Multiple Sclerosis Community
First Avonex Injection
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

First Avonex Injection

Last night I had my first Avonex injection.  I had a lot of hesitation about going on any drug, but figured I need to fight MS.  The injection did not hurt at all.  After the medicine was in it stung just a little bit.  I woke up at 2:30 in the morning with the chills and by 5 I had the full flu like symptoms.  By 3 in the afternoon, I felt pretty good except for a headach, but I've been having frequent headaches lately anyway. I was very nervous about taking the shot, but it really wasn't bad at all.  I'm praying that the flu like symptoms will deminish as time goes on.  Michelle
Tags: avonex
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi, Michelle. You did fine!

Next week, take a good anti-flu-like med before your shot. I take 2 Aleve, because it's long-lasting. Also, if possible, take an Ambien or other sleep med. You may well sleep through the whole thing.

I nearly always do. Many people's reactions to interferons gets much less as time goes by. Mine haven't (well over two years) but premedicating as I've described works wonders. I have very little to complain of with Avonex.

ess
Blank
1447542_tn?1318030681
Great job!!  The first injection is the most difficult, and I applaud you for being able to do it yourself. Self injecting was my biggest hurdle, fortunately my sister offered to give me my first injections until I was able to do them on my own.

When I was on Avonex it helped me to take an ibuprofen or Tylenol before I did the injection. Sometimes in the beginning I would still wake up with the chills, but after time they subsided. In fact, after taking the medication for awhile I stopped taking the pain relievers because they were no longer necessary.

Also a Michelle ;)
Blank
I tried Aleve this week and my symptoms were not as bad.  I also took a sleep aid, but I'm a bad sleeper anyway.  I still woke up several times during the night, but your suggestions did help.  Thanks alot.

Michelle
Blank
649926_tn?1297661380
Michelle,

I just wanted to say I'm glad that the aleve helped a bit.

Hang in there - I hope that it gets easier and less symptoms each week!

Hugs,
Erin :)
Blank
So its been a year now.  I only missed 1 injection the whole year.  My recovery days are up and down.  I have figured out that if I take my injection out of the frig at least 6 hours before I inject, then the next day goes much much better.  But, I am starting to wonder if the Avonex is working for me because I am having more symptoms.  

I am also looking for a new neurologist.  The last visit with my neurologist left me feeling baffled.  He just didn't know why I am feeling vibrations in my body especially when I am lying down.  He has not taught me anything about this disease or my condition.  How do you determine if ms is progressing or not if your doctor just does a neuro exam and your physical exam is good.  

It has taken the better part of this year for me to come to terms with having this disease.  Now I need to learn more about it.  If some one has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Michelle
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949