Fatigue Remedies
So, final dx or not- I NEED some remedies for fatigue. Everyday from 2- 7 pm I am useless. Just so fatigued that even breathing or using my arms/hands is a struggle. I literally cannot move some days...

Years ago I tried Provigil 100 mg and it caused severely achy joints, though it did get me through the whole day, but maybe a lower dose would help. Not sure. I am trying to work in all the vitamins, super B complexes, etc etc. Cannot take Ginseng. Caffeine helps barely. Taurine helps occasionally.

So, what meds or remedies do you use for fatigue?

I know we're all different and require various treatments, but just curious of all the options out there. Thanks!
You're being hit inthe prime time of the day for fatigue - 3 pm is the worst for me.  A few things I find that can help iare
diet- eat some protein at midday - even a spoon of peanut butter helps.

Gentle exercise can also help with the fatigue for some people.  Give it a try and see if you are one of those lucky ones.

see you around,
Laura
Same here. Every day like clockwork. I'm lucky if I can lift my arms or piece together a sentence.

I try to keep moving, because once I sit, I'm done for. I also have some fruit with peanut butter, drink some juice, anything to give my blood sugar a little push to make it through until dinner.

I'm also careful about how much caffeine I take in during the morning, because inevitably I will have a caffeine crash exactly when my body is doing that shut down. The combination is bad news -- just ask my kids!

I'm new to this -- still awaiting official dx, though I do have a transverse myelitis dx in the meantime -- so I'm unfortunately not of too much help. Sorry!

Those are just a couple things I do...

Hang in there!
Energy for MSers is like money in the bank when it is spent it is spent. I have to decide what I want to spend my energy and pace myself. I tried the drugs and they just made me jittery. I find that exercise regularly adds to my energy level. I walk, do yoga, and ride a horse. I have more energy with MS and finishing up Cancer treatments then I have had in years.

I sometimes take cafeine pills for an extra boost.

Alex
No diagnosis here but I do  havethe  same fatigue. My ideal work schedule would be mornings from about 6:30 AM until noon.

I take vitamins and supplements, limit caffeine, and try to eat small, nutritious snacks during the day. By early afternoon, my energy level fades fast. I am completely worthless by the time I get home, and DH has taken over the brunt of household chores. I hate it because I used to be so active! I do go to PT and try to exercise, at least a short walk each day, yet that is getting to be harder and harder.

Best of luck. I certainly understand.

Take care and be blessed,
Hugs, Minnie
Some MSers have found relief with Amantadine, a prescription drug that is very cheap. Why not look it up and see what you think?

Neither that nor Provigil  did me any good, but then I'm really weird when it comes to meds.

Good luck.

ess
A good article on Amantadine is in Wikipedia. See off-label uses.
Thanks, I will check out the amantadine. And caffeine pills. Anyone tried B
shots??

If I don't consume any caffeine I have no energy all day, I also have chronic fatigue so you see how I am doubly screwed in a sense. Plus, I have PEF (post exertion fatigue) so often exercise does me in as well. I do keep up with protein intake, esp in a.m. and lunch time to avoid dropping blood sugar. I learned that the hard way while in college, hehe...

I think I am at the point of pharmaceutical rescue, at least on certain days. I have three young kiddos and hubby works afternoon-nights right now, so resting can be a challenge. It certainly doesn't help either that I have insomnia... what a cycle.
Thanks for your inputs!
3:00 is nap time for me. Big advantage to being retired on disability! I literally cannot stay awake and usually nap for about an hour? I am pretty worthless at this time of day :(

I tried Amantadine for about 6 months and it had no effect on me at all.

A small snack, some coffee and a ride on my recumbent bike all help a bit.
Deb
My meds bless me with at least half a night's sleep, plus I add a melatonin tablet at night for sleep.

However, that said, I too have the 3pm nap clock and can hardly lift my feet some days.  3 shots of expresso at Starbucks will help, but that gets expensive!  I take Provigil (generic) and try to take 100 in the morning and another at about 2pm.  When I forget to take the afternoon one, I can tell.

It appears to be our "dark umbrella", this fatigue thing.....
I can't take Provigil - makes me ITCH.  Am now trying Adderall, also recently diagnosed w/ ADD and it's supposed to help both MS fatigue and ADD.  However, it is considered a controlled substance so here in NJ I can only get a one month supply @ a time - not 3 months like all my other drugs.  There-fore I now have TWELVE co-pays instead of 4.  Makes me furious.  
I'm not even sure if it helps.  But some folks are sure it does.  
Just another idea!  
And I should have added that maybe we need to rethink about pushing through the fatigue and giving ourselves permission to take a brief timeout mid-day to regroup.  I would love an afternoon siesta where we could shutter the doors and shut out the world for an hour every day to rest.  

I do take provigil, and notice a huge difference when I don't take it.
There is a cardiac caution on the Amantadine, so bear that in mind
you take your second dose at 2pm?
I usually take my second between 11 and 12  might try to take it a little later. No work for me today so i only took 1 dose at 6.30 am as was  going to have mri's redone got home at 3pm and went to bed and slept till 7.30  it's almost 10.30 now and will be going back to bed can barely lift my arms now