Multiple Sclerosis Community
Dropped my auto-injector in the toilet!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Dropped my auto-injector in the toilet!

So, I was injecting my hip, and I find the easiest way for me, is to sit on the toilet and shoot. Well, I pushed the button, and my hand slipped and there is went...

So, I called shared solutions, embarrassed, they told me to not use it and throw it out. (By the way, they said they heard this MANY times), I don't know if they were trying to make me feel better, or whether that was the truth. Feel like an idiot, I will now sit on the toilet with the seat down for future reference!

So, my predicament, is that I don't think I can do this myself unless it is my stomach or thighs. They said it would take about a week to get a new injector. Think it is ok to just do my stomach in different locations this week?? Of course, I asked them, they said no, but am curious how the real world does it.

Thanks!

Michelle
What a picture, Michelle.  Can't you wash this thing out and let it dry  over the next day and use it until the new one comes?

The autoinjector does not come in contact with your skin except on the very end which can easily be cleaned.  The drugs which go in your body never come in direct contact with the autoinjector.

That, my friend, would be my real world solution.  

I have never done an injection without this great little gizmo, and I'm not sure I could do it.

As for rotating sites without the autoinjector, I would use the left side and right side of my stomach as two different places and then the thighs.  That gives you four spots to use in the rotation.  I can't imagine you would do any serious harm by using them using this sytem until your replacement comes.....

as always,
Lulu
Are you two on Betaseron?  I do not use the auto injector.  It scares me!

I rotate my stomach and legs.  All of my sites get sore and I have whopping big read areas.  

Some as large as a soft ball!!

The nurse is coming out to make sure I am injecting correctly.  I know I am.  I can read instructions and I do understand the chart.  Oh well.

Funny how they can not accept their medications leave marks and reactions!!

LA  dx'd
nope - this is Copaxone we are on and it is taken daily.  

We are supposed to rotate seven different sites ....  the autoinjector really helps to reach the hips and the arms.  

L
Hey Michelle,

I would not use the dropped injector and use your stomach and thighs, rotating sites. When SS sent my replacement that broke, I had it in 3 days so with the holiday it might be 5-7 days. I just rotated sites from stomach to thigh and back again and then made sure I rotated properly thereafter.

Ren