Multiple Sclerosis Community
Fighting Colds and Other Illness

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Fighting Colds and Other Illness

Does anyone else on here have a hard time fighting off colds and other ailments? I had 4 sinus infections between The beginning of September and the middle of November. Since about the 3rd week of November I have been sick with one thing or another. It seems like a I just can't shake it. I've have been to the doctor.  I'm just wondering if this is an MS thing or a just really crappy luck thing.
T-cells start out inactive, but once triggered they become killer cells that seek out and destroy viruses and bacteria.  Researchers from the University of Copenhagen have found that T-cells will lie dormant unless they can find vitamin D.

Everyone living north of 35° latitude will receive no UVB rays (that create vitamin D) between the months of November through March due to the angle of the sun.  2/3rd of the US and all of Canada are above the 35° latitude mark.  Michigan has a latitude of 42°. The further away you live from the equator (0° latitude), the higher the risk of MS which is why vitamin D deficiency is a listed risk factor for MS.
I'm on a supplement. Perhaps I better bump it up!

Thanks!

This question was recently addressed on the www.msanswers.ca site.

"Q : Since the immune system is in "over-drive" with MS will I get sick less often? Will my overactive immune system keep colds and flu away?

A : The immune dysfunction in MS is specifically directed against certain components of the central nervous system. Individuals with MS are not at higher or lower risk of contracting infections than the general population."

------

I've had fewer colds since my MS dx.  There is no way to know for sure why this is, but I think it could be due to the fact that since dx I take 6,000 iu/day of Vitamin D and am no longer deficient as I was when I was first dx'ed.  In several studies, vitamin D deficiency has been linked to increased risk for cold and flu
sorry I sent the above before I included a preface.  Soneone else here had posted about an article they'd read that suggested that MS patients may catch fewer colds because of having an overactive immube system.  The ost above this one was my response to that question but I thinkit answers yours as well.
Good question...something I am constantly correcting people in regards to my immune system because they assume that my immune system is underactive.

I don't really understand it myself, but this shed some light on it.  I no longer get colds or the flu, I reminded my husband of that just recently, and yet I never feel good.  I have my good and bad days and all of those in between.

thanks, meg