Multiple Sclerosis Community
Doctors say they don't know....

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Doctors say they don't know....

Ok im new here but I guess I'm looking for feed back. I know your not doctors but I'm sure some of you can still relate to what I have been going through. First off, I'm female age 32 height 5'8" weight 120. Not sure if any of that is relevant but hey it can't hurt lol. In January 2010 I started experiencing stroke like symptoms. My face would go completely numb and most of the time my right arm would too. I mean like parallyzed I have no control cannot talk or even form words I can't even write or text. Only would last around 2-5 minutes. Went to ER and they wouldn't really tell me anything for hours but was admitted for a week. Forgive me if I bounce around in my timeline as my memory is really bad. In 2008 I had what my friend thought was a seizure and was hospitalized then. They said I had infarcts in my brain in the right temporal area. Then let me go home. No follow up plan no nothing. Ok back to 2010, they said they think I was having numerous mini strokes that they chalked up to my birth control which I no longer take now. More often then not I get extremely lighted headed when standing. The numbness in my face and arm rarely happen but once in awhile still. I have long hair and when I brush it my arms are burning half way through as if I just did the most insane workout, that kind of fatigue. Weakness, memory loss, don't always understand things I know I used to. VERY FRUSTRATING!!! They have done MRI CT-scans bloodwork everything EEG EKG they say my scans show signs of strokes sometimes and other times it's normal. I know I'm leaving out things but can't remember what right now. I'm really concerned and scared cause I just found out I'm 7 weeks pregnant. I'm waiting for my application to be approved for medi-cal so I can see a doctor but anyone have any advice or suggestions maybe ideas of what you it might be? Hell even if you just understand it would be nice to be able to talk to someone about all this. I don't really have anyone I can talk to. Seriously I can't even talk to my boyfriend cause he would rather act like its nothing. So please anyone? I just need a friend....
~Kryssy
Birth control pills is a listed cause of Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS). This condition is also called Hughes Syndrome and Sticky Blood Syndrome.  APS is an autoimmune disease and while there is no cure, the main treatment is anticoagulant medication to stop the blood clotting too easily.

There are three antiphospholipid antibodies:

Lupus anticoagulant
Anticardiolipin antibodies
Anti-β glycoprotein I antibodies

Without treatment, symptoms and complications, include:

Migraine headaches
Mottled skin tone (livedo reticularis)
Low blood platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
Vein thrombosis
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Arterial thrombosis
Heart attack
Stroke
Catastrophic antiphospholipid syndrome

Complications can include:
Miscarriage
Fetal death
Premature labour

If you have not tested for this autoimmune disease please do so ASAP.
Thank you i will look into it.
Congratulations and good luck on your pregnancy. I empathize with your situation having my first major MS symptom when I was 10 weeks pregnant. The right side of my face goes numb sometimes and I used to chalk it up to allergies. The good thing is that you are listening to your body and are trying to find out what is wrong. From the things I have seen here in the short time I've been visiting, I've discovered that the diagnosis process can be lengthy and the people are remarkable. Please feel free to message me if you need someone to vent too. I went thru the similar situation because I was pregnant and everyone was in denial but me.
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Cubbiesfan
Thx for the support! :-) ill will definately message you sooner rather than later!
Welcome to the forum! Glad you found your way here but sorry that there was a need to. :-(.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! As for your symptoms and history, it sounds difficult to sort out. But as Red_Star pointed out, you should be tested for APS, even the birth control pills can do the same thing.

Cubbiesfan is correct in that the diagnosis process can be lengthy, so patience is something you need to try and remember. When you get frustrated with the process, come here and vent! Most of us have experienced the long drawn out process and can relate.

I wish you good luck with your pregnancy and on your journey to a diagnosis. please feel free to return with any questions you may have!

Ren
I am adding you as a friend so you will have the ability to message. I hope you guys are having a Happy Father's Day!