First Avonex Injection
Last night I had my first Avonex injection.  I had a lot of hesitation about going on any drug, but figured I need to fight MS.  The injection did not hurt at all.  After the medicine was in it stung just a little bit.  I woke up at 2:30 in the morning with the chills and by 5 I had the full flu like symptoms.  By 3 in the afternoon, I felt pretty good except for a headach, but I've been having frequent headaches lately anyway. I was very nervous about taking the shot, but it really wasn't bad at all.  I'm praying that the flu like symptoms will deminish as time goes on.  Michelle
Hi, Michelle. You did fine!

Next week, take a good anti-flu-like med before your shot. I take 2 Aleve, because it's long-lasting. Also, if possible, take an Ambien or other sleep med. You may well sleep through the whole thing.

I nearly always do. Many people's reactions to interferons gets much less as time goes by. Mine haven't (well over two years) but premedicating as I've described works wonders. I have very little to complain of with Avonex.

ess
Great job!!  The first injection is the most difficult, and I applaud you for being able to do it yourself. Self injecting was my biggest hurdle, fortunately my sister offered to give me my first injections until I was able to do them on my own.

When I was on Avonex it helped me to take an ibuprofen or Tylenol before I did the injection. Sometimes in the beginning I would still wake up with the chills, but after time they subsided. In fact, after taking the medication for awhile I stopped taking the pain relievers because they were no longer necessary.

Also a Michelle ;)
I tried Aleve this week and my symptoms were not as bad.  I also took a sleep aid, but I'm a bad sleeper anyway.  I still woke up several times during the night, but your suggestions did help.  Thanks alot.

Michelle
Michelle,

I just wanted to say I'm glad that the aleve helped a bit.

Hang in there - I hope that it gets easier and less symptoms each week!

Hugs,
Erin :)
So its been a year now.  I only missed 1 injection the whole year.  My recovery days are up and down.  I have figured out that if I take my injection out of the frig at least 6 hours before I inject, then the next day goes much much better.  But, I am starting to wonder if the Avonex is working for me because I am having more symptoms.  

I am also looking for a new neurologist.  The last visit with my neurologist left me feeling baffled.  He just didn't know why I am feeling vibrations in my body especially when I am lying down.  He has not taught me anything about this disease or my condition.  How do you determine if ms is progressing or not if your doctor just does a neuro exam and your physical exam is good.  

It has taken the better part of this year for me to come to terms with having this disease.  Now I need to learn more about it.  If some one has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Michelle