Multiple Sclerosis Community
Does MS cause any kind of skin problems?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Does anyone have severe skin problems that has MS?  I am undergoing test and that is a possible diagnosis for me so I am wondering if these Strange small scabs on my back could be related.  
Hi Aleyce,
I'm thinking it is unrelated to your MS, but everytime I say that about a sx I find out  I'm wrong :-)

It seems like anything is possible with MS  - any else have this type of experience?

Lulu
not related to ms but can be caused by other auto immune such as lupus. I hav that prob but just a few on the face
I have discoid lupus, it just affects my scalp, I get very itchy patches, I don't think they start out as scabe but they end up like that by the time I have finished scratching them! I was diagnosed with it about the same time as I got my MS diagnoses.

No link that I know of.

Mand
I am dx with MS I get these almost look like pimples that form a little whitehead just on my upper legs they do itch then they break open just like a pimple and then go away. I get a few new ones every day I always thought it was an affect of the copaxone inj. but I am Not sure I will ask the doctor when I see him in Aug. What does your rash look like?

hope this helps

Lynn
about 14 years ago i got this scaly rash like bumps on my left foot  i was careing my first baby then and it itches then peels off by me scratching it i just thought it was well i dont know what it is but it realy itches right befor i have a relaps with my MS but i dont know if the 2 are connected  never gave it much thought till now when i read ur post lol glad im not the only one with things like this and no answers to as why its there i also have one spot on my uper iner left thigh  so who knows if its MS related or not the dr dosent even know what it is lol hope this helps  
Well am not saying anyone has lupus but if you do hav both then the 2 do tend to exsacerbate either together or one after the other like in my case.
hi i have psoriasis quite bad and have just been diagnosed with ms
Thank you all for your input.....they are strange scabs that come and go.....my doctors cannot seem to figure it out.  Drives me crazy....they are only painful when they are new.  I go for my MRI on Monday so we will see what they say next....I am so frusterated...they originally thought it was lupus...now being tested for MS....again, thank you.
well unfortunatly, autoimmunes are notoriously had to diagnose sometimes. Negative tests don't mean you don't have them you see. So bear patients as time will ultimately expose them...
Thanks, I am trying to be patient, not that I have a choice.  I have so many signs of MS...but I am hoping the MRI will tell me somthing atleast.  Thanks for your advice.
Did they do a biopsy to test for discoid lupus? I was back and forth to the doctor for years with my problem, it was only when I saw a different doc that I got tested.

Mand
I just went to the dermatologist and was diagnosed with an ms flare that manifested as cysts on my face, arms back, etc.  They itch and hurt.  I received a cortisone shot and will be getting other cream for eczema.
I have psoriasis. And unless you know its lupus, it really sounds like psoriasis . There are 3 types, plaque, pustular and guttate(spelling?). When you have psoriasis you can have one type or all three. I get all three so I am very familiar with them.

Plaque is when you build up layers of dead skin cells because your body is making them so fast. It is very itchy and if you itch will cause scabbing.

Pustular is when you get tiny pimple like bumps that itch and hurt until they pop, which aleyce sounds like you issue.

Guttate is when you get a scaly, red/purple patch that will itch and it peels off almost like sunburned skin, mellisabarnett this sounds like you.

You guys might want to talk to a derm. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease. I have been living with it since I was 7 so 30 something years =P. There is no cure, and ironically one of the best treatments is the sun, during the hottest time of the day..which ms'ers and those with lupus both try to avoid!

Good luck and I'm really curious what you find out!
Take care
Amy
I found it interesting to hear from the people on this post who have both MS and Lupus. I was DX with MS in February, but one of my blood tests had a high ANA level (followed by a blood test with a lower one) and I also have a reoccurring butterfly rash on my face, so they are kind of "Keeping an eye on it" I guess.
The palms of my hands are sore, dry and they will split open sometimes.

When I saw my derm.I forgot to ask him....FORGET is my middle name now ..

Sometimes I wonder if I have more than one, these diseases are ,,,I can't find a word ....

back to my closet...

meg
I am also waiting to find out what's wrong with me. Possibly MS, I started having problems with little pimple like things on my face around nose and mouth. Started getting them around the same time I started having symptoms. Dermatologist doesn't know if they are related, but is giving me orecea prescription.
hey ive never posted on any site before.. so i hope i do this right.. but, i just had to post to your comment.. my story is very similar to yours....

my name is cynthia.. and i am now 31yrs old.. i am a female whom has m.s. and i also have a positive ana result.for about ten years. i was also told i had a rash on my face.. i cant see it very well but the doctors can see it and seem to think i may have lupus also... i also wanted to post because just recently ive been getting cysts or abcess (abscess) on my face.. and i wanted to know if its due to a ms attack.. i was very intreged to find out that some other people on this site have had the same problems as i.. I also have fibromyalgia and degeritive joint diease and arthritis in every joint.. and also i get severe swelling in both of my leggs so bad that i have little brown spots all over my legs and feet due to the severe swelling... although most doctors are puzzled to my brown spots all over lol..  i am currently on betaseron for m.s... and i mixture of everyting else for the chronic pain...

just though id post ...

-cynthia -the m.s. patient