Multiple Sclerosis Community
Drug Interactions with our MS meds?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Drug Interactions with our MS meds?

Hi everyone. I may be the only weirdo that pays attention to this stuff. Anyway, I'm NEVER sick; I might get a cold every 2-3 yrs. Well, now I'm starting to get a cold and I'm not for sure how bad it's going to get. I always go to drugs. com to check out drug interactions.

It looks like Baclofen, Amantadine, & Ampyra have moderate interactions with a lot of cold medicines (reduced respiration, and weird neuro symptoms, etc). Does anyone ever pay attention to any of these things?  Or does everyone pretty much still take cold medicines and not really worry about the interactions?  Just wondering....because I'd really like to take some cold medicines, esp. while I'm at work and at night. However, I'm not willing to have a bad reaction I guess from it.

Thanks!
Kelly
Hi Kelly i am on rebif. since starting rebif i dont take any cold medecine. the only thing i take is extra vitamin c if i were to get a cold. i stay away from products containing ginseng because they over stimulate the immune system. the only thing i will take if my nose is running is an allergy pill.
If it's a head cold you're getting, a neti pot/nasal irrigation is a great drug-free way to keep your sinus cavity clear.  Be sure to use the sealed salt packets that come with the neti pot and purified water.  When I have a bad cold I find I have to repeat the process every couple of hours as the sinus cavity can fill up rather quickly.

I'd ask the pharmacist for advice on possible drug  interactions, as I find they're often more knowledegable than physicians on this subject.
ps: I'd also up your Vitamin D3 intake to support your immune system, unless you are already on a high dose.
Yes, I do. I review the interactions of taking Zanaflex. I was surprised of what I couldn't take that I have been - cipro to name one. I haven't been able to take OTC medicines for 12 years. I react by becoming abnormally sedated.

This may be TMI but I also have pretty severe allergies I don't treat so when I get a cold, I can barely breath out of my nose and any swallowing or talking causes a funny clicking/suction noise. lol ~

After having recurrent sinus infections, I finally started treating myself with nasal sprays. They can be addicting so to avoid that, I only take them when my sinuses are so swollen they hurt or I can't breath. I take 2 to 3 ibuprophens to make myself a bit more comfortable with the headache, body aches, etc.

I believe this way, you don't need to worry about drug reactions. I hear the neti pot is another great way but be sure to follow the instructions, it can be dangerous if you don't.

I hope you feel better.
I've been getting coldbusters at Jamba Juice. It has a lot of vitamins in it - like Vitamin C and Zinc. Ibuprofen is also a good idea - I never thought about taking it for a cold.  

D3 I can add more - right now I'm at about 3000iu a day.  I googled images of the neti pot (at first when I was quickly reading your post, I thought you were saying you smoke pot when you get sick with a cold. I had to go back and re-read it - LOL).  ;-)
Thanks for the suggestion, but in the pics, the neti pot looks like I would drown. haha, I think I would be too afraid to try it.

Thanks again,
Kelly  
Here's a good demo on youtube. I would boil the water first or use bottled H2O  rather than using straight from the tap as shown in this demo.  It feels good, honestly!  The gunk that's plugging you up just drains right out.  Gross, but then you can breathe!  It is easy to do, I just had to turn my head slightly down towards the sink so as not to swallow the solution.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9i6x6uGm2k

I don't think smoking pot would help a cold, though it may make you not care about it for a while.  :)
Thanks for posting the link to the video. I just watched it. I guess it doesn't look too bad, afterall.  At least it's something to keep in mind if I get to that point.  I'm surprised that I've never heard of it before now.