Multiple Sclerosis Community
Exercising during the Summer
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exercising during the Summer

Hi all,

Well, I know, "heat is the enemy", and that makes for tough times, when trying to exercise during the Summer.
I have my temperature (regulated via air conditioner) around 79 degrees, and it feels comfortable, to my wife.
I, myself, always feel like I'm freezing, no matter how warm it gets.  Heck, I sleep with a sheet and two blankets over me, at night (sometimes I even turn the heat, all the way up, on my heated mattress pad).

Anyways, back to exercise, I use my exercise bike, I do a "warm-up" mile (in about 4 minutes), then a 20 mile "main exercise" (in about 1 hour or 60 minutes), then I finish with a "cool-down" mile (in about 4 minutes).  I have noticed that my blood pressure actually drops, during exercise, the other night to 98 over 52.  My pulse rate, after the "main exercise" is around 120, and after "cool-down" is around 106. (Yes, I actually stop and take my blood pressure and pulse).

When any of you exercise, does your blood pressure drop also?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
572651_tn?1333939396
Sorry but I don't take my BP after exercising - I'm usually prone on the floor trying to recover!  LOL

Interesting that you are cool at 79.  I have my house a/c set at 72 and sometimes that isn't cool enough.  

be well, be active-
Lulu
Blank
If you feel fine after this exercise period, then I'd say go for it.

As we all know, this blasted disease is so different in different people, so there's no one size fits all.

If I were you I'd mention this amount of exercise to both my PCP and my neuro. They might have some good suggestions.

ess
Blank
211940_tn?1267884866
Yes, for me (with this disease, MS), I always feel like I'm freezing, even in the dead of Summer.  Last year, I always had a blanket covering me, even if I was in the living room.
This year, I'm not that bad off, but I still feel like I'm freezing, when I should be burning up.
The only exception to this, is outdoors, outdoors I feel really lousy, hot, fatigued, drained, every gasp of hot humid air, makes it that much worse.
But indoors, it could be 90 degrees, and I would still be under a sheet and two blankets, and have my heated mattress pad on high.

-- Socrates
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank