Multiple Sclerosis Community
Driving from Connecticut to Florida

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Driving from Connecticut to Florida

Hey Everyone,
I am going to be driving from CT to Florida on Tuesday morning.  Although I will be following my sister the whole way, I was wondering if you all hand any tips or advice for long.

Thanks,
Kerri
My #1 tip - take breaks and take them often.  Be sure to stop every two hours or so and get out and stretch your legs and waken your mind. It can be land mentally numbing to spend hours behind the wheel.

Enjoy the trip - safe travels!
Lulu
Will you have all the kids in the car? That's a  l o n g  drive. Sometimes following another car can be really nerve-wracking. Keep in touch with your sister constantly by cell, and let her know when you need to stop. Make that often.

Even people without illnesses get stiff after hours in the car, so be proactive about stretching, and so on.

Wave to me when you get to Maryland!

ess
Long drive.  Hope you have A/C and Cruise Control.  Both are my best friends.  Cruise control will allow you to move your right foot and stretch it out.   It prevents me from setting off action tremors on a long trip.

With my vision and on issues,  good sunglasses and a pair of wrap-around sunglasses are a good thing.  For some reason, just after dawn and just before dusk raise heck with my vision.  Low sun angles and lots of red/orange make for some rough driving.  The orange wrap-around sunglasses filter more of the reds/oranges out and let more of the green (carries the most video information) through.

Stay hydrated helps (and makes sure you stop every couple of hours.)

Bob
I took a trip from Texas to New Mexico not that long ago.  Here's some suggestions:

1) Make sure you have our phone charger cord for your car in case of emergencies
2) Have good sunglasses to block out the glare.  Glare can cause headaches.
3) Bring a ice chest with cold drinks and snacks
4) Break up the trip.  Try not drive the whole distance if you can all at once.
5) Don't forget your pain medicine, headache medicine, etc.  Have headache medicine out where you can reach it and take it
6) Rent an umbrella.  It's worth the money and reserves your spot on the beach.
7) Getting a sunburn will be super bad for you.  The extra heat could cause a pseudo-relapse.  Wear sunscreen.
8)  Get a GPS if you don't have one.  It'll give you names of doctors/hospitals in case you get sick.
9) It's probably a lot warmer in Florida.  Make sure you go swimming every day and stay cool!
10) Get lots of sleep before you leave.
11) Make sure your luggage rolls and it's not too heavy for you to lift.
12) Bring CDs you like to sing to to prevent sleepiness.
Thanks guys,
Ess, I will Hqve three boys and my sister will Hqve the three girls.
I have an iPad so I will let the four year old watch movies on it.
My sister stops every hour or two for breaks.

Bob, I don't have on issues so that should helpl. I'll be sure to wear my sunglasses and yes, cruise control is definitely my friend.
The tremors was the one thing i was a little concerned about but it is such a straight away drive I am not too worried about them.  The neurontin I take qt night helps a lot.
We are going to leave when already light out and stop half way overnight.

Deb,
I already got all my CDs out and in a holder.  I will have plenty of water and snacks.  I am not prone to headaches but will definitely Hqve meds ready just in case.
My sister lives in Florida so I I'll be in the pool every day.  I don't plan on spending much time out of ac.

And...my husband is flying out to meet me so he can drive us back next week.

Thanks so much for the tips.  I knew I would get good advice.
Thanks to you lulu also.  I will definitely make sure I stretch.
I really have a hard time with more than two hours of driving.  I get fatigued and loopy, and start making mistakes.  So be careful!  Don't be afraid to take a break.