Multiple Sclerosis Community
Feeling Faint or Disoriented

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Feeling Faint or Disoriented

Just wondering if anyone with MS has spells or episode of feeling faint/weak/disoriented?
I keep having this experience which is extremely scary. I had one this evening leaving Walmart. I'm not sure what brings them on and I haven't been able to pin point any triggers. I'll be fine one moment and the next I have to sit down where ever I'm at b/c I feel very week, my arms will tingle, and I feel like my speech is strange but apparently people are able to understand me, but in my own head my speech sounds very very weird. I would say I know this sounds crazy but I know you guys understand this kind of thing. I told my hubby to drive me to the hospital but after a few minutes I was over the worst of it and just feeling foggy.... love you guys and all the advice you've been giving me lately
In the past year I have fallen twice where I have managed to "fall through the dry wall" falling off of ladders.   It hurts and it can get expensive.   I have fallen about 6-8 times and was taken off my blood pressure medication.  I'm back on 10 mg of Lisinopril again.   Anyhow, the medical folks were quick to blame to BP medications,  but it seems that is is a combination of the BP meds and MS. My docs say it may be "autonomic dysfunction."  

Anyhow, yes.  I would not call it fainting (syncope) but I have lost my balance several times and rather than blaming my BP medications (ace inhibitors), it could be an effect of the MS.  

Talk to your docs about this.  It can sneak up on you.  

Bob  
Hi again,

This can be the result of a lot of variations of disorders (i.e., blood pressure drops, blood flow, etc.). If you haven't done so, please tell the doctor so your pressures can be testing in varying positions and go from there.

And, if you feel this suddenly, get flat. Blood flows quicker to the brain when you are flat. You may recover quickly from the issue while standing, but you can get really hurt from a fall.

-shell
I have episodes like this on and off and what it seems brings mine own is the heat. When it gets hot especially late evening I get that feeling of faintness and disorientation. What my neuro explained is that when my core temp gets so high it brings on that exhausation and the faint disoriented feeling. Also not enough oxygen through the blood to the brain. What works for me is to lay down and relax and try to get my body cool. It most times doesn't last for long, but do mention it to your neuro/doc.

~Mills~
I have this happen and have fainted from it. I was finally sent to an electrophysilogist and he and my neurologist say I have autonomic dysfunction secondary to ms. I am on blood pressure meds also but when this happens my bp is too low to measure. Now I am unable to stand for more than 5 min without getting this way. I was,put on a betablocker and told to drink no less than 150 oz of fluid daily and up salt intake. It has helped to a,degree. Please when you feel this way lie down and put your feet higher than your heart. My last fainting spell I almost fell backwards out of van but thankfully my daughter grabbed me. My drs tell me falls account for more deaths than about anything else. So take precautions. I was too proud to even sit down let alone lay down but not anymore. I don't care where I am when those symptoms hit I am down.lol