Multiple Sclerosis Community
Feels like a baby kicking...

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Feels like a baby kicking...

So, I have recently spent 50 hours online reading about MS symptoms since I was not aware that the symptoms I have been having could all be related until my new-and-wonderfu-listening-compassionate neuro mentioned MS.  I have seen a few times mentioned "restless leg syndrome" type symptoms.  I know there are some muscle cramping issues... but I have no idea if what I am experiencing is what this is.

It feels like there is a baby kicking.  

Does anybody get what I am saying?  I have one daughter and that is the best way I can describe the feeling.  It is like the little flutters you feel when the baby first starts kicking around 18 weeks gestation.  Only not in my stomach.  Does that make sense?  You can see the muscles jumping as well as I can feel them.    In my calf mucles of my left leg.  My left thigh.  My left tushy.  My ribs.  My left arm.  My left jaw.  My upper lip on the left side.  My left eyebrow.  ....and my right eye?  Where did that come from?  I occasionally get one or two little thumps on my right side in random places...(also my bladder, I believe)  but alway on my left...

...ALL FLIPPIN DAY LONG!!!

It is like there is a litter of kids just playing around in my body.  It is distracting.  I notice every single thump.  It stops me in the middle of sentences.  It keeps me from falling asleep.  It wakes me up at night.

I can have weeks with no other symptoms...but this...it never ends.  

Is this Restless Body Syndrome? LOL
I absolutely get what you are saying.  I have even referred to the sensation as "baby fluttering".  My sensations sometimes feel like fluttering, internal twitching, bee buzzing, cell phone buzzing, and currently like I'm soaking in hot water.  It is so weird and difficult to describe to those who have not experienced it.  
I can totally relate!  You can watch them too right??? Thump, thump, thump. . . .  it's nuts!
I've had them in various areas - even in the stomach. Strange when you've had kids, and know that you aren't having anymore, and you know for certain that - that is not it!.  I hope they subside.

Are you getting them all the time? Or, occassional?

SL
I get them mostly right after I do something...like if I go skating, when I am taking off my skates it is really bad.  It's like my body doesn't know it is time to stop, or something.  If I walk across a parking lot, get in my car, then it starts up again.  Other then that it's just every minute or so here and there not always in the same spot over and over, but sometimes.  I get them whenever I am at rest.  I only occasionally notice them if I am moving around...then it is more cramping like my muscles don't know when they are supposed to contract, so they all just do it at the same time.  This is usually in my left thigh or in my ribcage.
I just had this happen about 1 wk ago in my lower right side pelvis area and I told my doctor it was like a baby moving!! Is it ms???
           Sallie
I always just assume that any fluttering in my abdomen is more gas than anything....but really it is the same feeling that I am getting everywhere else.  Where is this coming from?    IDK!
I assumed it was nerves "twitching", but I am not certain.  Time for a little research.  I even had a constant twitch in my right nostril, and smells were all peculiar.  It lasted for several days, and occasionally reappears.
Im not dx yet but i get that i get my husband to watch them as its the only visable thing he can see about my ill ness if you get what i mean, but i have had the same in my tummy too like a baby when its got hipcups a twitching almost deep inside has anyone else had this?
Great topic Aussey!  I had been having the same feelings for about a year prior to my first episode that started in May.  I kept doing pregnancy tests and thinking Wow if I am pregnant it feels like I pretty far along according to that kick or flutter.  Now I have what I would describe as Braxton Hicks contractions.  It feels like an abdominal muscle tightens up and stays that way for a bit and then releases, I also get them in my pelvic area like the pressure you feel when labor first starts.  It is so odd having this body of Symptoms that you all seam to have too but not everyone has a diagnosis.  I try not to concentrate on what is going on as there appears to be no real reason to be alarmed anymore but it can be hard to have all these things going on while you are trying to live life.  I am so grateful to have you all to identify with, commiserate with and enjoy talking to!

Have a nice night!
Kristin  
I have started getting these flutters in my muscles especially in the back of my right leg and yesterday I swear this was happening in my right eyeball!! Freaky twitches!!
I get this all the time but mine feel like baby huey or a baby that was carried 12 months kicking the #@$& out of me.lol  What I'm trying to say if you don't get it is mine hurt.  You can also see them from the outside but they feel more like charlie horses.  I just hate having to always be different.lol  

Mine happen in my legs, my left elbow (right above), and my lower back.  
Aussy, I'm sorry this is happening to you but you sure fit right in with the rest of us.  Have they ran any test yet?  Like an MRI?  I hope you find out something soon.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Tomorrow is my first series of MRI... I am sure to be fine in there.  I have waited too long to screw this one up.  I am just a tad worried about holding still for that long.

Don't you find it fascinating to watch?  As much as it bothers me I have to watch it whenever I can.  How odd of me...I think that at least if I can see them, it's not just my imagination, you know?  I am always to my hubby like, "Hey look at the baby in my leg."  He does.  To humor me?  IDK, but he is being great about it.    

I am sorry yours hurt.  I would go crazy with pain as often as this happens to me.  I do get some cramping on my left thigh and back that is very painful, but this is not something I have all day long.  It comes and goes, and for that at least, I am grateful.
Hi fellow Scorpio!  I also have this but didn't know how to describe it, I've always said muscle twitches.  I like your description much better and it really fits.  Was kinda tired out last night and boy, I had moving babies everywhere!! hee hee hee

Mine are not painful just annoying, the muscle contractions are what send me over the bend.  Arms and ribs are usually the most painful.

Glad you found us, this is a great group of friends!

Love & ((((hugs))))

doni
I am so glad I found this site. I started having the "baby kicks" in my lower left abdomen about 4 days ago. I have been struggling with severe migraines for the last 2 months. I have already had 5 children so I know when I am pregnant or not but this has been perplexing me. I feel like a have a 5 month old bouncing around inside of me but I have no other pregnancy symptoms. I have been getting worried wondering if somehow I am going to be one of those strange cases where a women gives birth and didn't even know she was pregnant. I told my husband tonight that if this kickin hasn't gone in 3 days I need to go to my OBGYN. Maybe I will pay a visit to my regular MD. Or am I gathering that there is no diaganosys for this or help?
I also just turned 40...first the eyes started changing and now this? LOL
Yes, I have the same feelings.  I didn't feel them until after having steroids.  In fact. the steroids take the swelling down and leave me with this!!!  

At first I wanted to say...OHHHHH NOOOOO not another baby!  I am too old!
Hi busyjacqui,
I would encourage you to start a new discussion - this is a very old post and most people won't stop to read it..  I would have to your thoughts to go to waste here.  

Is there a reason why you are thinking MS?

It sounds like you should see you doctor and talk this through . The doc may want to refer you to a neurologist for further testing.  If there is someting wrong, you definitely want to know so you can be proactive.

be well,
Lulu