wear it 24/7 and no pain, no twisting!!!
I too have this problem for long. And boy, it hurts.I have quit smoking in the last 2 years and the frequency has gone down by a great deal (thank god) but it still occurs occasionally. The other thing I have noticed is that it happens when I am under mental stress over something.

I know my dad has this too. What amazes me is that this been so common (just look at the history of this thread itself) but doctors fail to recognize it. Surprisingly there does not seem to be a medical name for this at the least. Did medical world disown this problem?
Apparently this is a bit more common than I originally thought. I too have the very same issues with my toes. I have taken photos and videos just to show a multitude of physicians who all seem to be mystified.  

Here is what helps me.  I now own about 6 heating pads.  I read on a MS thread a few years back about this, and it actually helps TREMENDOUSLY!!!  

I sleep with a heating back on my calfs and feet (usually on high heat), all night long.  Without this, I would get ZERO sleep. ZERO (regardless of what sleeping pills I would be on).  This, unfortunately,  is an issue every night of my life now.  It started in my 20s and I can confidently say, the heating pad thing works.  You do have to find a heating pad that gives the option to keep it on all night long, otherwise as soon as you hit the 2 hour marker where it shuts off, your cramps turn back on (or at least for me they did).  

I travel, therefore I keep a heating pad with me at all times. I have a heating pad in every room of our house and on two ends of our couch. That should tell you how much this helps. I got to a point where I couldn't even watch TV without it.

Hopefully that will help some of you.

Happy new year and good luck!
The foot/toe spasms happens to me, too. Thankfully, it's calmed down a lot since my last relapse. It feels like a very severe cramp and it hurts like hell. But unlike 'normal' cramps, if I try to move my foot to work the cramp out, it gets worse. The best way I've found to ride them out is to be very still and just wait...
I used to get the same thing, but once I started taking B12 supplements (one in the morning, one at night, both under the tongue) it stopped. If I miss my B12 for a week, it starts again. Hope that helps!