Eyes
With all of the recent post about eyes I thought I would post this one for opinions. Almost every day for the last couple of months my eyes will start to itch. Not the surrounding area, but the actual eye ball. I have had my eyes itch before but it was always the eye lids or the corner of the eye. After about an hour of itching, which drives me crazy, it will then turn into a burning sensation and my eyes will be watering like crazy.  I use prescribed eye drops for my dry eyes 4 times a day. Even though I will put the drops in my eyes it doesn't stop the itching or burning. I have tried the drops at both stages.

Since it doesn't happen every day or for that matter at any particular time I figure it can't be the eye drops causing the problem.  So now I am thinking that maybe it might be faulty signals due to my MS. Any thoughts on this?

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

From what i'm aware, itching, burning and watery eyeballs would generally be the more common signs of allergy or infection. If the itchy eyeballs precedes the burning and watering and it's also happening at different times and not everyday, to me it actually sounds like it 'could be' an allergic reaction to something eg pollen, grasses, dust, animal, medication, aircon/heating etc.

With allergies when the surface of the eye is exposed to allergens, the allergic reaction starts and itching the itch will release even more histamines causing the symptoms to worsen, which is the main reason why i'm thinking it sounds like it could be an allergic reaction.

Cheers..........JJ    
Hi Dennis, do you by any chance wear contact lenses?

I used to and would get a form of eye allergy called Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis. My eyes would itch in the morning and when I took my contacts out.

Little bumps would form on the inside of the eyelids and rub against the eye. It needed some steroid eye drops to heal.

Corrie
Never had itchy eyes, but I do know that any perceived sensation from the eyeball is actually coming from the surrounding eyelid. I used to have a cold spot in my right eye, at the tear duct.
No I don't wear contact lens. I've also never had the itching when I first get up. If it does start to itch it is late afternoon or evening or late night. Which is another reason I am thinking faulty signals as I am getting run down.

Dennis
I had at first considered allergies, but would think that the eye drops would sooth my eyes. I use refresh classic and refresh celluvisc (which is suppose to relieve irritation) as it is a gel.

Dennis