Multiple Sclerosis Community
Early Muscle Fatigue Permanent?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Early Muscle Fatigue Permanent?

Does anyone know if early muscle fatigue can be permanent? Ever since my second attack, which lasted from the beginning of October through the end of November, I have not regained muscle strength in my legs. I looked it up and it appears to be early muscle fatigue- I can walk a couple blocks, but then my legs get really shaky and weak and I have to rest. It is much better than during the attack- I was so weak I couldn't walk at all- but it seems to have plateaued. I have two dogs I need I walk, and I really want to be able to get to the gym, but as it stands now, I can barely walk 2 blocks, let alone go up and down stairs unless absolutely necessary. I know there is always a possibility for improvement with MS, but I don't know if there is a possibility it could be permanent.

Thanks!
Meagan
I can really sympathize - I have weak legs on bad days, and on good days, too...  They're doing better since I've been in remission, but not 100%.

I think with any neurological damage, there's a chance of improvement.  The body is constantly healing the damage done from MS.  Problem is, it takes a while.  Maybe a couple of months, maybe a couple of years.

It's tough with a dog, isn't it?  I only have the one, and he almost pulls me off my feet when he sees another dog, or a cat.  I'm not sure what would happen if he did - I'll just have to hold on to the leash and hope I can get back up.  Sometimes when he pulls on the leash, it actually helps me up the hill.  When my legs are weak, I can't walk him at all - I can barely get down the hallway to the bathroom.

Just hang in there - you may have to find somebody who can walk your dogs until you get better.  Don't give up on trying to get to the gym - sometimes I have just enough energy to get on the elliptical trainer and do thirty minutes.  Unfortunately I'm no longer able to run, as my balance is really off, and my right leg has a tendency to drag.
  Hi Meagan,
  I have wondered the same thing for quite some time even before my "Actual Dx"
My legs are not what they used to be. Not even close!  They fatigue SO easily and it's even worse when in a flare.

I did however talk in depth to my Neuro about this and he told me that from my hx and what he sees between visits along w/ his assessments in his office, that what I have lost is lost and that I probably will not get it back since it has not improved any by now.

Now I am in NO way saying that is your situation, but I just wanted to respond to your post because it sounds like me. Have you talked to your Neuro about it?
I pray that you will get some, if not all, of your leg strength back. It can get very discouraging when the legs do not wnat to cooperate!

Take Care,
~Tonya