Multiple Sclerosis Community
ELEVATED HEMOGLOBIN??

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

ELEVATED HEMOGLOBIN??

I just had a doctors appt last week and she did some blood work it came back with an elevated hemoglobin. Normal for a women is 11.0-15.0 mine came back at 16.6 can anyone give me some insight on what this could mean??
Or what I should do to get it back down to normal?? Someone told my to eliminate high iron fruits and vegetables because that could cause a high hemo count is this true??
This might not be a significant elevation at all. Or it might. The best way to find out is to call the doctor who ordered the blood work.

This is also the simplest, the fastest and the most accurate. Why hesitate?

ess
I don't think you have anything to worry about. The normal hemogobin level for females under 50 years of age are 12.0-16.0. Do you smoke? This will elevate the resultes. Do you work out alot? Dehydration will elevate the resultes.

Just a few pointers, good luck and I'm sure it's nothing to get worked up about. :)

Thanks for the pointers, I did speak to the nurse in the office she told me the dr. wanted me to cut out my multi vitamin and because I eat alot of vegtables she wanted me to cut down on the dark greens for a few weeks something about if you eat alot of iron it will raise your hemoglobin, I cannot find any info on this theory. And yes I do smoke she also told me to cut this down which I am trying to do also, she also said to increase water intake which I do drink alot of water everyday at least a 1/2 gallon but she wants that up to a gallon. But anyway thanks again hopefully this will bring it down.

Lynn