Multiple Sclerosis Community
Electric Shock sensations

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Viewing 201-221 comments:
I have the same thing. It's keeping me up all night.
MY SON LAST NIGHT WOKE UP DURING HE WAS SLEEPIN CRYING OUT OF CONTROL SAYIN HE FELT SHOCKS/ZAPS ON HIS HEAD.. HE HAS NEVER GOT THEM ZAPS BEFORE HE IS ONLY 4YRS OLD.. IF ANYBODY HAS GONE THROW THIS BEFORE PLZ LET ME KNOW email me .......***@****                    thank you
This shocking sensation scares the crap out of me I also suffer from severe panic attacks which doesn't help matters plus I have spina bifida and pinched nerves so you never know you might want to get your back checked also

Alisa
My shocks started about a week ago in my feet while at work.. My Dr. put me on a rather high dose of meds for high BP. So I cut my does in half then it started again this evening.
Also when I put my legs up to rest I get horrible craps in my feet and pain going up my calf. I'm like wtf how can I rest? I'm scared and just want to cry. I go to see my Dr. on April 23rd and I can't wait.I had one Dr. Tell me once I could have MS because my reflex's were a little slow. But he never did look in to it. I'm worried as all hell. : (
Hi I also have fibro and get these electric shock feelings, I also feel totally drained all the time. Lot of pople think if you look ok then you feel ok, which as you must know is not the case. I get pain, foggy head, ibs, etc just wanted to respond to your comment, take car,
my symptoms feel more like touching an electric fence. it effects my whole body
OMG , I'm  sick of  getting shocked daily!  I won't even bring this issue to my neuro. Because I know he'll say  " oh that's not MS related " yall know I hate to hear that....i'll continue searching for the reason this happens....
Yeah!!!!!!  Quix surfaced!

I get these little annoying zaps and am never ready for them when they occur!
they can go away any time!

my neuro seems to know what they are and acknowledges them thank goodness.  
The best diagnosis I've gotten is Ulnar Neurosis. For tingling in my hands and fingers when I wake up. Today, however, at the base of my wrist, I noticed a periodic electric pulse. I have a brother who has been diagnosed with ALS at the age of about 30 yrs. Symptoms of ALS don't generally hit until you are over 50.
All these things, MS, ALS, Parkinson's, etc seem to have been linked to Mycoplasma infections. I'm not sure how to get tested for Mycoplasma as I think it's difficult to test for. Mycoplasma can get down into your mitochondria membrane and damage it. (In order to parasite off your energy production). Depending on your genes, it can sometimes cause autoimmune issues because it picks up some of your DNA and your immune system maps the wrong stuff to attack.
I'm curious how many of you live in Tic infested areas as mycoplasma infections sometimes are associated with tic bytes. Others are associated with war veterans who have served in Iraq and been exposed to bio toxins. (Genetically engineered mycoplasma by the US Army and sold/given to Iraq during the Iraq/Iran conflict prior to the Gulf War)
There are controversial techniques to try to kill the mycoplasma in our bodies. But how do we keep from getting reinfected? (If that's even what this is???)
I have the tingling in hands, feet and head. I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's Syndrome.  I was tested for MS and it was negative.  I hear a constant low roar in my ears and when the tingling and the roar stop ( for just a few seconds) it shocks my system and begins again.
Do supernatural experiences come along with these zaps?
I bend my neck down a little and the zap goes down both my arms to the tips of my fingers, chiropractor said signs of Lhermittes or m.s..im hoping just pinched nerves or something simple but have a lot of neck, middle and lower back pain too...anyone have any other simple logical causes of this???
I have the shock going on too and it starts in my head and radiates thru my whole body. It is very annoying. I also have neck pain snd my heart feels like it flutters when this happens
I HATE IT!  I could see how someone might go crazy from this disorder (or whatever it is...)  Mine comes at night when I'm laying on my back or if my back is being touched be something. The electric current flows through my arms so strong I bet I could lite a light bulb if I touched it!  Sometimes it helps if I lay on my stomach and tuck my arms under my belly. I tell my family its EXCRUCIATING, but they don't understand - nor can they do anything to help - it's not their fault, just wish someone could help me! It feels like my nerves are hooked up to am electric barbwire fence! I have found that taking Clonidine (a receptor blocker) does help a little. Mine started after I had a Bells Palsy attack in the right side of my face; now I have the shock sensation, daily headaches, and chronic neck pain. I do take an antidepressant which seems to play into the shocks if I miss a dose or something similar... The other thing that I have found that seems to help is when I limit my caffeine intake and take a regular pain management medication; Tramadol, Hydrocodone, etc.
I have had an electric shock sensation many times in the right side of my neck when I turned my head.  I thought that was normal.  I have asked other people if they get that and they said they did. Were they just saying that to be nice, I wonder?  Are the zaps in the side of my neck from MS?  Hmmmm
Hey. could I say that I'm glad that I'm not the only one feeling it? I'm 22, and have had this symptoms since I was 12. Not sure whether it's totally the same but the electric shock that I felt causing me to have head jerking as if I was cold n shivering but in excessive level. Sometimes my hand would jerked together, causing me to clap my hand. I didn't realize it until my friends started to feel weird about it and sometimes feel fearful about it. I don't think my quality of life is affected because of it so I don't really care to find out the cause for it. Moreover, after the jerking and the electric shock passes, it somehow feel relieving.  If I noticed that the electric shock is coming but it doesn't pass through my neck and no jerking whatsoever happening, it feels like you feel like sneazing but it just stuck at your nose and couldn't sneaze. Regardless of that, I'm still hoping that I know what's wrong with me. Not for myself, but to explain it to those who saw me jerking because of that. It annoying that people keep on asking why you do stuffs, eventhough they are completely involuntary and you don't have answer for that.
Had similar problems.  I had two heniated discs in my neck and didn't even know I had them.  I had no neck pain.  But I had a lot of symptoms over all of my body that worsened over a several-year period.  I did have electric shocks in my arms and hands - plus feet and legs as well as all sorts of other symptoms.    My herniated discs were pushing against my spinal cord - and this was what was causing all my symptoms.  Regular neck x-rays did not show any problems, but an MRI showed exactly what was going on and I did require surgery.  The surgery was very successful.  I still have some few symptoms, but am 99% better.  No complaints here.  And, I should add - cervical spine surgery isn't that bad.  I had the sorest throat in the world for a few days and then needed a few pain pills and some muscle relaxants for a while.  I rested my neck and enjoyed my time off work for a month.  My neck ached some and got tired, but I had no real pain following surgery.  
I don't know whether to be relieved or frightened.  I've had these "electric shock sensations" in my head previously, but they were very mild and short-lived.  I experienced one the other night that was severe, and then started shivering violently.  I've since continued to have more "shocks", but they seem to worsen with head movement or moving my eyes.  I have recently been having what I assumed was Restless Leg Syndrome, but it has progressed to include myoclonic jerks when wide awake.  These are becoming more severe.  Also, I've been having memory problems, but I attribute this to the beginning of menopause, lol.  Also, prior to all of this, I have had spells of complete weakness in my arms, especially when lifted over my head, but sometimes while gripping something (such as washing dishes).  One other thing... I had two back-to-back Grand Mal seizures approximately 9 months ago that I assumed were caused by alcohol withdrawal medication I was on.  No history with these either in myself or family.  I didn't have any while in detox, but two days after I had gone home.  Any help here is appreciated.
I got these down my back since I was about 8 years old.  They came infrequently but were strange.  My mom, a nurse didn't react.  Later when I was dx'd with MS I got them but infrequently.  I have the nerve pain/shocks all the time in legs, feet, hands which has become more painful.  The extremity pain started out as spidery like sensations and is now sharp.  I am 27 years on with this disease which I believe began in kidhood.
I has a neck fusion in 2001. I have 4 plates and 8 screws.  About a year ago I started have neck pain, just thought it was like a crick in my neck.  Then about 3 months ago an electrical shock started to develop on the right side my neck and has extended to my left shoulder. These shocks have increased from a few seconds to a few minutes where I can not do anything till they stop. On my right hand there are 3 fingers that continuously tingle and the upper side of my right arm.  My doctor has prescribed all the way from ibuprofen 800mg to Vicodin 10/625mg, but to no real relieve.  I went to a new doctor,  she took an x-ray, but everything looked ok.  She stopped all medication and started me on MS drugs. It seems to calm my other injuries but not this.  I'm at my wits end.  I think I need a ct scan, but even this new doctor is avoiding the symptoms. I'm wondering how long does it take for this to turn into a permanent nerve damage.
I get an electric shooting jolt up my right arm to my temple. I have not been to see the doctor as yet and only just started looking in to this. They seem to come more often when I am exhausted and need to take a break. Does anyone know if they are harmful as the one I had today was very painful
Have a 3 Tesla MRI done with contrast.  Should show something if it is MS.
bring him to the emergency room at a children's hospital - never let a child experience this pain for long.  It will be hard to find the right doc or hopefully you get lucky but I hope you will get him the best diagnostition possible.  

Also, try magnesium supplements - this can help with nerve transmission.  But titrate it with your peditrician's help or a savvy nurse practioner like my sister!
Good luck to you and your son.
I think we as a group should develop the crazy doctor test.  Some of these doctors might be certifiable.  I learned yesterday that a neurologist was trying to interfere with the results of an independent exam done during an acute attack.  I have been sworn to secrecy but I think what goes on behind the scenes needs knowing.  No names but it should be known what was done and it is highly unprofessional and the kind of risky behavior that makes one question the sanity of the doc.  Also this doc held off doing a 3 Tesla exam by MRI for 3 years preferring the very inferior 1.5 Tesla to keep the diagnosis suspect rather than definite and to keep me off medicine that could have prevented this disease from it now progressive phase.  Them apples are not easy to live with but I have heard worse and there is always the torture of dictators to make me feel better in terms of scale!
Lucie, try the magnesium supplements with D3, and Calcium.  The cold can be as debilitating as the heat for some with MS.  Have you had a 3 Tesla MRI or just the 1.5 Tesla?  Ask the doc.  

I wish you the best - this winter is supposed to be like the one before last because of the high snows in Siberia - an indicator for the weather wonks.

Irene
Insist on the 3T MRI - it is the protocol for MS and the contrast by IV is necessary too.  Good Luck and I know it is hard but try to distract yourself with the things you love.  I use flowers, scented candles, music, poetry, talking books, a really good French or Italian movie or a British comedy.  The three stooges are good too - just imagine the actors as doctors.  There are clowns and then there are clowns in the flesh without costume!  I hope you are chuckling.  Any MS society support group helps too.  Just go to share and understand you are never, never alone with this situation!!
Irene
My mom has MS and has told me on several occasions one of the feelings she has is electrical shock in the back of her legs. She says if she bends over like to blow dry her hair, that is when she feels it. So, hers is from her MS. Yours may or may not be related. But, thought I would share.
Some pain has its origins in nutrition or the lack thereof...magnesium may help with leg pain.  Taken in combination with calcium or not.  A pharmacist whose father has MS told me of this in a casual conversation.  Chatting may not be so idle.
I have had a headache for about a week, on today I had a very bad shock like pain above my left eye. it actually almost knocked me off my feet. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, anxiety. I also have ringing in my ears. I just want some relief.
I want to know if you found out what causes this. I to have started this with some kind of volts going thur me but mostly in and around my mouth.
I have had the same problem as you for years. I've found the perfect medication to help aleviate the shocks. I have found that Cymbalta which is a drug for nerve pain is great. My shocks will begin within a few hours if I'm late in taking even one pill. I urge you to give this medication a try, it has worked wonders for me and I cannot imagine life without it.Good luck.
I also get this, and after a bad day as I fall asleep I have the sensation for a few minutes which leaves me having a fit whilst not being able to move. I always try calling out for but fail to speak clearly. Doctors don't seem to know what it is, and this scares me.
For the first time, I am experiencing a shocking sensation at the ball of my left foot.  It lasts about 10 seconds and then it goes away.  I notice it more when I'm driving (with my right foot).  The sensation reminds me of a "muscle stimulator or electronic massager", once when I hooked it up to my feet, but the feeling I have is much more intense like a shocking pain.  Can anyone tell me what causes this pain?  Is it maybe related to my back pain?  I discounted that because my back pain is mainly on the the lower right (not the left side).
i have this same sensation in my heal since yesterday. let me know what it is if you find out!  thanks, terrie
All of your symptoms can be attributed to MS, and the muscle spasms are made more painful by the Fibro, My case is similar to yours. I have only 1 MS lesion on the MRI, so no local Dr. will put on my chart that it's MS until there is more than 1 lesion, hence the name "multiple' sclerosis. Its so very frustrating though, because I'm having so many of the MS symptoms that are worsening over time. Liquid vitamin B complex that you put under your tongue to dissolve into the  blood vessels there has helped a lot, and vitamin D has helped even more. It heals the CNS and vitamin B complex heals nerve endings and helps with various physical problems.Vitamin D is so strongly related to MS that the Northern countries that get less sunshine (vit D source) have the most MS incidence, and when they started getting people to take vitamin D in those countries, MS incidence went down dramatically.The sublingual (under tongue) vit B complex is mostly destroyed  by stomach acid if you take the pills, so the sublingual liquid or pellets are more absorbable. I buy both my B and D at iherb *******, (in case links are deleted here, I hope you can figure out that link the way I wrote it.) That's the cheapest site for vitamins/supplements/natural remedies I've found.
The only sure way to get rid of it all is .........Prayer!!!!! Jesus said, if you ask for anything in my name and Believe it will be done. So why not give him a try? HE healed me from Asthma so he can take these zaps away to.
hello i am morenzo from cameroon. i have some light shocks sensations on my right palms. it happen to me at least twice a day. can someone help me to interprete that to me.
I get that sensation in my feet as well, I describe it as a buzzing sensation.  It doesn't hurt but it is annoying.  I also use it as a meter as to when I need to rest.  I also have had them in random locations that come on suddenly and are very painful but they go away quickly, thankfully.
Hi morenzo,

For your own security, your email address was censored by the comment posting software. It's generally seen as far safer to exchange any personal details with members in the relative safety of the private messaging system available here on MedHelp as anything posted in the forum is publicly viewable by anyone in the world.

Please remember, here on the Multiple Sclerosis board, we're all regular patients, not medical experts in this field.

This is actually a very old post that you probably found through a search engine. It's hard to be found at the bottom of a list of 213 comments, so perhaps you'd like to start a fresh question of your own using the 'post a question' button at the top. You're more likely to have people stopping by to try and help that way.

Are you concerned you may have multiple sclerosis? If you were raised in Cameroon too, this wouldn't be one of the first things to look for due to the proximity to the equator. There does seem to be a link with distance from the equator and prevalence of MS.

What you describe could be so many things, or indeed nothing to be concerned with at all. It would be up to a medical assessment to narrow things down a bit for you. It could be nerve damage, spinal issues, an occupational stress injury. Perhaps begin to keep track of when it happens and what you were doing when this happens and have this list ready when you visit a doctor. But I don't think you will be looking at MS as a likely cause.

I was sick with shocking in my brain and through out my body for 7 years. I was so sick. Then went into remission for 5 years. As of 3 weeks ago I have been back to my entire head, spine, and all over body shocking. Leaving me completely weak and in the worst pain ever. I cant stand to go through this all over again. I feel like I am on fire and they never could figure it out before except that I was filled with mercury poisoning and was detoxed for years through IV. I am not sure why this is back or what is causing it all.  I was tested for MS three times and it was negative. Now I am not sure if I need to be tested again. But this pain has got to stop I have kids and a family to take care of.
Those electric sensations began in my back when I was age 8.  They occurred infrequently.  I thought nothing of them except that they were unique to me as my siblings never had them.  I also threw up a lot in cars due to vertigo.  Later there were other symptoms but nothing that 'floored' me until I was 32.  At which time I was misdiagnosed - aren't we all - and after the misdiagnosed was found to be bogus, I was labeled as hysterical, depressed and any psychiatric label that would stick to prevent any lawsuit for malpractice.  The Harvard Group and associates always protect their own!  For many years, I was held hostage to the wait and see if it is MS stance.  They eventually could not deny the MRI evidence which was not apparent until 3 Tesla MRI was employed in 2012.  Anyone going through similar trials must not be deterred from pursuing health.  I wish anyone in that similarly, if not identical,  situation the grace to persevere.
Mine started a month after I had a pacemaker put in. Getting tested Monday and Tuesday for the symptoms.
Hello I am having these same sort of shocks that seem to start at my head and travel through my whole body.  Today they are frequent every time I take a step or turn my head.  I cant quite tell what I am doing when these shocks occur.  I went to the chiropractor and got adjusted because of a pinched nerve in my neck.  I was wondering if you found out what is causing your shocks?  Please let me know what you have found.  I am very concerned as it is very uncomfortable.
I too have these. About 4 months it began with a burning in my neck that progressed to electrical shocks in random places (including my head), the progressed to sore weak muscles. It was so bad I lost 15 lbs in maybe 3 weeks because I got so depressed. My dr thinks I have ms. My chiropractor found herniated discs in my back. She never looked at my neck but i get severe tension headaches. I was given a brain scan and it was normal. I still get tingling, shocks and muscle spasms but just a few times per day. I am still scared of what it is. I am 25, i didn't think i would be having problems so young.
Sounds to me like you have Tourette syndrome. (not sure of spelling)
My son has a mild case of it. What you are experiencing seems like a tick.
Try to study that out. It really helped me to understand my son better,after reading about Tourette syndrome.
It never really bothers him, only those around him. It doesn't bother those that know him now, because we've tried educating them about Tourettes & they have a better understanding of it now.
Hope this helps.
HI Mom of 11- Welcome to our group.

This is a pretty old thread, and I'm pretty sure miss_latip no longer visits. I just didn't want you to think she was ignoring you :-)

Kyle
Viewing 201-221 comments: