Multiple Sclerosis Community
EEG and MS a relationship between

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

EEG and MS a relationship between

At my appt on Tuesday I was ordered an EEG and another neuro-psych eval for comparison.   I have always thought of the EEG as a tool used to determine/measure seizure activity.  I was curious why an EEG would be ordered.  I believe Pastor Dan on a previous post has said he to had received an order for an EEG.

I did some searching and here is an article I found.  I by no means am convinced my neuros have this much savvy but I can hope :)

Abstract  Cognitive impairment is a frequent complication of multiple sclerosis (MS), generally reflecting subcortical dementia. In order to explore functional cortico-cortical connections in MS, we studied electroencephalogram (EEG) coherence in a group of 21 clinically defined MS patients. Patients also underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and neuropsychological examinations. Compared to unimpaired MS patients, cognitively involved patients had reduced short-distance and long-distance theta and alpha band coherencies. Anteroposterior and interhemispheric coherencies were significantly correlated with MRI lesion load immediately underlying cortex but not were exclusively associated with periventricular lesions. These data support the hypothesis that cognitive impairment in MS is mostly related to demyelination or axonal loss of cortico-cortical connections. In a second study, we evaluated the neurophysiological correlates of frontal lobe dysfunction. Frontal lobes are also involved in motor planning and execution. We evaluated the EEG movement-related potential (MRP) in MS patients with and without frontal neuropsychological deficits. Reaction times to the Stroop test, which evaluates frontal functions, and MRP components were delayed in both MS groups compared to normal subjects and in frontal compared to nonfrontal MS patients. These data suggest that frontal cognitive involvement in MS corresponds to abnormal bioelectrical activity also during simple motor tasks.

(1) Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, MS Centre Scientific Institute Ospedale San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 48, I-20132 Milano, Italy
(2) Department of Neurology, MS Centre Scientific Institute Ospedale San Raffaele, Milano, Italy

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u851438up35uh581/

If medhelp cuts the link just google EEG and MS, however this being an abstract, this is the total content.  There are several more hits I am going to check out but I did find this interesting.
  • EEG reading (1 replies):
    Dear Doctor, I am interested in your opinion re the EEG ...[more]
  • abnormal eeg (15 replies):
    I recently had an eeg because I blacked out. The results...[more]
  • Seizures (5 replies):
    Our daughter who is 18 had her 1st seizure in Aug. She ...[more]
  • Re: EEG results
    Posted By Sadie on November 23, 1998 at 19:49:21: In ...[more]
  • seizures? (3 replies):
    Can your body have seizures with out picking it up on an...[more]
I remember Quix writing that MSers had more abnormal EEGs than others  I've run to get my EEG report to see if any of its "intermittent nonspecific dysfunction" correlates with the article you found.

Hmm, not that article, but now you've got me curious about the other ones.  Thanks, I like a good research project!

I had an EEG to rule out seizures, as my PCP thought I may have had one in Phoenix, when my vision got all jittery for 5-6 minutes, then I was so fatigued that I couldn' sit up straight, slurred my words, could hardly keep my eyes opened.  I had been standing out in 107 degree sunshine waiting to get in the basketball game, so my neuro-ophtha suggested it was a Uthoff's phenomenon kind of thing.

Anyway, I meant to say that they could have ordered it to make sure that none of your symptoms are the result of seizures.

Hugs,

Kathy

Take care,

Kathy
Kathy, I am pretty sure that is why they ordered it.  I can't imagine I could be lucky enough to have a neuro order something because they thought it would help with the dx of MS.  It seems the purpose of most neuros is prove you do not have MS.

I know the resident I saw Tues suspected MS and that is why he went to Dr H with it.

Be well,

terry
I can't believe I wrote two different "farewells" on my last post.  :o}  Cognitive dysfunction?
Hee hee!

I've looked for information about the abnormalities on my EEG until my eyes crossed; only found one that fits my wave pattern, and the symptoms associated don't fit ME.  

Kathy

Don't worry about it.  i didn't realize you had.  :)
Hi there... from what I know about EEG or what I heard... is that they can find different lesions that might effect the brain... Not much info.. but just wanted to add it..

I know someone that got Dx not with MS...but other things with a EEG and found lesions...

take care
wobbly
undx