Multiple Sclerosis Community
Fibromyalgia misdiagnosis, probable MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Fibromyalgia misdiagnosis, probable MS?

Hello all,

for the past three years, I've been experiencing flares that are getting progressively worse. My first flares involved my extremities (swelling, numbness and/or pain), migraines, dizziness, vision changes, and some issues with thinking/memory. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia two years ago, as well as cluster migraines. I was told the issues in my extremities was peripheral neuropathy. Things have only gotten worse, I have not responded to the Neurontin I was prescribed, or the migraine medications. I have been experiencing episodes of severe eye pain in my right eye, and the inability to see out of it. when I try to walk down the stairs, it's as though I am being electrocuted through the arch of my right foot and it radiates up my leg. My ability to think and form thoughts takes a lot of effort. I feel like I can't find words and that I get confused, like my brain isn't absorbing information. I have to write everything down, and be reminded about things. I trip a lot, have fatigue. I wake up often at night because of pain, and never feel rested. I have IBS and issues emptying my bladder completely. Most of my weird electric shocks of pain sensations are happening on my right side. I don't know what to do, and am waiting for my new internist to receive my medical records from my old doctor. I'm currently flaring badly, in a lot of pain and even writing this out is taking a lot of effort. editing and re-editing. Thoughts?
Your symptoms sound kinda like both diseases. Tell us more about your diagnosis.  Have you seen a neurologist or had any MRI's?  Maybe an Ophthalmologist for your eye?  Sounds like you definitely need to see a doctor to help you through this flare.  The dosage on the neurontin can be increased possibly to try and help more.  I'm sure others will chime in with more advice.  

Hoping you can get some answers and relief soon!

))HUGS((
Jeny
I started falling down with my right-side weakness yesterday, so my boyfriend took me to the ER. The doc I was assigned listened to everything: Over the last four years, I've found it harder and harder to think and focus, like trying to pull my thoughts out of mud. I can't remember things and I have to make notes for EVERYTHING. In the last year I've had four episodes of sharp pain behind my right eye and then I can't see for a day or so because my center vision is blurry and the outside is fuzzy. Lately I've had more frequent episodes of a sort of electric stabbing sharp pain that runs from the arch of my foot up my leg when I step down and radiating pain from my shoulder down my right arm. They did a CT to rule out brain bleed and ran blood work. She and her attending both believe it's MS and told me to follow up with my primary and get an MRI.
I probably still have fibromyalgia, but this isn't it.
you can have both dx.  have you seen a neurontin?  you really should.
let us know how it goes.  If you do not have to have a referral, go straight to a neurologist......
I'm going to my primary tomorrow and will likely be referred to a neurologist by him. I will also be referred for an MRI. With my insurance, I need referrals for EVERYTHING
Understand, have been there, done that.  and make sure you get copies of everything, doctor notes (even your primary) and MRI discs and radiology reports, start a file; many of us do, I carry mine when on trips, I never know when I might wind up in the ER and need my doctor's letter stating I have MS.  I know I couldn't walk the straight line if stopped in a traffic stop!  ha ha

Keep us posted!  You are most welcome here.
Thank you so much! I appreciate it greatly.
I saw my doctor today. He agrees it is probably MS, and we're moving forward with the MRI to confirm. I'm worried...I've read so many posts of others with symptoms like mine, what if the MRI doesn't show lesions? Having spoken with friends who have MS, and communicating with others online, I finally feel like this is what's going on with my health, after five years of enduring these progressively worsening symptoms. I don't want MS, no one does...but at least treatment can begin and give me some of my life back. I hope this is the answer.
Im sorry you may have MS.  It sounds though like you are on your way to getting some definitive answers.  At least you have a neuro that is listening to you and I'm sure will help with treating your symptoms no matter how the MRI goes.  Try not to worry and keep your chin up.  We are here for you with any questions you have or just to listen!

))HUGS((
Jeny
Have you consulted with your doctor about Mvcoplasma?